Legal services in Mexico

Hello,

Legal services can be a headache when you don't have the relevant and necessary information, especially upon moving to a new country. Please share some tips regarding legal services in Mexico.

What types of legal services might an expat need in Mexico?

Are legal services easily accessible?

What are the best ways to go about finding a professional for your legal needs in Mexico? (e.g. online, yellow pages, word of mouth)?

What are the most affordable options for legal services (private, public, etc.)? Is there a range regarding fees?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Priscilla wrote:

Hello,

Legal services can be a headache when you don't have the relevant and necessary information, especially upon moving to a new country. Please share some tips regarding legal services in Mexico.

What types of legal services might an expat need in Mexico?

Are legal services easily accessible?

What are the best ways to go about finding a professional for your legal needs in Mexico? (e.g. online, yellow pages, word of mouth)?

What are the most affordable options for legal services (private, public, etc.)? Is there a range regarding fees?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

In Mexico, the embassy can give you names of expat-friendly Lawyers. Reasons to need a lawyer are the same as anywhere else.

Buying, selling, and building mostly. They might also be necessary with used items, and some properties or used cars. That is because  Mexico can have numerous owners on documents. And they can have relationships that are not formal but still shift legal requirements. Like people who live together but are not married who are legally recognized as having rights in some way, but not the same legal rights a spouse would have. That is very complex.

One thing that is different here is the power of the notary. In the U.S they just notarize paperwork, here they can write up legal certified agreements.

With some issues, there are free government agencies to talk to. Yep, you have to get a number and sit in line but they do exist.

When in doubt get a lawyer.

Hello,I think I not have any problem about legal services and in mexico legal services not have any issue it's so easy here all people's are so friendly.

Running to an attorney should not always be the first step. I found that going to the "bi-lingual investigator" helped to explain my options. I am now going to a mediator and because I am a party 3 of 3 of a 3 person party to a land purchase, the 2nd party must sue the 1st party initially.

So I have not spent one penny on a lawyer as of today because everyone is so money hungry and I just won't have it....Not until it is mandatory, at least. I will give mediation a chance for resolve before jumping more into debt.

I suggest exploring your options first!

Good luck,

Debbie