Register for more than 3 months

Hi everyone.
For the benefit of anyone thinking to register in Pleven for the first time, I give you the benefit of my experience this week.
Requirements :
1. Application form.
Help needed with an English speaking person.
2. Copy of National passport
You will need 2 copies
2a. A translation into Bulgarian of your EHIC or medical insurance certificate issued by the national  revenue agency. Costs for this 26 BGN
3. Bank reference
You must have 510 BGN and it must be a letter of reference from the bank. A stamped statement is not accepted. In my case a letter had to be written to the bank requesting this and the charge was 15 BGN. (Allianz)
4. Fee. 7 BGN for the application and either 18 BGN for the 4 week service or 36 BGN for the express 3 day service.
5. A copy of the notary deed and declaration of the address from your landlord or the notarial act for the house. You will also have to show the original document.
Payment cannot be made at the office, it can only be done at an easypay office. The migration office give you an account number for the transfer.
Photocopying and translation services are nearby but you have to find them yourself. Nothing is done at migration except the taking of your photo after everything is validated. This was not done the same day, had to return the following day after validation.
I think that's everything.  Hope it helps someone.
It was extremely an extremedy frustrating experience going backwards and forwards to various places but at least I am now official!
Oh, one last thing, when you get your initial plastic card you also need to make a photocopy of it.
Gerald

Thanks Gerald

Are you English?

That does sound like a lot of hard work. So much for free/easy movement across the EU....

Hi
Yes English.  Yes it was a lot of hard work, more than other people seem to have in other areas.

Hi,

In your paragraph 2a you talk about a national revenue agency.
I am British and the EHIC is issued by the NHS. It has nothing to do with the revenue.   

2a. A translation into Bulgarian of your EHIC or medical insurance certificate issued by the national  revenue agency. Costs for this 26 BGN

Hi.
I didn't say that it was. The EHIC is of course from the UK and the National Revenue Agency is the alternative insurance document from Bulgaria. You would use whichever is appropriate to your circumstances.
The cost was 13 BGN per translation hence 26 BGN total.
Gerald

Thank you for the clarification.

mountainview wrote:

Thanks Gerald

Are you English?

That does sound like a lot of hard work. So much for free/easy movement across the EU....

There is freedom of movement, but like most of the EU, you have to register in the country where you are. The UK is about one of the only country where you don't have to. Even citizens of the country have to.

SimCityAT wrote:
mountainview wrote:

Thanks Gerald

Are you English?

There is freedom of movement, but like most of the EU, you have to register in the country where you are. The UK is about one of the only country where you don't have to. Even citizens of the country have to.

I dont understand what you mean, please explain.

Cheers.

Even if one has an EHIC card with say 3 years left on it, before moving to Bulgaria is it possible to get a new EHIC card for free with the maximum 5 years on it?

Cheers

When a Bulgarian moves to a new city in Bulgaria, they have to change their address with the local municipality. They have to take their current ID and either a notarized rental agreement or their landlord (or a copy of their ownership if they own) to the municipality building. They fill out a form, pay a fee, and change their address. If they want to update their identity card along with the new address, they must pay to do so. They have 30 days after moving to register their new address with the municipality.

In Plovdiv, they didn't ask me for the UK EHIC card translation, just for a photocopy. In fact, I didn't have to provide any translations.

A EHIC is standard across the EU, doesn't matter what country has issued it. They all look the same.

mountainview wrote:

Even if one has an EHIC card with say 3 years left on it, before moving to Bulgaria is it possible to get a new EHIC card for free with the maximum 5 years on it?

Cheers

#The EHIC is for use when you go on holidays or extended trips. It's not to be used if you have changed your country of residence.

mountainview wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:
mountainview wrote:

Thanks Gerald

Are you English?

I dont understand what you mean, please explain.

Cheers.

You said "So much for free/easy movement across the EU" There is, we don't need to queue up at border crossings, have our passports looked at and stamped. It's very easy compared to what it was like in the 80's.

But registering in a country is done across the EU, each country has their own set of ways and it's not really complicated. You just need to do the homework for the said country.

No, the new card will be issued with the same expiry date as the old one unless there is just a month or so left on the old one.

SimCityAT,   you cannot register for extended stay in Bulgaria unless you have a EHIC, it is the first thing the immigration people ask for.

Rapbom wrote:

SimCityAT,   you cannot register for extended stay in Bulgaria unless you have a EHIC, it is the first thing the immigration people ask for.

