Indian Moving to Nairobi - Seeking Guide

Hello I am from india and I have got a job offer from a renowned company in india for Nairobi location. I am a Chartered Accountant with over 6 years of experience. They have offered me 27000 USD(approx)+accommodation+car+petrol+driver+to and fro tickets to india+all utility bills. I will be shifting with my wife.

Is this a good job offer, or shall I bargain more ? Is it safe for a wife to stay alone there while day time ? Is it safe for wife to work there ? She is a fashion designer.

Kindly help.

I think that 27,000 which is effectively pocket money would be fine, but I am not really up to date with wages.

It would be quite safe for your wife to be alone while you are out at work.  Your accommodation is likely to be in a secured compound for one thing.

As far as your wife working is concerned, she will need to obtain a work permit in her own right.  She would need to apply for employment and the prospective employer would apply for the work permit.  Work permits for foreigners are currently a subject of intense scrutiny, by the government, so she would really have to be offering skills which cannot be found locally.  I am unsure whether fashion design would meet this criteria.

For self employment, she would need to register a company, then apply for a Class G Permit, to be able to work.  One of the requirements is that you have at least $100,000 of capital to be invested.

Normally, you would apply for a Dependents Pass for any family members, which allows them to remain in Kenya for the duration of your work permit........although working is prohibited with this permit.