English Bulgarian language barrier

English is certainly most useful so far, but those who think it's a license not to learn the local language are doing themselves a disservice.

I have been there before... when many Russians in the non-Russian parts of the USSR were too arrogant to learn the local language.

Give it a go Mutely, it is hard but it's supposed to be good for the brain to learn another language ! I've been trying for 10 years now and probably about same level as  a Bulgarian 3 year old ! 😕

Sogy, I couldn't agree more. It just takes us old F**ts a bit longer, sorry a lot longer  :)

Ian67 wrote:

Sogy, I couldn't agree more. It just takes us old F**ts a bit longer, sorry a lot longer  :)

Us old farts (well me not so old 43) yes it does take time. For me when they know you are English they rather take you as a teacher and want to improve their Englsih.

I kind of liked this discussion. A lot. And it was pleasure reading it. So here's some input, from my personal experience with languages.

My mother tongue is Bulgarian. So I actually "knew" it, when I went to school - at the the age of 7. And then I started learning it :) ... Seriously. And it was difficult ... very difficult. Actually one of the most difficult things I studied at school. Together with organic chemistry (which came later of course).

After two years, in third grade I started learning Russian - it sounds similar, it has our alphabet, quite a lot of the words are either similar or the same, so it looked easy at the beginning. And then came the cases (Padeji) and it got very difficult too.

Then in fifth grade (1986) I started learning a second foreign language - this time French. And it wasn't that difficult. Actually I enjoyed learning it more than learning Bulgarian or Russian.

Then in my eight grade I went to a Language High school, where I started learning English. And it was difficult too, though it had the same alphabet like French, but it was difficult to me. At least the first year. Probably I need to say, that for just one year I covered levels from Absolute Beginner to Proficiency. :) lots of fun ...

In my second year at the language school I had to start another foreign language - the obvious choice was French, but since there were not enough French teachers I had to study German. And believe me - it was very very difficult to cope with the different "genders" of the German words, it is really hard when a word in your language is in masculine to get used to the fact that it is in feminine in German. The cases added another hard point. Those are actually the hardest things when learning German.

Now I own a language school and a language travel agency. And believe me, I can fully understand both the Bulgarians, that learn English, French, German, Spanish or Italian here, and equally the foreigners, that learn Bulgarian here.

And after serious learning you really need an language travel vacation - either in Malta, Barcelona, Nice, Florence or even Berlin. As for the learners of Bulgarian I can recommend Nessebar, Pamporovo, Koprivshtitza, Triavna, Dobrinishte, and  ... Plovdiv. Just for vacation of course.

So it is not up to the years, it is actually up to the mindset. If you can cope with only English, and you're not inclined to put some extra efforts - just leave it like this and continue just with English. BUT do not blame your age ....

And yes, French and German will be taking over English in Europe ... at least for the next 10 years. Then ... who knows, probably Mandarin will be the next popular language to learn.

kristiann wrote:

My mother tongue is Bulgarian. So I actually "knew" it, when I went to school - at the the age of 7. And then I started learning it :) ...

I am so glad kristiann :D

You are right about the main difference between Bulgarian and Russian.

I lived in France for eight years and learnt the language quite well. Haven't used it for twenty years so it doesn't come back easily. But, when I'm trying to speak Bulgarian I find French words coming out and on the rare occasions that I speak to a French friend Bulgarian words get in the way. How you manage several languages beats me, My little brain doesn't seem to have enough compartments.

I have the same issue. I had basic Spanish from where I grew up as well as basic German from school. Not enough to hold a serious conversation, but enough to ask directions, order food etc. But now that I've learned Bulgarian, it pushes out all other languages. In any other country, I hear a foreign language and my mouth responds with Bulgarian. It's a trial. But I'm sure it gets easier with practice and with true proficiency in the languages.

The key is not to be too scared and smile (esp. not of the alphabet, which is much easier than learning to read in English). Then you can even speak your language. A workaround will be found.

Hi

I'm reading from your replies that you have had an adverse experience of learning another language?  Fear should never be a starting point for any new venture in life, language learning included.  There are no positives in not learning the language. 

Can I suggest low impact Bulgarian to acclimatise your ear to the language.  Listening to Bulgarian radio is an excellent way to do so.  Radio stations follow pretty much the same format across the world; news, weather, adverts, stories, music etc etc.  It is surprising how quickly your ear begins to "hear" the same words over and over again.  It only takes someone using the word in a simple sentence that makes the magic happen.  The meaning to that word becomes apparent.

