Mauritian etiquette

Hi all

What is good etiquette when addressing a stranger in Mauritius.  I don't wish to assume they speak either English or French and am happy to greet in either language, although I do realise that Mauritian Creole is the local language (which I don't speak).  So which is the best appropriate default language to use when addressing people you don't know?

Thanks

Hi Vivvz,

I am a Mauritian Creole educator and normally I teach Expats.

From my experience, French works well here.

But if you would like to greet, you can say : Bonzour Ki manier?

And Mersi Bokou to thank anyone.

You can also find the « Korek » book from paul Choy which is a very good book to teach Mauritian Creole through English even though it does not replaces Language Sessions.

I hope I have helped and that you will find your ways here.

Good Luck

Pascal

There's no difference between greeting in English or French. Both of them work well... what makes a perfect hit is the smile on your face !

Creole being the linga-franca of Mauritius, learning a few essential words  and phrases in Creole, will be greatly appreciated by most people when you are greeting them or asking for help.

French is widely used as well whereas English can be a little awkward when used to randomly address the common people in Mauritius.

Hi Pascal

Many thanks for your reply and direction too! 

Regards Viv

Thanks Nadeem!  Of course a smile can cross all language barriers!
Regards Viv

Thanks for your input, Winston.  Will bear this in mind

Regards Viv

LOL Mauritians are enough curious to know about you where you are from and find ways to talk your talk, LOLLLLL