Dealing with loneliness in Spain

Hello,

Expatriation can be a fun and exciting adventure, but it can also be a bit lonely at times. Please share with us some tips for dealing with loneliness.

What are some potential factors that lead to loneliness when moving to Spain?

How do you deal with feelings of loneliness?

Is it easy to expand or create a social network in Spain?

Are there any activities or events that encourage social meet ups and networking opportunities?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

I'm sure there are lonely people in Spain but I'm equally sure that there are lonely people everywhere.

The only extra reason that I can think of that may add to someone feeling isolated is that they lack language to speak to someone otherwise the answers aren't country specific.

Unfortunately there is no simple answer. The Spanish are very family oriented and don't really admit strangers into their circle and certainly not into their home until you have known them for a year or more. They are genuinely afraid of people stealing from them. Well, it is a country seemingly plagued by thieves so maybe they have a point.
Joining a language class, many of them free, could help as you can meet several people from many countries in the same situation. Going to English bars is not a good solution but may help in the short term. Check out what courses are available. There are usually art classes sometimes photo classes, yoga, pilates, tai chi, etc., that foreigners and Spanish attend.
Go on-line to see if there are any groups or interesting people in your area but some areas are very much better served in that respect than others. Go to the cinema, library, theatre and don't be shy to talk - even in very poor Spanish. The Spanish are very good at understanding British people trying to speak their language and, in our experience, it is easier for a woman than a man. Spanish society is very women's lib based and in my province you will see gangs of young and older women, mobile phone clutch, while the men are hardly ever seen.
Spain is a tough nut to crack socially but if you have the will to do it and just keep at it things will change but it takes time. What is important to remember is that to build bridges somebody has to lay the first brick. Make that person you.

Writerman wrote:

. They are genuinely afraid of people stealing from them. Well, it is a country seemingly plagued by thieves so maybe they have a point.

Sorry but I cannot allow that very odd comment to go unchallenged

I have lived in spain 30 years,  where I have worked with the police for 20 years.  I have many spanish acquaintances.   I have no idea why anyone would come to that conclusion

Compared with U.K. there is an incredibly low crime level (I say that having retired from London Metropolitan Police   having served 30 years as a detective) and almost no violent crime, certainly with regard to non Spaniards and that is as victims or perpetrators

PS. Just notice mr writerman enjoys comic writing

Writerman wrote:

They are genuinely afraid of people stealing from them. Well, it is a country seemingly plagued by thieves so maybe they have a point.

I do not think either of these assertions are true

You need to have friends whom you can chat and meet after you work.
I also feel lonely after working hours. But then i cook my food, clean the room, have a walk and keep reading.
You can chat with me or meet me.

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Priscilla,

I am curious what ideas you have to help me with my lonliness? I can be reached at

Johncar, I am not giving you my opinion, I am letting you know what the euro stats reveal. These are hard figures and not an opinion based on my personal experience although in my personal experience we have been robbed twice. My wife's handbag was snatched but I recovered it from the thief and my car was broken into. Spain is listed as the worst country out of 28 for robbery and 19th out of 28 for burglary.
All, and I do mean all, of our Spanish friends have warned us never to let people into our home because, we were told, they would steal from us. Again, not my opinion but the experience of all our Spanish friends.
I do agree that Spain is low in the tables, internationally, for violent crime at number 95 out of 208 countries. It is better than France, Germany and the UK but worse than the Czech Republic, the Netherlands and Belgium. But that's not what I was talking about.

Culebronchris, you don't think that based on what research or evidence? An opinion? Opinions are not valid measuring tools.

Writerman. 

I appreciate 30 years in the CID in U.K.  30 years living in spain, 20 of which working with the police assisting with the reporting of crimes,  may not mean I know what I am talking about

PS    However, from my U.K. policing knowledge I do know stats are massaged by the police, the home office, etc. and thus often are more fictional than factual, therefore more useful as material for writers than seekers of the true situation.

And, dare I say, that is a fact ?

I'm failing to see what crime rate has to do with dealing with loneliness?

Sim   It followed on from writermans post which included a comment about crime in spain. 

QUOTE.  The Spanish are very family oriented and don't really admit strangers into their circle ..........:::. They are genuinely afraid of people stealing from them

So it may not  be 100% off thread !

Homesickness is an inevitable part of moving abroad, no matter where you're headed!

Travelling in my early 20s, I was so in love with the movement that I rarely felt homesickness - I knew home would always be there when I got back!

When I officially moved to Spain in 2011, the experience was very different than travelling (finding a flat, paying bills, going to work, etc!) and I definitely felt LONELY.

That being said, I've now been here for 7 years, so I definitely had to learn to overcome a lot of the lonliness. Of course I still miss my family, friends and the gorgeous golden California coast, but I've absolutely learned how to balance the love of my birth home and my adopted home, here in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (Canary Islands, Spain).

Read on for more!getupgetoutgetlost.com/2017/11/02/11-ways-to-avoid-homesickness-abroad/

Saludos  :cheers: ,
Erica

I also wonder if the reason may partly be that the ex pats who come to Spain are folk with itchy feet- a bit of wander lust. I am sure that there are Spaniards who are the same, but they are off exploring other countries! Those who remain may be the ones who have a family and circle of friends in their own community and are perfectly happy that way. The Spanish people I have encountered have been friendly and helpful (except for those in local government but this seems to be the same the world over! Apologies to any nice local government workers out there!) especially, as others have noted, if you make an effort to speak the language. I suspect, though, that they don't really feel the need to enlarge their friendship group. Hence ex pats, broadly speaking, seem to stick together, at least until they have been in the country for quite a while.
Writerman's suggestions are good. We have certainly met people through things like language classes, walking groups and political groups. The internet is a mixed blessing, but good for finding out about things like that!

Wow! Writerman wrote a very thoughtful post with a lot of good suggestions. Thank you Writerman for all the good ideas! Yes, maybe his point about "thieves" is debatable. But it was only one thought in a treasure trove of solidly good thoughts. Let's celebrate all his solidly good thoughts then banging on him for his one debatable thought.

The first night I ever spent in Spain, I witnessed a woman in our group have a thief rip off her purse in front of us all! That was in big city Barcelona. Since then, I have walked FOUR different caminos, criss-crossing Spain. I never witnessed another theft! Yet, last week, someone smashed my car window and stole a bunch of valuables, right here in the good ole USA. So who knows....

the solution to expats loneliness could be a combination of professional companion care services & organized community activities
including networking, webinars, organized tours & trips, exchanging information about leisure times, cheaply prepaid consumers & maintenance community services, the creation of community jobs, etc.
such solutions may suit for not only seniors, but also many other expats...