I have no time now, but I would look up the EU rules and regulations regarding the use of the European Health Insurance Card  (EHIC).

SimCityAT wrote:
mountainview wrote:

Cheers

#The EHIC is for use when you go on holidays or extended trips. It's not to be used if you have changed your country of residence.

Yes it is. It is mandatory for when moving to Bulgaria from GB, and if I recall correctly, from what i have read, a long term residence permit (for up to five years for EU citizens) will only be issued for the amount of time left on a persons EHIC card.
So to save problems, i want to know if it is possible to and wise to get a new EHIC card for five years just before moving to Bulgaria, rather than taking the EHIC card that has less than five years remaining.

They will issue a replacement card with the same expiry date as the old one.
It happened to us.

Rapbom wrote:

They will issue a replacement card with the same expiry date as the old one.
It happened to us.

Where did they send the new card?

To our old UK address, we have a forwarding service from Royal Mail to our Bulgaria PO box.
Hope this helps.

Hi Gerald
Your post was really helpful to me as I've just brought a house in Pleven (Lozitsa) and I need to register, so thank you for a great post!

Could we go back to the EHIC card because I am just not understanding. Do we need health insurance? Or just a EHIC card? I thought we needed health insurance to stay in Bulgaria and so I've been looking at health insurance and it is really pricey! Like £70-£80 a month for the duration of our stay in Bulgaria - well, I plan to live there forever and so it is a lot of money to me. Could I skip with health insurance and just wing it on a EHIC card?

You can use the EHIC but it's breaking the law. Just like every other EU country after 3 month stay you have to provide that you adequate health insurance, now this can be if you are working and just the UK you are cover by the national health service as you are paying into it. Or you show you have private cover.

They getting tough on people that misuse the NHS, as the EHIC is meant to be used just for holidays and trips out of the country if they found you to be using this as free health care while not residence then you could get in trouble.

Anyhow, who knows what will happen with Brexit, if the UK leaves the EU, and thus the EHIC is void. What do you have?

Hi.
You're welcome. I'm glad it was useful for you.
You only need the EHIC for the registration. I was quoting the regulations for other types of insurance if you don't have an EHIC.
Your length of permit to stay is also dependant on how long you have left on your EHIC card which is what they go by.
As for private health care, a friend of mine here only pays about 20 levs per month for his. I'm not sure of the details but will enquire and put a new post up.
Gerald

Just to clarify a few points regarding the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).  You can find a full explanation by following this link.

To summarise it and to expand a bit more.  This document/card replaced the old E111 in 2006.  It is a document issued by your EEA country of residence and gives you the right to access state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland.  It does not necessarily give you the same healthcare coverage you received in your home EU country, it guarantees you the same cover as provided to every other citizen of the country you are visiting temporarily - which may be better or worse.

The EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It will not cover any private medical healthcare, such as mountain rescue in ski resorts, being flown back to the UK, or lost or stolen property. It is also not valid on cruises.  My experience is that many countries require you to either pay upfront or provide details of your insurance, it is then up to you to claim back your costs from your home country or travel insurance.

Why the Bulgarian government require any EU national to present an EHIC as part of any process is entirely up to them; it means nothing to any other country except for the purposes I've stated above.  If you are resident in another country, It will not provide you with any healthcare cover from your home country.  I can see what other functions it may provide; the previous residence in another EU country being one, so perhaps useful in establishing other EU rights, but Healthcare cover from the UK is definitely not one of them.

For people who are in receipt of a UK state pension; you can contact the UK Pension department and request an S1 form; this may provide you with basic healthcare for residency in an EEA country.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Gerald - that is so kind of you, thank you. I am sure there are health insurance packages available through Bulgarian companies but I am just not finding any of them on my English google search. I can only find mainstream companies such as Cigna. I am happy to go with a Bulgarian cover and would prefer it. Anything that skims a little off of £70 a month would be great! Thank you. You're so kind. Lorrie.

Hi,

From the UK Government website (take it for whatever you like):

Everyone who is eligible for health insurance in Bulgaria is registered with the Bulgarian NHIF. This is the only organisation in Bulgaria that deals with compulsory health insurance. Once you are registered with the relevant authorities, you are entitled to necessary medical treatment and you will have to pay the same patient contributions as a permanent resident of Bulgaria.

Registration is also necessary to obtain your Bulgarian National Health Insurance Card (Амбулаторна здравна карта). You will have to present the card every time you see a doctor or dentist.

