Pool Problem

Our pool is losing water.  We have all the lines: skimmers, jets and floor drain plugged...and we are still losing water?  We've inspected everything there doesn't seem to be any cracks/etc.  Anyone have this problem before?  I can't imagine it's just evaporation...anyone know what the evaporation rate is in this climate and season?  (It's an 11-12K gallon pool)

Must have a hole in the liner somewhere.  Problem is where?  If you find an easy way to locate it, please share...:)  Probably you will have to call a pool guy or drain it and put in a new liner if you can't find the leak.  Crazy glue works well on seams...

no liner...it's concrete.  We need to let it drain and see if it stabilizes at some point in which case we should be able to locate the problem...if it keeps draining until it dry...then we have a crack somewhere in the bottom...but we can't see it...*sigh*  I'll keep people posted as things progress.

wow.  And a bad time to not have use of your pool,!

we can use it thankfully...just have to fill it to maintain level....luckily there is currently no drought!  Love the new picture, planner!

Gracias.....   :shy

Bad news.  It probably isn't worth the cost but there are people that can fix that without draining it.  Otherwise, drain, dry, Identify, repair and then a complete coat of sealer which was probably never applied in the beginning...good luck.  Welcome to the world of concrete.

Gunite is great, but must be allowed to cure, AND, then a proper waterproof pool paint applied.  Add water until the cooler season, then drain in increments & see if the loss slows or stops. That will give you a starting point. Allow to totally dry & inspect. Concrete is never completely impermeable without a sealer.  Pitched concrete roofs allow water to run off. Ponding water will always penetrate & seep. In this climate, with the sun & trade winds, it is not uncommon for a large surface area pool to lose an inch or so in a week or ten days. If you keep the pool full to the combing or if activity splashes high, the problem may lie at the joint of wall & combing.  What ever it is, I hope that it is an easy fix for you.

Does anyone no where one can find marine putty/ two component epoxy glue, etc. on North Coast? Unfortunately, we have only one 'pool store' on Cabrera and we aren't having a lot of luck with the owner.

Get a 5 gallons bucket fill it with pool water mark the water level. Place the bucket on the pool stairs  mark the pool water level.
Check if the bucket loose the same amount of water.  (Evaporation)

Most of the time the leak is at the skimmer.check for crack between the plastics and concrete at the skimmer.. is cracked seal using hydraulic cement. It is easy.

OK...pool problem has escalated to a need now for a referral of someone on the north coast who resurfaces pools...not just paint...Any suggestions?

PM me, may have people whom may be able to help.  Most pool problems happen at the top of the wall or even worse, at the bottom juncture of side wall & bottom.  Flexible seals are utilized to control minor fluctuations in the ground. Expensive to correct. If the loss is not much lower than the coping, perhaps lowering the water level & using a Marine sealant such as B 5200 or equal.  If all else fails, have a BBQ & ask the neighbors!

Thanks, Tinker.  I think we just need to bite the bullet and get it remodeled with Diamond Bright.  It will be expensive...but the pool sat unused for many years...and we were surprised it was water tight when we bought it...so, we have been anticipating a renovation...but, we are going to let it drain to see if leak stabilizes at some point which can gives us a specific place...we thinks it's behind the light...but, that doesn't mean it can't be several places...my understanding is that during the resurfacing they reseal all the skimmers, intakes, jets/etc.  PM me if you know someone with a good reputation for renovating pools.

Bummer... hope you find the help you need.

Sorry we were not able to catch time together. We come back on October 11th, bringing friends with us this time. Maybe see you then?

That might be around the time we're back for a closing...but with the pool stuff, we might have to come back sooner...bummer... ;)

Coming back sooner and bummer do not belong in the same sentence. 😎

Christie, you are so sharp & on the ball. It will be a pleasure to see you & your laconic spouse again at the F.L.  He is also a cool dude.

UPDATE: So, for other pool owners on the north coast. We currently have no leaks in our pool. I fished around for references on FB's Sosua/Cabarete sites and got 4 separate recommendations for Dr. Pool (Jorge Alvarez) and he was quick to respond, speaks decent English and I would definitely recommend. I would, as always, suggest someone always be present during work...we had really only one issue and that was for the sealing and staining of the concrete pool deck...not for the actual Diamond Brite resurfacing. That turned out great.  I updated my profile picture with a picture where the pool color can be seen...I really don't know how to share photos...I'll try uploading under my profile...