Rental Agencies

Hi,
Can anyone recommend a good rental agency to me. WeŽre looking to move over in the next few months :):):)

Frank Salt at franksalt.com.mt are a large and I think generally well-regarded outfit.

Frank Salt offered us dedication and professionality more than the others. The rentals they offer are though a bit over the average worker budjet, in my opinion.

Many Thanks IŽll look on the website this evening and see what we can find xxx

I used 7 estates. they are small but very hands on and seem to really care! and found a place for us very quickly! Remax is definite no no for me!

Yet Remax found us our current place and were very helpful and nice. I think it just goes to show it's probably down to the individual agent. Over 15 months we've looked at loads of properties with Agents from all the major Agencies and we've had good and bad experiences - often within the same company but at different locations.

yes that could be. i dealt with the same agent and wasn't happy with her at all. also used frank salt and recommend them as well!

We've had a look at what Remax had on there online site and saw some really nice properties although IŽm not sure if it could just be a case of good photography!!! We also found a site called Belair, anyone dealt with them? Looked at Frank Salt will be contacting them shortly to see what they have to offer :) WeŽre coming out for a visit next month to check out areas see where we think is best for us xx

Just so you know - it's common practice in Malta to put your property on with several agents, not just one.  So you may find the same properties coming up repeatedly with different agents.  Also, sometimes, your agent may try to interest you in a property, then find that another agent has already let it.

These issues can be managed, but you might like to be aware of them!

I have dealt with Remax, Frank Salt, Dhalia and Bel Air and would 100% recommend Bel Air.

Nothing but helpful and professional. We had a lot of problems with the other ones, but it is down to personal experience I think!

You should try Pierre Faure Real Estate. They are located at the Westin Dragonara Resort. Again, a small but professional team with very good listings

Thankyou, I shall look at there website this evening, see what they have :) x

frank salt dhalia are both good in my opinion - but beware that once you find a place the rent is usually a month in advance and a month as a security deposit then between 50-100% as an agents fee.

Thanks for the advice, Frank Salt is a name that keeps coming up so we are going to give them a call and see whats available. The deposit, fees etc sound the same as Spain. Admin fees are expensive x

my best advice with ALL agencies is to be very very specific as to what you want......as they will try to take you to properties that are no where near what you have asked for...once they tell you whats available to you make YOUR choice as to what to go and see and stick to it.....if they do offer others get the paperwork on them and review it before meeting again with the agent for viewings.

Should you wish you can contact me on [moderated: please register in the business directory]. No Agency fees!!

I met with many agents last year but the one I ended up using to find me just what I wanted was Robert at Perry's in Tower Road. Sliema.

But as pre-warned... apart from the 1st month rental and deposit, the agent is also paid jointly by the owner and the renter over here (normal agent fee being equal to one months rental / basic fee)

Thankyou Mike I will have a look see if I can find a website for them. So many places to rent in Malta its hard to know where to start :) x

I agree that Robert from Perry is excellent. Frank Salt are  fine.
I didn't like the tax advisors based in Valletta that they recommended though. Actually that was quite an issue for me.

Finding the right landlord is another matter though, so good luck!

We looked on Perry real estates and was really impressed with the selection they had so thanks guys will be giving Robert a call x

We used a guy called Keith from Benestates.  Fantastic.  Gave him our criteria and he came up trumps.  Instead of just trying to fob us off with what he had.

Also, be aware that many agents have properties on their website that 'oh, sorry, its just been rented'.

Will PM you.

Jules
x

Also does anyone know if you can really negotiate prices with the agents. There seems so many on the market makes me think they are struggling to shift places. Just asking as I have seen a perfect place for us but its just a bit out of our price range. We did the same in Spain and as we had a good track record as tenants we got a really good deal as the landlord just wanted someone in there x

It is always worth negotiating and putting forward a sensible and reasoned offer...

have a go - you have got absolutely nothing to lose - with in excess of 50000 empty properties on the island at any oine time. there does seem to be some bargains to be had....he who dares wins...eh

besides if you think its the ideal property you may wish to suggest a longer than normal long let. long lets are normally minimum six months.... this usually brings the rental down....but there are limits - as the Malti are not daft and are very shrewd. They are probably some of the best business men i have come across. In their own inimitable way of course.

but be wary of too long as what seems ideal initially may not be as you may find dodgy awkward and noisy neighbours after you have committed to a long term...and to move earlier would lose your deposit.

Hi lindseyb,
I hope that other members have helped you and that you will have a nice stay.

Regards,
Harmonie.

