Living Safely in Thailand

My wife (Thai) and I are considering moving back to Thailand as my work circumstances are likely to change to a 4 week on 4 week off roster which will favor us moving back. We were looking at moving to the Rayong area vs. where we were previously in Khon Kaen near family there.

My question is based on the response that my mother in law gave my wife being that Thailand is not safe anymore. It has only been 4 years since we last lived there although our living situation would be somewhat different as I would be away from home for 4 weeks leaving my wife and two young children on their own. Her response was quite surprising and she narrowed it down to her fear that with my not being there if we were to buy a comfortable house it would leave us open to being robbed, home invaded or our children being kidnapped.

My personal feeling is that this is a bit of overkill although family being the most important thing I was hoping for some feedback from a wider group.

My questions are these.

Do you feel safe living in Thailand and would you also feel safe leaving a wife with two young children home without being there for extended periods?

What areas would you recommend to live with good international schools (avoiding Bangkok if possible) that are considered safe?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

It's simple, in this case I would not stay in a house. The best living situation would be to rent a condo, with high quality security. Make friends with the security on site, explain to the management office your concerns. A gift to them of cookies or cake can go a long ways to help provide them to looking after your safety.  Patrick

I fell very safe here in Thailand. So for me it is "OverKill"

But yea, Even in Thailand bad thing can happened,  Like all over the world.

Maybe ask you wife about being with the kids for 4 weeks when you work.
She might want to be closer to some family for help and support in daily life ?
And like many others Thai, She have family many place in Thailand.

I prefer house over Condo, The security in many condo is a joke, And i do think it is "False" security.
Many condo the noise can be a pain, Special in the newer build Condo tower i live in.
Not so much in the "old" Condo i live in.

At a small Soi, People stick together, Look out for stranger, interferes if they see someone they dont know, or think look like "Danger" to the neighborhood.

Like when the wife and i was away, There was a problem with our water tank, And water starte come out, And out to the Soi, So people can see it.

A neighbor closed for the water at the street, jump over the wall, look inside the tank.
See that the item that get push up and water stop have broken.
Fix it for us before we return, So we didnt have to come back, And do that our self.
Yes, I love my Thai neighbors.

And many house have area around the house for the kids to play and have fun.
And room for a family dog, Maybe ?

Kindly.

Thanks for the response. This was my line of thinking but perhaps a house within a block of lots with security gate etc.

Neighborhood watch. Community watch. Increasing danger is not just in Thailand. It's everywhere in this sad old world of ours. Worldly common sense. Sadly, that picturesque scenario of the house in the countryside on the country road, which is where I grew up and played in the forest, has changed.
     But, hmmm, come to think of it, I had a big dog as a companion to hike with when I was a little kid. Gentle. Loving. But would attack on command. Saved me once from a big bad gang that tried to drown me in a swimming hole just for fun.
     Maybe have two (2) trained guard dogs and one (1) little yapping watchdog that acts as a house alarm system. Completes the family. But these puppies need their exercise, their walks, their toilet, their exploring, good food, clean water and medical attention. 
     Depending on where you live, dogs can be great security. However, there are some nasty dog-napping gangs who poach and who would like to steal the dogs along with the kids.
     Tough, decision. Bottom line: Safety first. Hopefully you can find a way to work closer to home and rest easy.   dcb

My take on this is that the MIL simply doesn't want you living far away or investing money anywhere other than in the immediate area where the family lives and can benefit from that investment.  I would emphasize what you and your wife want but that is often easier said than done.

A nice condo or gated community should provide a buffer between you and the most desperate members of society.  I have personally never felt unsafe here in Thailand and I have not led a sheltered existence.  That said, I have known a few people who got themselves in real trouble, even dead, because they saw themselves as invulnerable.  You sound sensible so you shouldn't have any problem finding a nice place for you and your family to live.

I have to say I have never felt unsafe here in Thailand. Of course one should always be sensible and use a bit of street savvy anywhere in the world.
I agree with living in a house where you know you neighbours is better than living in a condo where people come and go.
In our small village near Pattaya (only 14 homes and gated) we have had only 1 break in in 14 years and that was from the factory next door when someone climbed over the wall and robbed a vacant home.
We never even lock our doors when we go shopping although we do have 6' walls and an auto gate. We also have 7 beagles that make a lot of noise if they hear visitors, so a pet or 2 does help.
Hope you find somewhere suitable.