Legal services in Japan

Hello,

Legal services can be a headache when you don't have the relevant and necessary information, especially upon moving to a new country. Please share some tips regarding legal services in Japan.

What types of legal services might an expat need in Japan?

Are legal services easily accessible?

What are the best ways to go about finding a professional for your legal needs in Japan? (e.g. online, yellow pages, word of mouth)?

What are the most affordable options for legal services (private, public, etc.)? Is there a range regarding fees?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hello,
I`ll say it depends on what kind(s) of legal situation we are talking about here.I have not been personally exposed to any serious legal needs (but) my guess is, it is time consuming and expensive (maybe not a good idea especially for an ordinary expat).
However,I`ve seen people (Lawyers) advertise on Tokyo Notice Board (services section),Tokyo Metropolis Magazine.Craig`s list etc. As I said, I`ve never tried any of them and I don`t know how effective they are or how much they charge for their services.Depending on the situation, you can also get some `legal` help through your country`s Embassy in Japan (if you contact in time of need & if you are lucky to be from one of those good/civilized countries.).