For more information, contact the Bulgarian NHIF:

National Health Insurance Fund
1 Krichim Str.
Sofia 1407

Telephone: 00359 2 965 9116

Or visit the Ministry of Health website (information in Bulgarian only).

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

If you are planning to reside in Bulgaria on a long-term basis you must register with the National Health Insurance Fund and then choose a GP and a dentist. This will entitle you to the basic public healthcare package available for Bulgarian nationals. There are a number of private health insurance funds which offer various healthcare plans based on an annual fee. These plans can top up the services available under the basic public healthcare package depending on your individual circumstances and needs.

Thank you Cynic and thank you SimCityAT. Wow, you have given me so much and lots to consider, and to be honest, I don't know where to begin but I am sure it will all work out. Once I am settled in Bulgaria (I am not moving until November) then things become easier and more accessible. I could go to a mainstream provider for a years cover and change to the insurance with my local doctor after the year when I am more confident in Bulgaria and when I know whats what and where everything is.

I never meant to imply that I want to break the law but rather I perhaps clarifying what the law was. I thought that health insurance was necessary, and health insurance it is. But in all Truth, I wish that there was an option not to have health insurance on the understanding that any medical assistance received needs to be paid for - if you use it. For me and my life-style, I am never going to use medical assistance and so to me, it is a complete waste of money. Thank you again for all your help. It is really confusing but I will use your posts and basically go for the easiest option! Thank you again, guys. Very very helpful. Lorrie.

EnglishinBulgaria wrote:

Thank you Cynic and thank you SimCityAT. Wow, you have given me so much and lots to consider, and to be honest, I don't know where to begin but I am sure it will all work out. Once I am settled in Bulgaria (I am not moving until November) then things become easier and more accessible. I could go to a mainstream provider for a years cover and change to the insurance with my local doctor after the year when I am more confident in Bulgaria and when I know whats what and where everything is.

I never meant to imply that I want to break the law but rather I perhaps clarifying what the law was. I thought that health insurance was necessary, and health insurance it is. But in all Truth, I wish that there was an option not to have health insurance on the understanding that any medical assistance received needs to be paid for - if you use it. For me and my life-style, I am never going to use medical assistance and so to me, it is a complete waste of money. Thank you again for all your help. It is really confusing but I will use your posts and basically go for the easiest option! Thank you again, guys. Very very helpful. Lorrie.

No problem, it's why we're here; if you have any further specific questions, please come back to us. :)

All this sounds very complex. Wouldn't things be a lot easier without money?

As far as the "health insurance" that is required to get a residence permit in Bulgaria, it is very very basic health insurance that covers extreme accidents and repatriation of remains. For me it cost around 80bgn a year. I never found it on an English website, but go into a Uniqa office when you get here and ask for the insurance you need for your residence permit.

Of course, as I said, don't really expect to use this insurance for day-to-day things. Plus, as EU, you probably have access to the Bulgarian health care, which at 18 bgn a month is a good deal.

Thanks Kojidae. This seems to be exactly what I am hoping for! I don't actually want to use my health insurance but rather I just need to have health insurance so as to be legal. Perfect! I have a name - Uniqa. I will look into it. Thank you thank you thank you.

Great information for our future application.

Thank you for all your contributions.

BusterRoody

Without money? If you mean Communism, then no, it wouldn't. Been there, one that :)

Rapbom wrote:

To our old UK address, we have a forwarding service from Royal Mail to our Bulgaria PO box.
Hope this helps.

OT, but where and how did you get a PO Box as we were trying to find information about this yesterday. Our house doesn't currently have a street name. Only been 4 years since it was built!

Thanks!

P.s. Thanks also to the OP very helpful. :-)

Just for information, I moved to Bulgaria in May 2018 and to date have all my Bulgarian documentation needed to date, the only thing I have missing so far is my Bulgarian driving license.  I have been informed by KAT that I have to live here for 185 days before they will issue a Bulgarian driving license.  My car is now registered in Bulgaria and is insured here.

On the EHIC situation, I am fortunate that I am a pensioner and as such obtained my S1 from the UK and submitted it to NHIF and was issued a certificate within 1 week for free health treatment.

Regarding ID and other documents, I am also fortunate that I am married to a Bulgarian national and I think this helped with the speed of my Bulgarian registration and other things.

If you have the  photo driving licence  you don't need a Bulgarian licence to drive here .