Renting speaking little to no Spanish in DR

Hello everyone.
I have been visiting DR for the last 4 to 5 years and felt like this would be a nice place to retire or have a summer hangout. So, I decided to look into renting in the DR. I contacted a realtor for a apartment that had the right price for a 3 bedroom apartment. He spoke a little English which helped me. We went through all the paperwork and everything was good except I did not have a grantor. It was difficult because everyone I met here either had no job or could not be my grantor. Once I knew what the grantor was responsible for, I understood them backing out. I was able to get the apartment by putting more down. New apartment, no furniture, water, gas or electric. Being the first renter to this apartment, I had to go around and get all my utilities turned on. Oh, also I just started driving in the DR. My realtor just gave me the paperwork to get my utilities turned on and sent me on my mission. Speaking very little Spanish was difficult, but the Dominican people worked with me and we got it done. I always greet and explain to them that I speak very little  Spanish. In some cases, they will bring someone over who speak a little English. The apartment is nice and in a good area of Santiago. I will wait to see if I can do a 3 to 5 year lease before I add a lot of furniture. I am practicing my Spanish for me and in respect to the country. Never know, I might be able to do my computer business here.

Great update, thanks for sharing!!!

Hello Planner
Thank you for your advice letting me know I may have to do most of if not all of the foot work in getting my utilities turned on. It is allowing me to learn the city and my area. Also  meeting people at my apartment and around Santiago helping me with my mission. My realtor is very hands off even though he seems to want to help. How will I know if they are going to let me extend my lease or I have to look for another apartment? I will pay my rent ahead of schedule in case I have to find another apartment.

Your realtor "seems" to want to help? He is not helping, don't use him anymore. As the saying goes "the road to Hell is paved with good intentions."  Find one who does help & keep asking the people in your area for assistance.  You'll find some help. Good wishes to resolve your dilemma. There are expats living in Santiago who may reach out to you & offer to help.

Realtors attitude is to do as little as pozsible in most cases.

Your lease should automatically renew unless they give you notice. Che k the languaging in your lease  or, send to me and i will check for you honey.

Hello Everyone
Thanks for your input. After my second meeting with the realtor at the apartment where there was a water problem which did a little damage to the apartment. He said he would have it taken care of which was back in April. When I went to the apartment in May, nothing was done. So now I do not talk to him, I go straight to the realtor office. I do not want anyone to lose there job. I guess he feels he has done his part, he rented the apartment for the owner. I may have to request a meeting with the owner.

Report all  issues to the office,  document it honey!  This is just normal behaviour and if you dont stay on them nothing will get done. He is on to the next commission.

Okay. Thanks Planner and tinker40.

Siempre honey.

Great heads up as I'm heading there next week to look for housing  as well !  Can you recommed any areas that are  really nice and safe ! Thanks

Welcome to theaters forums. It's hard to recommend an area without knowing what you like or want. What I think is a great area might be horrible for you!

Tell us what you are looking for in life here.

The DR is much larger than most think. 10, (ten)  Puerto Rico's could fit in the DR. (area wise)  From snow topped mountain to semi desert. Wet lands to beach lined shores, from grass lands to rain forests & everything in between. Come & explore for yourself. Gently rolling hills to Karst cave ridden cliff sides.  Large cities of millions to tiny roadside hamlets.  Your choice, your life, your future.  Welcome to it all.

Snow topped?!?!?!?! Haha a I don't think so honey. That was funny!

greetings, im having the same issue. im coming in april to santiago, thinking of the jardines area. is it possible to direct mail me the realtor that you used?

Haja. I can believe after living my hole live in cuba without a/c tinker40 almost made me look on google for such a big mountain with snow. LOL.

MT Duarte, 10,000 plus high has had snow on top!!  Look it up you doubting Thomas's !!

Sorry tinker I thought you was joking. Look like I have to study a little more geography 🤔

OK when he says snow think heavy frost!!!!

No need to apologize,  only time to say I'm sorry is if you fart up wind.

:joking::joking::joking:

Thank you tinker.

Planner, is that like when I say that someone is fat, you say no, they are plus size?  Fat is fat & snow is snow. Doesn't have to be skiable to be snow.As usual, we are both correct in our perceptions. Ain't repartee fun?

Hey Isaacb,

Take everything that Planner & Tinker say to heart (except for this snow debate lol). And thanks for sharing your experience because it helps everyone believe it or not.

Only thing I'd add as advice is don't worry about anyone losing their job. Be respectful but firm in representing & protecting your interests. Trust me, they'll respect you for it.

I notice we're both from the same area (DMV) and many of the Dominicans in that area come from Santiago. They'll tell you like they told us, protect yourself 1st in any transaction.

We're here for 6 weeks for the exact purpose of living out day-to-day life here not as a tourist but as a local and start thr next chapter of our own real estate transaction here.

There's a no rules hussle culture built into business in DR that has it's pro's and con's. Street smarts gets you a long way here. If you have a hunch you should probably follow it.  Ask to speak to owner. Dominican culture is big on "being the boss". And just being real, in our experience being African-American from the US has its advantages here so you should use it. Don't worry if your Spanish isn't great.

My wife is part Dominican, born and raised in the US and is fluent in Dominican Spanish and has done alot of business translation.

PM us if you ever need help. Alot of times, just getting someone of the culture on the phone with them for a couple of minutes can help, if nothing else clear up any translation issues.

Rich

Tis true, pay attention to the posts.  About the snow,  that elevation can & does produce "Snow" It may never be above your muklucks, but it is a climatic process called snow. I don't understand the denial any more than I understand someone stating that there are no hotels in Cabrera, Ignorance, or perhaps a different axe to grind?  It doesn't matter, does it?  A fun thought of a snow capped mountain in the Caribbean is rather intriguing. ain't it?  Have fun, never be put off by the possibility of errors by others.

Good grief Tinker let it go!

Great post Velcro.

Sure thing Boss. My snow shoes are back in the shed for good.

Hello Everyone and thank you Rich for the information. The good thing is I do not mind toughing it out because it is a good way for me to learn the system. Hopefully we will run into each other here or in the DMV.

Hello everyone
Well, my experience renting in DR speaking little to no Spanish will end in September. I thought my lease (verbally) was for a year, but on the contract it was only six months. I thought this was for proof of paying without a grantor, but I think the owner wanted the money and to raise the rent after six months which he is asking for to continue the lease. I learned a lot and will make sure the next one is 3 to 5 years.

Hello Everyone
What if someone lease or home payments end unexpectedly and they have to get out of their home or apartment and they have a ton of furniture to move, where can they put in storage until they locate another home?  Also who will they get to move everything? This is not my case. I was at least smart about not buying furniture before I learn the system here.

There are few places to store here. Sounds to me like you got conned. The only rentals for 6 months are for tourism related units.  Legally they can only increase the rent 10% per year IF you accept it.

Sorry this happened. Happy to read any lease for you in the future!

I accept the fault. I believe the realtor knew also which explains why he was hands off on helping me get the utilities. I enjoyed my six months there. I do not waste my money. Its funny, the realtor had another apartment for me to rent. He really think I would rent from him again. It is not good business no matter where you live.

So very true! Bad business is bad business!