Dealing with loneliness in Ireland

Hello,

Expatriation can be a fun and exciting adventure, but it can also be a bit lonely at times. Please share with us some tips for dealing with loneliness.

What are some potential factors that lead to loneliness when moving to Ireland?

How do you deal with feelings of loneliness?

Is it easy to expand or create a social network in Ireland?

Are there any activities or events that encourage social meet ups and networking opportunities?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Hello Priscilla,

Thanks for this question.

You need to take a look at how more experienced travellers (Expats) worldwide
deal with these matters.
I will take the British and Australians living abroad as  typical examples -because they do these things very well.

1.The first thing they do is set up an  ''Expat Society'' in whichever country they are based.
Because Expats in general have disposable income this can mean they already have identified
a Pub, Business Premises or somewhere else also owned by a British or British-Thai (if in Thailand)
couple to meet up.
2.Because they have very well-organised Embassies/High Commissions both are usually able to count on the support of a member of Staff to assist with matters such as bilateral trade,cultrual events or other functions which will help promote trade, business, education or science or cultural events between both countries.  These countries understand the value of making use of their Expats to promote their country's interests abroad.
(Some countries embassies in the world are 100% useless with such matters because they don't understand the value of Expats!)

Even if you have no members, produce a Community Newsletter to ''link'' expats living in a particular community.

2.Think of a range of events or services which the Society might be able to provide - initially for other Society members.

3.Organise social events or monthly regular events with Guest speakers (academics) who can talk about the history, culture, or other things to do with the country the Expat is living in.
(Most academics/prominent individuals will be only too happy to speak for a free lunch and a beer or two - or, in Ireland, for a Guinness or Smithwicks!)

4.Have a ''drinks'' or Sunday lunch ''Meetup'' at a well-known venue.
(Some popular places will be happy to offer a group discount for regular bookings.
Indeed you might find a Expat owned or managed establishment which will offer
special facilities/discounts for Society members.

5.If your membership becomes significant and has many professionals, you will have no problem attracting occasional prominent speakers (certainly from embassies such as British, Australian, Canadian - who will see the advantage in networking with your Society.)

Remember your online newsletter can pay for itself with classified adverts and free adverts - adding to the networking ''capacity'' of your Society.

6.If you do not want to go down the above route, share your special skills and talents with like-minded individuals by placing an advert for a ''Meetup'' in a Community Online Newsletter.
Ireland is much better geared up with such online Newsletters than some other countries.

That venue could be a restaurant, a pub, or somewhere else.
An excellent place to put up an advert is in the shop or business frequented by other Expats - so that you start with a ''captive'' audience (!)

7.An excellent opportunity always comes when your country of origin is organising a cultural event to link both countries - and you are being networked into this event.
You must treat this opportunity like a major once-in-a lifetime challenge and be prepared (with others) to take full advantage of all social networking events to promote yourself or your society.
This is a great opportunity having so many people with an interest in your country in the same place.
if they are interested enough to attend a cultural exhibition most already have some interest in your country and culture - regardless of who they are.
Just one example.   Many years ago I attended a function/reception.
I met a gentleman from where I thought might be either Africa or the Caribbean.
He was, it turned out, originally from the Caribbean but had been living in another country for most of his life.
It turned out he was a prominent mathematician and a leading expert in a particular area of study.
(I would never have guessed had I not taken the opportunity to say a courteous ''hello'' and  start our chat about the weather and how nice the reception was.   I only found out later he was one of the few people in the world working on a very advanced area of science and was a visiting professor at several prominent universities.)   The point i am making here is that everyone has something he or she can contribute - if you use your networking skills and make good use of them.

If you are not interested in any of the above, just buy a crate of wine or lager - stay at home and get drunk (!)

Good luck!

Pat