Frank salt can be a bit expensive and exclusive dhalia has more down to earth properties

Thanks everyone IŽm here now and settled in an apartment. We went with Remax in the end and they bent over backwards to help us so we've been lucky to have had any easy experience :)

Hi lindseyb,

I'm glad to hear that you are happy with Remax as our landlord is a Remax manager and he has gone over the normal to deal with certain issues that were not really his responsibility.

Otherwise I totally agree with what has been said. It is a free for all renters/buyers market. All agents offer the same properties so it all boils down to the service provided. Do they listen to you and offer what you are looking for or try to sell what they want!

So anyone dealing with Remax and who is not happy can contact me. I personally can't complain about the professional service.

Regards
Ricky

Hello,

I was looking at ReMax and Frank Salt.  What does it mean when you see something promising and it says "P.O.R."  I assume that means Price on Request.  I am looking for something kind of secluded, ocean view and access, scenic, away from cities (plan to have a car).

Does this exist anymore?  I've seen a lot of creative photography.

Is there a site or a thread somewhere that gives some guidance on making a reasonable offer?  If I want to pay resort prices, I am about a 4 hour flight from Hawaii, but Malta is more interesting.  But what is the reality of P.O.R.?

Duffy

PS - I've seen it both on nice places and not-so-nice places, so I don't think it means "don't bother asking because you can't afford it."  Am I mistaken?

[Moderated: please register in Malta Business Directory]

Hi Andras,

Welcome to the forum. It's always good to recommend yourself but I

hope that someone else can recommend you too-))

Is the property business that bad in Malta? We seem to be getting self-promotion every day now!

Feel free to enter your business in our business directory.

Just one question: Apart from the 3000€ villa or appartment at Tigne , do you have decent appartments for under 400 € in the Sliema,Swieqi,Gzira area? That is what many are looking for.

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Just one question: Apart from the 3000€ villa or appartment at Tigne , do you have decent appartments for under 400 € in the Sliema,Swieqi,Gzira area? That is what many are looking for.

I am sure they would prefer Cheaper LOL... good question though ricky..

Julian

stefcons wrote:

You should try Pierre Faure Real Estate. They are located at the Westin Dragonara Resort. Again, a small but professional team with very good listings

Yet another Business Advert...

This is people asking for other members views on estate agents not members asking for estate agents to promote themselves....

And how do i know this is a business advert... in your profile

"...I have worked in real estate locally for more then six years and love the satisfaction of helping others settle down on our lovely island..."

Please if you want to promote your business then put it in the business section....

Julian

To the person who PM'd me to tell me he had a room in his house available (already listed in the classified section):

I am capable of reading the advertisements for myself.  If I had been interested, I would have contacted you. 

Isn't the point of this thread to find out what other people think of agencies, not self promotion?

In any case, good luck in finding a tenant.  I don't feel comfortable staying in a strange man's spare bedroom.  When I said elsewhere that I was looking for a nice B&B vs a hotel, that is not what I had in mind.

Best Wishes,

Duffy

Finding a place to rent has been a nightmare for me. Honestly, as most of the agencies have 90% of the apartments to rent in Sliema or just around, and as most of them share the same listings, it's a matter of person only.
My advice is to knock at all the doors you will find on tower road and plan visits until you find the right place.
Be careful to dogs, churchs, penthouses, flooding zones, neighbors. Better to study the area before renting. And don't give a high price, they won't show you in yourlower budget.

Thanks for some of the advice posted in this thread and mentioning some agencies I had not heard of. When I was in Malta again earlier this month I stopped by a few places on Tower road, looks like all the agents I spoke with think it will be challenging to find an apartment willing to accept a medium size dog (I would also prefer unfurnished but that is another matter and I realize why they are scarce). Anyways, can't do much about it yet because I don't have a firm arrival date, but I hope it won't end up being as challenging as some of the agents have made it out to be!

Believe me...just because an owner says he wont accept a pet...doesnt mean he wont - often they are looking for a further bond or an agreement to make good any damage or mess, this i have found always works.

good luck

thanks, and yeah, I figured some landlords would be more flexible than the rental agents implied... I fully expect to pay an extra deposit as a result of having a dog, and that is also one of the reasons I wanted an unfurnished place (my bulldog is much more manageable than when he was under a year old -- he is just over 2 now, but I would still prefer not to have the extra hassle of having to police him with other people's sofas etc.)
cheers

Hi Kate,

welcome to the forum !

The 'unfurnished' might turn out to be more of a problem than the dog unless you are really willing to commit yourself long term to a place.

If your dog is well-behaved and doesn't bark if you live in a residential area it should be ok. Dogs barking and poop on the streets are the main problem with dogs. In most areas it is difficult to walk your dog in the 'open' as there is no open around !

Anyway , Merry Christmas to you and all the other forum members with or without pets.

Cheers
Ricky