Legal services in Australia

Hello,

Legal services can be a headache when you don't have the relevant and necessary information, especially upon moving to a new country. Please share some tips regarding legal services in Australia.

What types of legal services might an expat need in Australia?

Are legal services easily accessible?

What are the best ways to go about finding a professional for your legal needs in Australia? (e.g. online, yellow pages, word of mouth)?

What are the most affordable options for legal services (private, public, etc.)? Is there a range regarding fees?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Legal fees are expensive in Australia like most countries.  Avoid legal fees where possible. The most likely legal fee that an expatriate will incur will be conveyancing fees when buying a residence. You have the choice of using a) a lawyer (solicitor) or b) a conveyancing agent. A conveyancing agent will usually be cheaper. Most employees in Australia use a registered tax agent to complete their annual Tax Return. Fees vary from $120 to $150 and are tax deductible.

Priscilla
Legal Services are very accessible in Australia.
Irrespective of your particular legal needs my suggestion is that you start by ignoring all advertising, after all what people say about themselves is generally exaggerated, instead ask around- ask people whose opinions you respect.
My next suggestion is to contact the Law Society of whatever state you're in. They will give you three names in any particular area of law.
I hope this is of assistance.
Jonathan