Need helps on issues of living in Saigon, share here - 2018

If you have any questions about regulations, accommodation, Vietnamese's culture, what to do, where to go, how to deal with troubles here, etc,... you can share. I will do the best of my experience/knowledge to help :)

I have a question about whether you can still use an active Vietcombank account if your work visa is no longer active? Do they automatically deactivate it? And what about if you leave the country, can you still use that bank account? Just curious.

IMau wrote:

I have a question about whether you can still use an active Vietcombank account if your work visa is no longer active? Do they automatically deactivate it? And what about if you leave the country, can you still use that bank account? Just curious.

You can use your account until you stop it, if your account has the balance which bank required then your account will be actives, no matter you leave country or not.

Thanks for your response. Can you tell me if I would still be able to receive deposited funds in the account or not?

I got my VCB card feb 2010 (plus homebanking), i didnt used until last month (money transfer from my bank) , the card/the login is still good :-)
vietcom bank charges a small monthly fee which is 2200vnd/monthly

IMau wrote:

Thanks for your response. Can you tell me if I would still be able to receive deposited funds in the account or not?

Yes, you can receive deposited funds in the account. The deposit in my VCB account is 50,000VND.

van88 wrote:

I got my VCB card feb 2010 (plus homebanking), i didnt used until last month (money transfer from my bank) , the card/the login is still good :-)
vietcom bank charges a small monthly fee which is 2200vnd/monthly

The charges change in June: SMS service VND11,000, Internet Banking Service VND11,000. And VCB also charges some amount when you withdraw or transfer money ranking from VND3,300 to VND7,700.

Hi, thanks for your response but I'm wondering if the rules are different if you are a foreigner with a bank account that is restricted to receiving funds from one source, like your former place of employment. I worked at a language center and my visa expires in September of this year. So my question is: after my work visa expires would I be able to receive deposited funds from any other source to that bank account since I won't be working for that employer anymore. Can funds be deposited via international wire transfer from another source? The reason I want to know is because I will be working online and wanted to use that bank account but I am not sure if that will be possible? Any idea on how that would work in that scenario? Thanks!

hi Imau

"Contem talk"'s intel is correct about your 2 questions. The card is own by whom who has the pin (it is you) and I dont beleive the card is designed only for one employer (you call source). If you are doubt why not get a friend do a money transfer of 100k to your vcb account or goto VCB at district 1 (near Ben Thanh marked) to get confirm.

And if you are not satified with VCB's answer (the quality might not be good as you expected), why not just withdrawn all the money before leaving VN?

br Tuan
ps: yes i am a foreigner also.
ps2: VCB is not so strict as bank in europe, the card has unlimit lifetime
ps3: never try to do a transfer from VCb -> other bank due to I haven't a VN phone number yet (VCB uses "VCB OTB" app to login)

Hi, thanks for responding again. Unfortunately, I have already left Vietnam, so I wouldn't be able to walk into the branch and ask questions. That's what I'd ordinarily do if still there, so that's why this is so tricky for me. I have to do everything outside of the country. When I left, I assumed they would just close the account at some point, but once I discovered that the account was still open and that my new online employer only pays via international wire transfer, I decided to take a chance and ask here. But I will take your advice and just try to send a wire transfer outside of Vietnam and see if it works. Thanks again.

I need help with accommodate.
I will go to Hanoi in September.
;)

Check the housing section top of this page.

IMau wrote:

Hi, thanks for responding again. Unfortunately, I have already left Vietnam, so I wouldn't be able to walk into the branch and ask questions. That's what I'd ordinarily do if still there, so that's why this is so tricky for me. I have to do everything outside of the country. When I left, I assumed they would just close the account at some point, but once I discovered that the account was still open and that my new online employer only pays via international wire transfer, I decided to take a chance and ask here. But I will take your advice and just try to send a wire transfer outside of Vietnam and see if it works. Thanks again.

You should write a book called "Tax Evasion for Dummies"  :D

Rubek21 wrote:

I need help with accommodate.
I will go to Hanoi in September.
;)

hi Rubek21
i found out airbnb is not  cheap as many thought. Agoda has many good offer for reasonable hotels (+80% satified guests) 400m to the main beach (Tran Phu st) . around 10mill VND (500usd)  for 24m2 room 30days.

good hunt

br Tuan

sorry it was at Nha Trang, Hanoi downtown might be higher