Moving to Edinburgh

Hi there,

My name is Stacey and I am from Canada. I am in the preliminary stages of my research to move to Edinburgh. We will be making the move probably in 2 years after I am finished school. I have quite a bit of information in regards to the visa I will applying for (ancestry visa) so I am set there. I am applying for the 5-year visa and play it by ear. Our hope is to stay at least 2-3 years so we can travel more of Europe before grandchildren come...lol I was wondering if anyone here has located to Scotland in their 50's? My husband is concerned about finding work being older and being able to make a decent living. Also, I am wanting some feedback on areas to live in while in Edinburgh. We want an area that isn't ridiculously expensive but also doesn't cater to younger or partying folks and obviously safety is a must. We will also be bringing our dog with us so maybe someplace close to a dog-friendly park.

If anyone can provide some information it would be greatly appreciated!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Details on applying for a UK ancestry visa can be found at this link.  The only thing I will offer regarding this is that Brexit is causing a lot of fuss with UK immigration, your proposed date of move is after the UK supposedly falls over the cliff, so who knows what will happen; you may well find us floating off the coast near Halifax NS. :)  Scotland may, or may not be part of the UK by then, so a UK ancestry visa may no longer be valid there.

Edinburgh is almost certainly the most expensive part of Scotland; for cost of living information, check out the Numbeo website; this link will take you there.

Regarding your husband's prospects of finding work; depends on his skill-set really; if he can turn his hand to something that is in demand, he will probably find work; if not, he will almost certainly struggle (ageism is alive and kicking in the UK).

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi there thanks for the quick reply. I am hoping the ancestry visa will be an option for me in a couple years as my grandfather was actually born in Scotland. We have chosen Edinburgh because that was the city I fell in love with to make me want to move abroad. As well, we are not sure about owning a car there so living in a larger city with transportation options is a must for us. My husband is an electronics engineer right now working in a plant that makes cardboard ice cream packages and tubs. He installs machines and does maintenance along with electrical work so... finger crossed he can find something. After I am done school I will be in Tourism Management I am hoping that is a portable career. I am excited to be a part of this community.

Stacey