Moving to Nairobi by end of May

I am Gautam Nagesh Shirali from Karnataka,India. I am planning to move to Nairobi by end of May 2011. I needed some help regarding what are the things i need to get/precautionary measures i need to take before i leave India. I am a Bachelor aged 28 and will be moving in alone for a period of approximately 2-3years. I will be working in a company located in Nairobi. I needed your help on the following:
1. As a bachelor- things i need to take from India/preparations before leaving
2. Major problems for which i have to set my mind to live in Nairobi.
3. option of salary credit- is it good that the salary is credited in India or Nairobi?
4. any idea of tax rate in Nairobi
5. brief about their culture and general local laws.
6. which is the best area to live in Nairobi?
7. Whta about the rent?
8. will we get south/north indian food? is it costly?
9. how is the cost of living?
10. Assuming that i am living a middle class life, how well do u think he can live in Kenya, keeping in mind the curreny value it has for Indian Rupees.
11.do we get domestic help for cheaper rates?
12. does the kenyan goverment accept indian driving license?
13. is it necessary to make international driving license?
14. what about health precautions?- yelllow fever,malaria,H1N1 vaccinations-are these necessary?
15.things to keep in mind about insurance, money,NRI account and cash to manage with expenses in Nairobi.
16. car rental/car cost/driver's salary
17.All in all everything which i need to know and work on before i leave India.
18. mobile phones-SIM card-GSM network? is everything same as India or is there any change?
19. Power-? do electric/electronic devices work in Nairobi. i want to know the compatiability/plug pins are of the same kind, as well as the volts?

Welcome on Expat.com Gautam :)

I have introduced your message in a new thread (in Nairobi forum) for more visibility! I hope that you will get some responses soon in regards to your above queries!

Best of luck with your move!

Regards

Thnak you very much Yud.

you are so ignorant. Nairobi is not a jungle. google is a key away

Hi,

I have also the same type of query.

I have got an offer from my company to relocate in Nairobi.They are offering me around 2000$/pm with accommodation,transport-residence and office (to and fro).

Can you please tell me what will be the average expense for 2 persons(like food,visit places in Nairobi,other expenses needed for daily life ).I need approximate calculation.Actually i want to know how much can i save after leading a decent life in Nairobi.

regards
Arif