Dealing with loneliness in Jordan

Hello,

Expatriation can be a fun and exciting adventure, but it can also be a bit lonely at times. Please share with us some tips for dealing with loneliness.

What are some potential factors that lead to loneliness when moving to Jordan?

How do you deal with feelings of loneliness?

Is it easy to expand or create a social network in Jordan?

Are there any activities or events that encourage social meet ups and networking opportunities?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

As a Jordanian and as an Expat myself, i would say i had this same problem whenever i come back to Jordan but you can easily find friends in anywhere you go the thing is you need to start the conversation to break the ice.. yesterday i was in starbucks abdoun i just went for a cup of coffee and decided to stay a little bit..

Went to a a table with 2 guys and 3 girls on it..asked them if i can join them by cracking a joke...

For you it would be much easier, especially because you're a female and you are not an arab, so people will be more open to you.

Make as many friends as you can and Adopt a Cat or Dog (i ended up adopted 3 Cats) and others stray came along :D

Creating or Expanding social network in Jordan is not really easy especially for  me,came from a Third world country sometimes Peoples here underestimating us,but i made some nice friends out of it tho.

And Some events in Jordan is not as Interesting as before,Expats Events in Jordan is Quite Expensive now,i mostly attending Meditation group or Hang out with my close friends,i would love to know other Expats Ladies too if they still around :)

Hello Kate,
Hope you are well!
Are you looking for work here in Jordan?

Regards,
Mohammed

This one for Example!! 🤪 without asking wether i have work or not ? Suddenly asking me if i have work or not ? Are u even have a Good Job asking me if inlook for work ? Oh wait...! He is not even EXPAT!

You're out of context ! The topic is not what u talk about,its about “DEALING LONELINESS IN JORDAN” and if i look for Job in Jordan i would post it in another page,but NO! I Have steady Job here in Jordan and i'm not looking for another work,Thank You!

I apologize for the question.

Hi there Kate
The trick with dealing with loneliness in Jordan is to remember that you more than likely have a nice family and friends in the country you came from and to remember that you are only here for a limited time. Adopting a dog and or cat/s is an excellent way of reducing loneliness and - believe me - there is a a real need here.
Have you heard of the Human Center for Animal Welfare in the King of Bahrain Forest, quite close to Ikea? There are amazing people working there, and they do a huge amount of work to help all sorts of animals, especially cats and dogs, but also camels, donkeys, horses,goats etc., and they work closely with the local and further afield Beduoin communities, who are often quite poor and get veterinary treatment for their animals free if they cannot affort it.

Look up their website, well worth a read. Kate, where are you from? I would love to hear from you anytime.
Jennie

Hi there Kate
Where do you meditate? That is very interesting as my husband and I also meditate and I am also a Hatha Yoga teacher, although not teaching here in Amman.
Jennie
PS The Jordanians and Palestinians are very friendly people once you get to know them, just hard to do so initially, because of tradition etc. Nothing wrong with that, as in England, people can be a little shy at first, and then, when you make an effort, are really kind and friendly also

Mohamed,  I guess you were just being kind in your suggestion.

Hello,

Expatriation can be a fun and exciting adventure, but it can also be a bit lonely at times. Please share with us some tips for dealing with loneliness.

What are some potential factors that lead to loneliness when moving to Jordan?

How do you deal with feelings of loneliness?

Is it easy to expand or create a social network in Jordan?

Are there any activities or events that encourage social meet ups and networking opportunities?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

- @Priscilla
Hi and thanks for the interesting post.

Personally, I have been fighting loneliness for years. I have not been able to make TRUE friends here in Amman, I regret to say. What makes things more difficult, I believe, is the fact that there are no outlets here. I used to go to coffee shops, but I stopped. The reason: with all my respect to everyone, please allow me to say this: males in this part of the world do not want to talk to a girl to make friends. They want to have "some fun."
I go out for walks when the weather permits, but that's about all. Moreover, even whilst walking I'm alone.

@duhaz77beatle hi , mmm not that much men are not the same in dealing with women but sometimes we've been through an experience not very good and unfortunately another bad experience then we start think like it's bad or most of people are the same but in fact it's all about how deal and how we see this life in each single day , many thing to do and to explore in Jordan a lot of activities and even there's an apps like ( meet up ) in LA where you meet new people for different activities depends on what you like ,
I wish you a wonderful day 😀
@duhaz77beatle hi , mmm not that much men are not the same in dealing with women but sometimes we've been through an experience not very good and unfortunately another bad experience then we start think like it's bad or most of people are the same but in fact it's all about how deal and how we see this life in each single day , many thing to do and to explore in Jordan a lot of activities and even there's an apps like ( meet up ) in LA where you meet new people for different activities depends on what you like ,
I wish you a wonderful day 😀
- @moehaddad

Hi, I didn't say that all Arab men are the same. However, a large majority only want one thing from a female I am sorry to say.

I believe that there is not much to do in Amman. The very rich can travel ABROAD: to the USA and Europe, but these are maybe less than 10% of the Jordanian population. Personally, I cannot do that. I am trying to find friends. As simple as that.

Take care
@duhaz77beatle hello ,
Mmm I'm sorry to hear that I understand your experience, but still it's cool and sure you'll one day do more than all these things ,
Excuse me if you don't mind me asking where are you from ?

Hi there Kate
The trick with dealing with loneliness in Jordan is to remember that you more than likely have a nice family and friends in the country you came from and to remember that you are only here for a limited time. Adopting a dog and or cat/s is an excellent way of reducing loneliness and - believe me - there is a a real need here.
Have you heard of the Human Center for Animal Welfare in the King of Bahrain Forest, quite close to Ikea? There are amazing people working there, and they do a huge amount of work to help all sorts of animals, especially cats and dogs, but also camels, donkeys, horses,goats etc., and they work closely with the local and further afield Beduoin communities, who are often quite poor and get veterinary treatment for their animals free if they cannot affort it.

Look up their website, well worth a read. Kate, where are you from? I would love to hear from you anytime.
Jennie

- @Jennie Alkawari

Hi Jennie and thanks for sharing this post.

I am one of the many people in Amman (and maybe in Jordan)  suffering from loneliness. Several people advised me to get a pet. "I'll give it a try" I thought, and I did get one. I love my pet, however pets/animals do not compensate for human beings. (I'm saying this with all my respect to you and your opinion). One needs to talk to somebody at times.