Guarantor Requirements/Criterias

Hey everyone, I am Taulant From Kosovo. I was just recently admitted at Mannheim University in Germany and now I must deal with the visa procedures. If someone had the same experience previously from non-Eu countries, wanted to ask if it's better to open a blocked account and deposit the required amount or use a guarantor.

I also wanted to know from a German citizen/resident, what are the requirements or criterias that a guarantor must fulfill in order to provide/ensure a valid guarantee or legit financial cover.

Looking forward to your answers and advices.

Kind regards
Taulant

Selam / Merhaba Taulant,

It depends on the situation. If you can trust the German citizen then sure go forward with this person however remember you are relying on them for everything.. but in some cases this can be good for the German government especially if this citizen is in good standing with the German government. The citizen would just go to the Alien Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde) to cover your expenses.

With a blocked account you just deposit a security payment.

I believe the amount is 8.700 for one year? Then you show your Finanzierungsnachweis or proof of financial resources.

Hello!
Firstly, thanks for the valuable advice! The guarantor is a family member whom holds a german citizenship. He offered to be a guarantor and cover the expenses but I'm still having a bit of confusion and difinitely have no idea about the bureacracies regarding to this procedure!!

Thank you once again

Taulant

TaulantFer wrote:

Hello!
Firstly, thanks for the valuable advice! The guarantor is a family member whom holds a german citizenship. He offered to be a guarantor and cover the expenses but I'm still having a bit of confusion and difinitely have no idea about the bureacracies regarding to this procedure!!

Thank you once again

Taulant

Great its a family member, you can trust him/her. I would make sure they have good standing with the German government so you don't run into trouble in the future. Bureaucracies are that we have a lot of paperwork and procedures. This should be a little easier since the University will guide you and or have someone to assist. Please reach out to the Uni.

When i returned from the USA, i had a lot of paperwork to full out and i didn't know exactly where to go. So doing your research is very important, websites, university, see if there is a welcome center in Mannheim, etc. I would start making calls, emails to these people (government agencies, university, use google translate to translate into German to inquire now.)

I cannot give you exact details because my friends tell me that it depends on the country your from. However they all went to the Foreigners office and utilized their University for assistance. 

I did a search on this topic for you, and here is a site that has other topics in this subject...

https://www.study-in.de/en/plan-your-st … _27533.php

Very informative

You are so helpful. Thank you once again :)

TaulantFer: A guarantor must agree to not only cover all your daily expenses in Germany, but also legal and deportation costs if you do something wrong. This is a HUGE commitment that can easily cost tens of thousands of Euros.
I suggest the blocked account is a better way if you don't want to burden your relatives!

Yes, I was thinking the same. I don't want all that "weight" in someone's shoulders, no matter what kind of personality I am. I will scrutinize both opportunities for two more days but I'm leaning towards a blocked account!

Thanks a lot !

This site should help clarify any requirements to study in Germany:

https://www.daad.de/deutschland/nach-deutschland/en/

Thanks a lot sir!

What if my guarantor was not a member from my family ?
Thanks in advance

Nouamane Mountassir wrote:

Thanks in advance

Nobody other than a family member or very close friend would take on the responsibility for all your expenses, no matter what you do or what goes wrong, that a visa guarantorship includes.
Neither should you burden anyone with such a responsibility.
Therefore I recommend you move to Germany only when you can afford it yourself.

Nouamane Mountassir wrote:

Thanks in advance

The question of one taking financial responsibility is only applicable for one coming on a study visa instead of having the required amount put into a blocked account. But the student still needs to cover their living expenses. If one is going to guarantee one's expenses then they could much easier simply deposit the amount needed to the blocked account – even if it is considered a loan to be paid back. This limits their liability to that amount. To sign for responsibility is unlimited. A person could go out and buy millions of Euros of things on credit and the signee would have to pay.

Who in their right mind would do this? And officials know it is unrealistic that a non-relative or maybe long term family friend would actually consider it and fulfill their financial duty to cover any and all obligations. And of course they need to be residing in Germany. Debtors will not go looking to collect from someone in another country; not practical. Hard to think of a scenario where such a thing has any advantages than just putting the money on the blocked account. If one cannot manage this then they are simply not in the position to be studying abroad. I have loaned friends money but never would have signed a paper taking full financial responsibility for them!