Where to live in Belize?

My fiance and I are wanting to move to Belize. We have done quite a bit of research. I wanted to get some opinions though. We want clear that clear blue water, nice beaches, we are going to be living on a budget so about $1800/month. We like to meet new people. I wouldn't mind living a little bit inland as long as the beautiful beaches are not more than 15 minutes away.

If there are the two of you I think you are likely to struggle on that budget living close to the beach. You have to remember of that budget for each of the first 6 months you will need $100bze for immigration fees for you both and after that it becomes $200BZE. If you look at past posts you may get a better idea of the different areas, some areas are less expensive than others.
Further down in the south of the country, in the Toledo district, there are some very  nice beaches and some less expensive rentals but it also a lot less touristy so less resident expats than in other areas, also it is wetter the further south you go.

I would agree with terrific.  If you are coming as QRP's, then the immigration fees don't apply, but there is a minimum of $2,000 (US) you have to deposit into a Belize bank monthly,  in order to qualify.
In order to get the water you want, you will need to be on one of the cayes, which means water transportation (or possibly air) to and from the mainland. The trip would be about 60-90 minutes by water taxi. If you have your own boat and a Belize captain's license, it would make it easier to travel.
The beaches in Hopkins and Placencia will probably not be exactly what you are looking for, but you would have to make that decision on your own.
We bought on the mainland because we can easily travel to the cayes.

That makes perfect sense. I'm figuring that out. I live on ssd that is deposited in my acct every month, but it is shy of $2000. I hadn't heard about that requirement.

The input of the $2K us per month is only if you apply for QRP, and you qualify on the other aspects, it is the same $2000US for a married couple.
The alternative is to apply for permanent  residency then you need to go to Immigration each month to extend your 30 day tourist visa. For the fist 6 visits it is $50 bze per person per 30 days afte that it is $100 bze per month. after residing in Belize for 12 months with no more than a total14 days out of the country in that period you can apply for residency. until the residency is approved you continue to do the visa extentions every month. My son recently recieved his legal residency but that was 2 and a half years after he put in the application at the end of his first year. After the first year and the application for residency is in there is more wiggle room in the time spent out of the country, but he still maintained the monthly immigration stamps for that time. As a permanent resident you can be employed within Belize and have some (not all) voting rights. On the QRP, it is run through the tourist board,  you cannot be employed and have no voting rights.

Oh I see. That makes sense. I've read some about the QRP. What are the benefits of going that route, do you know?

Go here to get info about the QRP program http://www.belizetourismboard.org/progr … t-program/
You can import personal belongings without tariff if you do QRP. You would not be able to work at all.
It depends on what your ultimate goal is, as to which way to approach it. If you can stay in-country for a year without leaving for more than a few days, permanent resident is probably your best option. If you can put $2,000 into a Belize bank monthly, you might want to consider that route.
Read previous threads here for more opinions.

I used to live in Belize but now in Merida.
On that income you would do fine along the Costa Maya in Mexico, anywhere from Tulum to Xcalak.
The beaches are better than any in Belize and the cost of living 30% less overall. You dont need a lot of Spanish to get by.

@Jcronin that might be a good option for you, given what you are looking for. Then you could always visit Belize as well.

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.

Hi there. There is a post online for a 1 bedroom casita for 100 Belize dollars a month plus 36 hours of yard work. Have you seen it? What are your thoughts?

I have not seen the ad what  site is it posted on?
As it is advertising  subsidized accommodation for employment  then it can ONLY be taken by a Belize citizen or legal resident.
At the local rate for unskilled labour that comes  in at between $150 and $200 bze for the labor plus The rental of $100 so about $300 per month for a one bedroom casita should not imagine many takers.

Its on this site under housing.

Just looked at it, well as the going rate for a resident watchman on the Belize economy is about $800 per month including accommodation it seems an odd advert.
Also putting the Ad on an expat site when it would be illegal for any expat  wanting to take the job. (which is what it is)  How much interest in staying in an unfurnished casita   paying rent  for it and working one day a week  as well.   The poster of the ad is not likely to be bowled over in the rush.

Thanks terrific. I appreciate the feedback.

You might check out Corozal District. Corozal town is on the bay, no beach but there's a sea wall and cheaper rent. Consejo has rental property and is primarily all expats, sarteneja has great beaches and is a larger village, progreso is on a lagoon, Copper Bank is another small village. I think the inn in Copper Bank is looking for someone to rent and run it.