Looking to Retire to Malta

Greetings to everyone,

My name is Joseph and my beautiful bride's name is Margery.  We are currently living in San Antonio, TX, USA.  We are looking to retire to Malta in two years.  I know it seems a long way off, but we are planners and want to ensure we have everything in order.  I am a retired US Marine and currently working for a Fortune 10 company as a Manager for Instructional Design and Technology.  I hold a Masters Degree.  My bride also has a Masters degree, a nursing degree, and a degree as a certified school teacher.  Boy, did I marry up!!  Even though we will be "retiring" to Malta we would still like to work and be active within our community.  Any advice as to getting a job, where to live (we would like to purchase a home, if possible, but are willing to rent), and the basic expat info needed to furnish a home and all the other stuff to make for an easier transition would be very much appreciated.  We are truly looking forward to moving and meeting new friends and experience a new quieter life style.  Thank you all in advance for your advice and guidance.  Hope to hear and maybe meet some of you in the future.  Take care!

Welcome to the Forum, if you have not already I would suggest you read previous posts covering the subject of moving here.  Have you visited Malta before?   If not it would be a good idea to holiday here first, good luck.

Thetrudells wrote:

Greetings to everyone,

My name is Joseph and my beautiful bride's name is Margery.  We are currently living in San Antonio, TX, USA.  We are looking to retire to Malta in two years.  I know it seems a long way off, but we are planners and want to ensure we have everything in order.  I am a retired US Marine and currently working for a Fortune 10 company as a Manager for Instructional Design and Technology.  I hold a Masters Degree.  My bride also has a Masters degree, a nursing degree, and a degree as a certified school teacher.  Boy, did I marry up!!  Even though we will be "retiring" to Malta we would still like to work and be active within our community.  Any advice as to getting a job, where to live (we would like to purchase a home, if possible, but are willing to rent), and the basic expat info needed to furnish a home and all the other stuff to make for an easier transition would be very much appreciated.  We are truly looking forward to moving and meeting new friends and experience a new quieter life style.  Thank you all in advance for your advice and guidance.  Hope to hear and maybe meet some of you in the future.  Take care!

Have you been here before? If not, do not move here from such a distance without a lengthy visit!
Also have you checked on the likelihood of being granted residence here as you are a Third Country National?
It is not as difficult as being granted permission to live in the States, but better check first!

Good luck

Ray

Having a degree in nursing your wife can find a job very easy. There is a shortage of nurses in Malta. I suggest she try to find a job in a private clinic or hospital. Obtaining a working permit is easier for a nurse. Having said that you cannot come to Malta and live without a working visa or some kind of a retiring scheme if you are not an EU citizen.