Best season to move to Thailand

Hello,

Many expats choose to move to Thailand at a specific time of the year, and we invite you to share some tips about the best seasons to move to the country.

What is the best season/time of the year to move to Thailand, and why?

How do rent prices fluctuate based on the different seasons?

Is there a change in the job market depending on the seasons, such as job availability?

Are there any seasonal festivals or cultural events that would allow you to learn about the country?

What are the times of year to avoid for expatriation to Thailand?

During which season did you move? How did it go?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

The high season in Thailand is November to February inclusive - which is the winter season, though this is only really felt in the north, which can be pleasantly cool in the evenings and mornings with the days remaining warm / hot.  The high season can be longer and it used to be longer, but certainly in the north it is not as long as it used to be - probably due to the unfavourable exchange rate for Europeans.   It is the season when rents are higher so if it is economy you might try June to October - but bear in mind this is the rainy season and it will be hot and humid.  Avoid the north from March to early May due to the annual pollution from the burning of field over the region and beyond.  Work is not easy to find in Thailand. Good luck with that one !   Events = Songkran - the annual water festival - but it is during the very hot season and pollution season (if in the north), plus there are many road accidents during this time - Note:- Thailand is number one for road accidents.  Be careful crossing the roads - Crossings are simply two colours painted on a road !  Even light controlled ones to some !  Be aware or be in hospital !   Forget motorbikes / scooters - but if you want to take the risk (and it is a high risk !) then ensure you have a licence which is accepted in Thailand and without doubt accident and health insurance, which you would be wise to have anyway.  November is good for the annual lantern festival - Loy Krathong - personally I think the best time to go.

Simply advice for living there.  Respect the country, its people and its culture.  If you are going to live there for some time then at least learn the basics of the language.  There are many language schools and it can be fun.  Avoid conflict, and be prepared to back down if necessary - it is easier and safer.  Respect - remember that word and you cannot really go wrong.  Avoid the bar scene before 6pm unless you want to become an alcoholic.  It gets dark at 6 in the winter and 7 in the summer so how will you spend your evenings ?  In the bar 7 nights a week or doing something better ?!  Bear in mind that you might retire but your brain does not !  You need to have a plan of what you will do in Thailand beyond holiday activities.  Look at groups and activities you can become regularly involved in.  Consider charitable work - there are many causes - but bear in mind you need permission / or visa from the authorities to do this as it is still classed as work.   There are too many who hit the bars and get hooked.

Roads - mentioned again because of the high accident rate.  Even as a pedestrian you need to watch out because traffic can turn into and emerge from roads on either side and do many things you do not expect !  Scooter drivers can also use pavements if it gets them past traffic jams !  Be aware.

Weather : Carry a hat / cap and water always.
Dogs (especially strays)  : Be wary - they may have rabies - probably not but best be safe.  Inoculations : Visit your Doctor before you go - at least 4 months before you go.
Shop / massage workers : Goods and services are cheap for outsiders - some of the workers are paid peanuts - Consider tipping well where deserved.   

Health : Have insurance ! The care can be excellent but you need to choose your hospital.

Myth : Many Thai women are on the game - Truth - less than 2%
Truth : Some westerners think they can buy the affection of a Thai woman.
Myth : All Thai women want is money.  Truth: If you try to buy them with a new car / house etc etc from shortly after meeting them, you will likely get taken advantage of.  Sadly God gave men two brains but the ability to only use one at a time.  Truth : There are some very genuine and caring Thai women - and they are worth the search !

Do not expect everything to be in English or whatever your language is, or for everyone to be fluent in your language.

Food : Enjoy it !  Street food usually very good and safe

Crime : Low level - keep purses and wallets in zipped pockets etc - otherwise Thailand is generally very safe for visitors/ ex pats, but do not throw caution totally to the wind.

Tuk Tuks - Negotiate the price before you take the journey

Drunken / loud /arrogant / know it all ex pats - Avoid them and mix with the good ones !

I hope the above helps - I lived there for 4 years and only scratched the surface of knowledge about Thailand.  It can be a great place and the people are very largely wonderful.  Respect it and enjoy it.  Give it at least a year to decide if it is a place you want to be permanently.  Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Best season to move to Thailand can have different meanings.
If you want to avoid the worst heat and heavy rain, the best season is November to February.
But being also high season in Thailand you have to compete with all the tourists , and since many tourists are retired who rent a place for several months, the prices goes up .

So is it a good idea to move during tourist high season ? I would say no , if you want to save money. The low season from March to June is probably where you will find the best deals . If you want to sign up for a 1 year rental contract , many tenants move out during low season . Also you can find a cheap temporary place to stay before you decide where you want to live .

So anyone considering moving to Thailand should take their time until you find a location you would like to stay for the next few years, do not agree on longer contracts than 1 year , maybe even 6 months in case you want to move out early and you risk losing your deposit.

Regarding work, more and more people, especially the younger generation and also the older folks like myself are working remotely from Thailand and already have a project going on before they arrive. Digital nomads is the new way of earning money while living abroad. So many people choose Thailand to save money , still being a low cost country compared to the west.

What is the best season/time of the year to move to Thailand, and why?

No, I think there is no any better than other seasons to move if you tend to live more permanently.

How do rent prices fluctuate based on the different seasons?

If you are offering long term tenancy, no fluctuation in general. Only some top touristic spots that look for short term holiday people. But those are not maybe primary locations for long term expats.

Is there a change in the job market depending on the seasons, such as job availability?

No.

Are there any seasonal festivals or cultural events that would allow you to learn about the country?

Yes.
(Many, all around the year.)

What are the times of year to avoid for expatriation to Thailand?

None.

During which season did you move? How did it go?

February. Went fine. 20 years ago.

Best Time To Move to Thailand for most people would be the cooler months, Nov, Dec, Jan, for most people I think? For me, I lived in Arizona for 25 years, the summer there is more Hot than Thailand and I loved the summer in Az, for me not a problem to move to Thailand even in the warmer months.

I have lived here now 4 years with my beautiful Thai wife, 2 step kids and our 1 year old baby girl, Ekamai Soi 2 for 3 and a half years, now in Om Yai, Saphran, Nakhon Pathom for 6 months close to Mother Inlaw, by springtime, we want to move to Haad Chao Samran, need to get a boat and start fishing again :)

I've made 4 trips back to the USA, each lasting about 3 months helping take care of my father in Minnesota.

The best advice I can give a westerner or anyone, if your going to be here for long-term, its an absolute MUST that you get your Thai drivers licence , it took me a total of 3 hours in Mo Chit office to get both my motorbike and D.L. and a total of 500 Baht. For an American you need to learn how to drive on the left side of the road., Don`t Freak Out, you can do it, it took me only one week and I had it down.

Have A Great Week!

Mark Montagne.