I speak fluent Greek, passable German and terrible French.  But 2.5 years in Bulgaria and I now "hear" Bulgarian, that is I don't immediately try to translate, it happens,  Whether it is 5% or 90% of a conversation.  Now I am trying to get my mouth to catch up.  I am finally at a point where I'm not happy with my progress, I'm missing so much so I'm  looking for formal lessons. 

And on a final note my partner has not mastered the language and has about 25 words under his belt.  It hasn't stopped him from loving Bulgaria or indeed renovating a house and all that entails.  BUT he always has to have someone with him.  Life gets expensive if you don't have the ability to question prices, quality etc.   Google images on a phone are helpful but Google translate is simply awful for all but the most basic sentences.

I suppose what I'm getting it at is you get from life what you put into it.  I know my partner is going to have to learn sooner or later and that is fine - that's his language learning journey.  And he'll be kicking and screaming all they way.  Good luck with your journey, remember you are an individual no matter what country you reside in

I had to smile at your reply.  My neighbour speaks Greek which is fantastic.  But because of the physical location and connections I have to ask her to say a sentence in Greek before we can begin the conversation.  I can only think of Bulgarian until she has done so.  But when I'm talking to the kids I have no such issue.  The brain is a complex bit of kit

Oh google translate :)

My parents were out for my wedding and they were using google translate with my in-laws when my husband and I were busy. All the sudden my husband's aunt comes in the room to get me, blushing furiously, demanding me to explain what had happened on google translate.

Turns out my dad had asked what she was wearing to our wedding the next day (because we had said casual). She had written she would be wearing a skirt. Google had translated it as, "I am having sex." (The word for skirt in Bulgarian is close to the word for gender). My dad was terribly confused and uncomfortable, and my MIL and her sister teased him for the rest of the trip by saying, "NO, no sex," every time they saw him.

So yeah, crap translations, but it makes for fun stories.

Please check this website https://www.bulgaro.io/learn-bulgarian
It should be free and is neither too easy nor too difficult.
Also, use any other web resources as long as we have this miracle called internet

Ok they may not approve the link, google for: b u l g a r o dot iо

The best way to do it is to go among the locals, and ask them to speak bulgarian to you.  And, if you don't know a word, write it down in a pocket notebook.

It's a harsh way to do it, but it works.

Also, learn the culture.  You can't learn a language without understanding the culture.

@Emanuela Stomonyakova

Is that so..yet bulgaria teaches it in your schools..most young teens speak english..so dont speak stupidly.

On  saying that..its not an excuse to not speak bgn..or to learn...i find it difficult

I can speak i  a restaurant..can read a menu..can..say the basics..know the alphabet so can read many words..

But need to converse....yet..my wife is bulgarian..and is in fact cambridge educated..and also an english language teacher..( uchitel.) Just for good measure.🤣

Does she give Bulgarian lessons?

@wtruckyboy

hello does your teach Bulgarian, would be intrested in lessons please

After Brexit the plans are that English will not be tolerated as it is now.        -@Emanuela Stomonyakova

It's been many years since Brexit and English is still very much important in the world. You do know other countries speak English as their main language and its not just the UK, right?

In Austria English is still taught as a second language in Kindergartens and schools.

There are lots of Bulgarian tutors on iTalki and https://uchiteli.bg/, maybe less expensive on the BG site.

As a Bulgarian shop assistant said today, "2nd most common language in Bulgaria is broken English".

I had to chuckle at that one.

English teachers in Bulgaria are generally quite good, especially when it comes to language schools. The majority of schools even offer exam preparation for Cambridge certificates or IELTS. However, since I did not study in a language school, I had to take some extra lessons. Fortunately, I found a great teacher at https://учител.com/, and now I am a proud owner of a Cambridge Certificate C1.

On the other hand, in the countryside, there is a major issue with finding qualified teachers and students who are willing to learn the language. Another observation I have noticed is that children who are required to learn English as their first language in school often have poorer understanding and skills. This could be related to the challenges these children face at an early stage in their lives.

If someone has previously studied another language, they often find English much easier and smoother to learn. This was exactly my situation. After learning German first, I later realized how much easier English is and found myself more motivated. Another issue is the low percentage of teens who are actively using computers and technology. As a young gamer, I started learning English from video games at a very young age. However, I am one of the few kids in Bulgaria who actively spend a large amount of time in front of the screen.