Dealing with loneliness in Morocco

Hello,

Expatriation can be a fun and exciting adventure, but it can also be a bit lonely at times. Please share with us some tips for dealing with loneliness.

What are some potential factors that lead to loneliness when moving to Morocco?

How do you deal with feelings of loneliness?

Is it easy to expand or create a social network in Morocco?

Are there any activities or events that encourage social meet ups and networking opportunities?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Make friends; it's easy in Morocco.

With the expansion of networks and what sup it is never lonely in any place on this planet .

Remember the days when we just used to hear a hello from our dear ones and the connection gets cut off after standing in queue for 3 - 4 hours to get such connection from a public booth;

With video chats you are seeing your family members more often than you used to see when you were at home

Once we  start taking an interest in local music,  local culture and local places it is never lonely ; I went  to Rabat in train within 3 weeks. Will go to various places during week ends

Books Internet and TV will make you feel at home where ever you are ; Am watching MBC channels 2 max and action to see old Hollywood movies and MBC 3 or Rotana classic to see Arab classics I do not understand fully but still appreciate the acting photography and Egypt Arabia in 70s

Remember you do not feel lost as long as you do not care where you are

With best wishes

Kalyan

I agree! Get out and make friends.

If not above consult with psychiatrist  :dumbom:

There is a difference between "getting connected" (through technology) and avoiding loneliness. I don't think technology has made us closer - but the opposite might be true. Loneliness has become a problem exactly because people nowadays spend too much time communicating with their gadgets - and this might be weakening their ability to create and maintain meaningful relationships.

One of the reasons why I moved to Morocco is because at some point i felt that social relationships were quickly deteriorating in the after-Brexit UK. People there are not going out to pubs to meet other people - people different from themselves - they prefer to stay at home typing with those who they already have intelectual/emotional affinity. Intolerance raises from this avoidance. Social Media is definitely NOT SOCIAL. This pattern of behaviour has created a generation of self-centered misanthropes, unable to develop deep relationships. In the UK people feel ok to avoid each other for any reason, and common courtesy has been replaced by so called "political correctness" (in my case I believe there was some xenophobia involved, but not only - the "open society" has exposed each of us to the sight and the judgment of the majority - privacy is a luxury we no longer have in "the West"). Not that I blame Social Media entirely (politics also plays a role), but I believe this platform of communication has made people behave in a more selfish, egocentric and anti-social manner.  It has affected our brains! I recommend you to read the book "The Shallows", by Nicholas Carr.

So, my main advice: Quit Social Media, get out of your computer, and start talking to strangers.

My other suggestion is: appreciate your loneliness the best you can. It is ok to be with your own thoughts. Try to adventure in the wilderness. Book a trip in order to interact with strangers. If that doesn't work, go to a cafe and talk to the nearest person to you. If you are not comfortable about interacting with locals, I recommend you to find another country to live.

Morocco doesn't provide the same "hostile environment" that now is growing in Europe and elsewhere - and it is easy to get to know people here, and despite some cultural differences, locals are much more open to accept your particularities than most of the countries I've been to. hat's why I love Morocco - people here seem to be immune to the political paranoia that took over "the West". Try not to focus only on meeting expats - try the locals. There are so many good locals!  If that doesn't work - a good massage will probably satisfy your need for human contact (and put you in a better mood).

Regards,
Anoush.

Some of my best days in Morocco are spent in the Souks and street markets shopping and visiting with complete strangers. The vendors make a modest living but are polite and down to earth. And they love to chat and have a laugh. And I have friends and family. I have so many good memories I rarely feel lonely. When I spend time in the States it's the opposite and I am anxious to return "home" to Morocco!

Anoush
IS it cheap to go to bars and mix. As a tourist it is expensive.

England is cold socially. In Morocco people smile

RobgDoxon

Please expand.

Well,
I found it totally the opposite.
I have been going to too many private cocktails and dinners that I need to slow down a bit. The locals are very friendly, and the expat community is very vibrant. Further more, there is very little barrier between the expat community and the locals in Tangier....... (probably not the case in other cities).
I understand that we only live once, and must enjoy it. However, solitude is also at times desirable !

Amen

If ur in Marrakech, I am willing to become a friend. I am a local married lady with 2 teenage kids. Been abroad for 20 years where I lived in many different countries and got back to home country this year.
U can also join a site called internations which organise many activities for expats worlwide :)
Cheers.

Hi

I suppose sometimes loneliness is the result of not stepping out to discover. I arrived in Morocco April 2017 and the 1st thing my family and I did was to join a local church. That was so fulfilling as we connected to a lot of people from West Africa and surrounds. Also I enjoy the arts , music and theater space  , so there is no shortage of that , and you always end up meeting new people. I found the locals very friendly and can strike up a conversation anytime at the many cafes. 

I would like though to connect with the expat community

Cheers