Pros and cons to move to London

Hi everyone!

I finally need a chatroom to ballast questions that have been bottling up my brains these few days. I am a Singaporean and applied for a new job internally in London. While part of me yearns very much for a new living in a bigger, more vibrant city, part of me feels skeptical whether I should take the plunge, with concerns mainly over career, salary and the future.

So here are my questions.
1) Many people told me that the East Asia is better because even people from the West are swamping here for jobs, which I do see it in the recent years. But from my readings over the internet, Brexit seems to be the greatest uncertainty to London' economy and thus the biggest concern at macro level. Also, a friend of mine now in London doing finance feels that London is still doing well. Do you seen any possibilities that London might lose it's footing in the global market?

2) How much do you think a single woman could survive and possibly save in London every month? We haven't got to the stage on payout but I do hope I don't suffer too much a net-loss. I have to admit that I am saving a decent 60% of my monthly net salary as I am living with my parents and I know I wouldn't be able to hoard this huge proportion of my income in London. I am willing to stay as far as zone 3, the East or North of London, bring my own lunches to work, etc.

3) Lastly, I am not sure of the working culture but I presume it would be ten times more stressful than in Singapore. Should I failed in London, do you think there might be other opportunities elsewhere (perhaps even out of UK) in the commodities industry?

Keen to hear sound advice from everyone.

Thanks
youdunsay

Welcome to the Forum :)

With regards to Brexit, no one really knows there has been a lot of talks this and that will leave. But London globally will always be a major player. Just as it was in the past before the common market and the EU existed.

I would class London as one of the most expensive cities to live in, in Europe. The Numbeo website will give you details on the cost of living to give you an idea, rent, food etc....

I have no experience in the commodities industry but whatever you do and where ever you live can be stressful from one place to the next.

Should you take the plunge and move to London, you would not be stuck for things to do on your time off and great for the CV to say that you have worked in London, providing its a BIG named company.

If you have any more questions, feel free to come back and ask away.

SimCityAT
Expat Team

Consider crime, dirt, drugs, and terrible behaviour before you decide.
Knife crime is a mess, and drug dealers infest the place.

Fred wrote:

There is that, my sister loved living in London, but I couldn't. We are all different.

I was born and brought up in London; later in my working life, I went back there many times for work reasons.  There is nothing that would persuade me to ever move back there too live.

I can understand the attraction for a temporary work-placement, but that would be all.

SimCityAT wrote:
Fred wrote:

There is that, my sister loved living in London, but I couldn't. We are all different.

The world would be boring if we were all the same.

To the point, Singapore doesn't appear to have the terrible behaviour we know goes on in London, so they might well be shocked like crazy.
Researching the massive crime issue would be a good idea before committing to a move, especially if you're from a place with a far smaller crime problem.

https://www.met.police.uk/sd/stats-and- … dashboard/

I altered the date to Jan to May 2018, seeing 103,000 violent crimes against the person in that time.
Pretty nasty.

Hi Cynic, just curious but is it the crime rate that makes you not wanting to go back?

Many things, significant crime (murder, drugs) is one of them.  More significantly, the pollution in many parts of London is dangerous to your health; social services are at breaking point; the cost of housing is beyond the reach of most people; social housing is virtually non-existent and the place is filthy dirty in comparison to some other areas of the UK.

If I had to choose and had to move to one of the places on any list, London would be my very last choice.

If you only concentrate on work, well being no need to worry. No need to be friendly until you know somebody closely. People are good and bad everywhere. Its not about one country or city. London is so beautiful BTW.

+ So many different people
+ Opportunities working in best companies in the world
+ So many places where you can spend your free time (bars, restaurants and etc.)

- So many people during peak time
- Quite unsafe in specific areas
- So pricy living there (Even if you have proper, office job.)