Customs Duty on a Household shipment?

Is it true that Expats have to pay customs duty/tax when moving to Hanoi on a shipment of:
used furniture,
paintings,
artefacts

I would like to bring in my own things rather than buy new furniture, is it true there is customs duty ?No commercial value or use

I looked into this a few years ago. If you are transferred here by your company, I think you are allowed to import your personal items for free. If you have moved here to live and not transferred by a company, then yes, you are liable for customs duty.

Thankyou for taking the time to reply. we will be transferred by a company, maybe the shippers had it wrong, .... hopefully... It makes a substantial difference to the moving costs.

Five years ago, my niece shipped from Germany to Saigon 4 containers of her partner's household and personal belongings -- 7 rooms of furniture (some were family heirlooms, other custom-designed to his specs), 200K Euro worth of original and signed artworks, and 50 - 60 large Italian marble sculptures (he's a physician by profession and a sculptor by passion.)  She didn't pay any customs on that huge shipment, only because they prepared well ahead for all inquiries.

They had proofs that the furniture were part of an inheritance that can only passed down to the next generation and not to be sold: no commercial value.  They had proofs that every sculpture was done by him under the supervision of a master sculptor: no commercial value.  With the original artworks (some were as large as 5 meters in width), they had the artists signed in the back of each piece saying it was a personal gift to the two of them (instead of a purchase or commision): no commercial value.

I know not everyone can have that kind of preparation, I just want to share the one way to bring a fortune worth of things that matter to you to another country without paying duty fee.

This may help.

http://www.movers.com/international_mov … etnam.html

Note the restricted items. I wanted to bring in some electrical goods, powertools, stereo. I was told I could be liable for up to 100% tax, the tax is calculated when your items arrive, not before they leave.

If they want to charge you import tax, they can and will. It could be 40% to 100% depending on how low their tea/coffee reserves are.
Please keep in mind that as Colin mentioned, some items are prohibited or you may need a special import license for some items.
Hanoi is extremely hot and humid and whilst it is feasible to import things like wooden furniture, you will find if you take them back out of the country, they will crack and warp making them useless. Leather items tend to go mouldy unless used every day; ferrous metals will rust in days.........
So be mindful of what you wish to import.