Visa Application?

Hi.... I am moving to Costa Rica in 6 weeks to work at an international school. I have submitted all of the necessary paperwork, and have an appointment to pick up my visas for myself and my family at the Costa Rican Consulate tomorrow. I do still need to fill out applications for each of us to bring with me. The application is in Spanish, of course. Should I be completing it in Spanish? I speak some Spanish, but am by no means fluent, and I want to make sure I'm doing this right.

I don't understand what visas  you are picking up or what 'applications'  you and your family still have to fill out? Perhaps for Temporary residency?

I suggest you ask all your concerns at the Costa Rican Consulate, but would expect you need to respond in Spanish.

Thank you... the application is actually in Spanish and in English. It's a Tourist Visa application, which they told me to complete in order to enter the country with 1-way tickets. My work visa will be processed once I get there.

If you are taking your Temporary Resident application with you, it will not help circumnavigate the requirement of a return ticket. This must be processed and then you will be given a  expediente (a file) which means your application is under consideration, and your  'comprobante' which allows to extend the 90 days requirement .

Legally, you cannot/shouldn't begin to work until you have a work visa, in hand....and this can take months.

LolaNayeli wrote:

Hi.... I am moving to Costa Rica in 6 weeks to work at an international school. I have submitted all of the necessary paperwork, and have an appointment to pick up my visas for myself and my family at the Costa Rican Consulate tomorrow. I do still need to fill out applications for each of us to bring with me. The application is in Spanish, of course. Should I be completing it in Spanish? I speak some Spanish, but am by no means fluent, and I want to make sure I'm doing this right.

Hola Lola,

I would agree with kohlerias on this.  Again, you should have your work visa in hand prior to working.  I would approach this position with caution and make sure you get what you have been promised.  There are unfortunately many individuals that will take advantage of people, not just in CR of course.  Just be wary of what you've been told.

- Expat Dave

Neither you or your family will be covered by the CAJA, the healthcare system while they in the country on a Tourist visa, unless they are covered with your work visa, however I can't find info on this. Nor does this allow them to stay over 90 days.

Once  Temporary Residency applications has been completed and they have received their  cedula...and this can take a year or more... they will be covered,. However, work visas can also take a long time too.

I have a neighbor here on a work visa and they are covered by CAJA.  Have been for two years.

Thanks. I knew the holder of the work visa was covered, but wasn't sure about family members.

I think there is some 'confusion' with the tourist visa and Temporary Residency  :unsure

There is a LOT of confusion about things that happen in CR but that's to be expected! Ex-pat Dave can get a lot of answers and he might be able to help you even more, try IMing him. I meet him, and he knows his stuff. He might be able to put you in touch with others too.
There are a lot of people that just love to put there 2 cents in on things they're not quit sure about. So talk to the people that can help.

Terrynviv know stuff too. IM them too.
Plus there neighbors maybe able to answer some questions as well seeing how they are there and doing just what you've asked about
Good luck and I hope things work out for you.
We will be making another trip down in a few weeks, this trip will be to Panama for a week. Getting our boots on the ground is the best advice anyone can do for themselves. We liked San Roman but need to see what Panama can offer before we decide on where we want to retire.
BTW, thanks again to Dave and Terry, you guys are the best people we got to sit down with and REALLY chat about the truth of CR.
Missed hearing from y'all
How are the birds doing? Was the move to the new place easy for all of you and the birds?
Your friends from Georgia

Miss chatting with samroma too
Tom says hi to both of y'all