Application for UK visitor Visa from Italy

Hi guys,
I am applying for a UK visitor visa from Italy. I am an Indian national, so it's a bit tricky to navigate the whole process.
I have already translated my work contract, Pay slips and bank statements which I will submit.

I wanted to know that as I will submit my original passport; do I have to submit my original permesso as well or would a copy of it do?
Because without the passport and permesso, I basically have no valid ID with me for the time period.

Can anyone advise me on this?
That is if the submission of original Permesso is necessary or not?

Have you spoken with the Embassy? If so what have they said to you?

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Your valid passport must be provided for all UK visa applications.  With regards to your permesso, it states in the guidance document that you may want to provide documents that provide "Confirmation of legal residence, if you are not a national of the country in which you are applying or your right to reside there is not included in your passport."

I've just gone through the process on the UK Gov website and if I've understood it correctly, you're going to have to go to Rome as part of the process and your documents will be checked there, so I don't think you'll actually have to surrender your passport/permesso (so be without ID).

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Cynic wrote:

I've just gone through the process on the UK Gov website and if I've understood it correctly, you're going to have to go to Rome as part of the process and your documents will be checked there, so I don't think you'll actually have to surrender your passport/permesso (so be without ID).

If that the case, I am sure they will take a copy as you would not be able to travel without a passport?

I have experience in applying UK visitor (business) visa from Belgium. I hold Indian passport and residence card of Belgium.

For me they took my original national passport (they need to affix the visa sticker in it), a copy of the permesso (residence permit)  (they verify it with the original and give it back) in addition to copies of all other required documents and the application. I had to visit the TLS center here in Brussels (as there is no consulate here. TLS is the agency that handles the application process) where they took my application, verified the documents, collected fingerprint, photo, etc, prepared the application file and forwarded to the concerned department. I chose the option of getting back the passport via DHL (had to pay an extra service fee or so if my memory serves right). In 4-5 business days, I got the stamped passport delivered to my address.

You get an application receipt which indicates they have your passport.

If the processing get delayed, you can demand your national passport back (if you need it for travel or so in the meantime).

aneeshks wrote:

I have experience in applying UK visitor (business) visa from Belgium. I hold Indian passport and residence card of Belgium.

For me they took my original national passport (they need to affix the visa sticker in it), a copy of the permesso (residence permit)  (they verify it with the original and give it back) in addition to copies of all other required documents.

If the processing get delayed, you can demand your national passport back (if you need it for travel or so in the meantime).

Valuable information there, that will be a great help to others in the same position. :)

aneeshks wrote:

For me they took my original national passport (they need to affix the visa sticker in it), a copy of the permesso (residence permit)  (they verify it with the original and give it back) in addition to copies of all other required documents and the application. I had to visit the TLS center here in Brussels (as there is no consulate here. TLS is the agency that handles the application process) where they took my application, verified the documents, collected fingerprint, photo, etc, prepared the application file and forwarded to the concerned department. I chose the option of getting back the passport via DHL (had to pay an extra service fee or so if my memory serves right). In 4-5 business days, I got the stamped passport delivered to my address.

Thanks
This helps a lot.

I'll be taking copies of everything with me, alongside the originals.

Thanks a lot, guys!
I think I have most of my stuff sorted for the application!
*fingers crossed*
Hopefully, everything goes well and I get my visa soon!

I would check, you might be lucky and not have to go to Rome where the Embassy is, but go to the Consulate in Milan. If I am correct that's where you are according to your profile?

SimCityAT wrote:

I would check, you might be lucky and not have to go to Rome where the Embassy is, but go to the Consulate in Milan. If I am correct that's where you are according to your profile?

Yup, I did ask at the Consulate in Milan if they process Visa applications and I received a very stern NO, and that i will have to go directly to Rome

Looks like it is the TLScontact center in Rome that you will submit your application to, right ?

waves_14 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

Yup, I did ask at the Consulate in Milan if they process Visa applications and I received a very stern NO, and that i will have to go directly to Rome

Awwww that is a shame, as the consulate is on your doorstep.

UK Consulate is not directly dealing with the application in many countries. They outsourced it to TLSContact sometime back.

aneeshks wrote:

UK Consulate is not dealing with the application directly in many countries. They outsourced it to TLSContact sometime back.

I know the UK is a pain for stuff like this when we have to renew new our passports it has to be done online. In fact, everything has to be online for UK citizens. Even making an appointment has to be done online, we can't even phone up anymore and make one.

:)

One tip: If you are submitting your application in TLSContact center, they just collate all documents and make the file (just compares with a standard checklist). They cannot confirm your supporting documents are sufficient enough to make your case. That responsibility is on you. Make sure you have all supporting documents (even additional to what is mentioned in the checklist). :)

Yeah - the UK Gov guidance document does hint that the more relevant documentation you provide, the better chance you have of getting the visa you want, for the duration that you want it.

aneeshks wrote:

:)

One tip: If you are submitting your application in TLSContact center, they just collate all documents and make the file (just compares with a standard checklist). They cannot confirm your supporting documents are sufficient enough to make your case. That responsibility is on you. Make sure you have all supporting documents (even additional to what is mentioned in the checklist). :)

I am submitting
1. Passport
2. Residence permit (Copy mostly) but will carry the original
3. Work contract (Original and translated)
4. Payslips - 6 months (Original and translated)
5. Bank statement - 6 months
6. Letter of invitation (Stay is sponsored)
    Passport, residence permit, residence address proof, employment letter of my uncle in the UK - he     
    sent me scanned copies of everything
7. Flight details (Only booking them)
8. Itinerary for the duration of my stay

Any other documents you suggest?
Which documents did you submit?

Hi,

If possible can you help me finding an official translation service in Milan or better in Turin. I want to translate Italian documents to English for the visitor's visa (Tourist).

@aneesh Hello, I'm Erica and currently living in Italy while applying for a UK Standard visa. I have a question: Is it obligatory to translate all mandatory documents into English? These documents include my work contract, pay slips, bank statements, and annual salary form, all of which are currently in Italian. Thank you.