Driving from Calais to Bulgaria

Driving in a car from Calais - Belgium - Germany - Austria - Hungary - Romania - Bulgaria...

Approximately -

Where will tolls be needed to be paid?

How much will the total £ price of road tolls be from Calais to Bulgaria?

Do road taxes / vignettes need to be paid in some of these countries?
If yes, in which countries, and where/how/when do you pay these?
How much will the total £ price of road taxes / vignettes be from Calais to Bulgaria?

Once in Bulgaria with British road tax MOT and car insurance, what does one need to do with regards switching to Bulgarian road tax MOT and car insurance?
How soon do these things need to be done?
How does one then cancel the British road tax and car insurance?

Thanks

Hi, the only things you have to pay for are the vignettes in Austria Hungary and Romania and of course in Bulgaria once you arrive. I buy my vignettes on the border of Germany/Austria, as you approach the open border you will see the sign and its painted on the road Vignettes, just get in lane and follow the sign. I buy both of them here for Hungary as well and the cost was 22euro.................that is for both of them. They give you one for Austria that you stick on your windscreen I put mine on the left hand side, the one for hungary is a printed out receipt, keep that safe in case you are asked for it...
I buy my Romanian one at the border of Hungary/Romania, once again look for the signs and the huts that you buy from are like porta cabins on the right hand side past the passport control. Keep your eyes out though as they are not easy signs to see, but if you miss them here you can buy one at the Rom Petrol station on the A1 motorway. They are called Rovinetta in Romania and cost about between 3 and 5 euros......I cant remember which sorry..........depending on which way you are coming into Bulgaria depends on if you need to pay a toll. If you are using the A1 Motorway into Romania from Bucharest down to Constanta there is a Toll booth and you have to stay in the right hand lane and pay 13 Lei/Ron but if you go over Ruse bridge you have to pay again but I dont know the cost for that one....

A bit more info on Austria -

240 euro fine that increases for not having a vignette - wow!

https://www.tripsavvy.com/vignette-aust … er-1507935

Recently the journey for the third time this month.

Austrian vignette is 9 euros buy at the border. Hungary is 3000 forint also about 9 euro, you can buy online before leaving. Hungary uses cameras on the motoways to enforce so do not forget. Romania is 30lei so around 6 euros. Also buy online before leaving, police will pull you over to check simply show them your email. If you cross at Vidin it is 5 euros toll for the bridge. Bulgarian vignette is 8 euros for a week.

Take the autobahn past Cologne and Nuremberg, it is currently not to bad.  I would advise starting early especially in Germany as the autobahns are often terrible for traffic. Autobahn hotels are cheap and good stopovers. Szeged is good for the final stop before Romania and from there Sofia can be done in the day. We found the trip much better starting very early. We tried to be on the road around 3 each morning made the drive much simpler as a huge chunk is done by the time the roads get busier. It took 3 days in a transit (and a sprinter and an audi!) however we have no problem driving for 8 hours a day, 12 if you get caught in traffic in Germany!

As for changing the car over to bg plates. There are companies that can help for about 200eur then you have to pay the cost which i believe will be around the same. You will almost certainly need a translator to complete the process if not. Technically it must be completed within three months of arrival... As for the DVLA simply send off the export section of the V5C.

Hope that helps!!

:-)