Dealing with loneliness in Norway

Hello,

Expatriation can be a fun and exciting adventure, but it can also be a bit lonely at times. Please share with us some tips for dealing with loneliness.

What are some potential factors that lead to loneliness when moving to Norway?

How do you deal with feelings of loneliness?

Is it easy to expand or create a social network in Norway?

Are there any activities or events that encourage social meet ups and networking opportunities?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

The biggest factor that can lead to loneliness is the lack skill to speak norwegian language.  Without it, your friends will mostly be other foreigners and very little norwegians. 

In addition, you will be out of touch with whats going on in Norway because news in english are very limited and they don't report much details or much of other news.  All the interesting news are in norwegian and these are the information that you can use to discuss with other people. 

Its not easy to expand social networks among the norwegians.  The native norwegians at work will only treat you as a colleague.  They will never invite you home for a meal or party. You will be lucky if they invite you to their wedding.  Norwegians have close knit friends that they grew up from childhood.  It is not easy for them to accept a new person (not from childhood) into that personal part of their life.  Not even towards their own norwegians from work.  I have invited at least three native norwegians to my home for housewarming and bbq.  They came, brought wine and enjoyed the food.  BUT after so many years, not once they have invited me to their home for a  meal or get together. I do hear them talking about such in their homes but it is strictly for their own personal friends and families.

I agree that it's so hard to connect personally to Norwegians because they tend not to trust you especially you are from other country such as Asia. That's why as Filipino here, me and my family see to it that we talk at each other as much as possible. Making friends in Norwegian is really an effort, so make sure to have a Filipina friend as near as possible so you can share a lot of things here in abroad.

for me , im almost agree with u , i have give up to make real norwegian friend in norway, the norwegians dont mind if you visit them but its really rare that they invit you , they will not tell you directly what they think and really dont like to argue or talk about life or politic "really hard for the french guy i am