Best season to move to Cambodia

Hello,

Many expats choose to move to Cambodia at a specific time of the year, and we invite you to share some tips about the best seasons to move to the country.

What is the best season/time of the year to move to Cambodia, and why?

How do rent prices fluctuate based on the different seasons?

Is there a change in the job market depending on the seasons, such as job availability?

Are there any seasonal festivals or cultural events that would allow you to learn about the country?

What are the times of year to avoid for expatriation to Cambodia?

During which season did you move? How did it go?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Hello Priscilla.

I hate to admit it but I'm again of not much use in your survey, but I have some points to mention.

Expatriate in the heavy rain season, the worst part of the year, which is August/September. The rain season is much longer but these are the worst months. This way you will experience the country at it's lowest level. The good thing about it is that it will all be much better after that. If you arrive in the dry season, with lovely weather everyday, sunshine, all looks wonderful. But the same place that looked so wonderful can change into a nasty place in the heavy rain times, when even some areas of PP [example] will flood. In other places like Sihanoukville the roads will be damaged by the rain and flooding, so not the same as in the dry season.

Rents, jobs do not vary per season. Of course there are seasonal jobs like teaching, but that is logical.
The only thing that changes is hotel/guesthouse prices, they lower their prices during the low season.

A nice time to have both good weather and cultural events is November/December.

In PP there is the Water festival, dominated by long boat rowing competitions [long boats with 50 rowers!] and colourful boats at night. More than a million people visit this festival, which lasts 3 days.
It is a tribute to the powerful Khmer marine forces during the Khmer Empire.

It's also a tribute to Tonle sap river, that changes back to downstream flow, after having had upstream flow during the rain season.

Around Siem reap is the annual Angkor Festival held, where many performers give a good idea of the cultural history of Cambodia, it takes place with Angkor Wat as background.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Joe