Visa permanente/temporal question

For those of you that went the visa permanente/temporal route.
when you applied for either one of them do they determine which one you qualify for or do you have to pick one apply and if you do not qualify then re-apply for a different one?
Thanks for your valuable input.

There are different requirements and benefits to each. Go to your local Consulate Generals website and they will provide you the requirements.

Chilangolite wrote:

when you applied for either one of them do they determine which one you qualify for or do you have to pick one apply and if you do not qualify then re-apply for a different one?

If you qualify for either they don't exactly tell you what to choose, but they do strongly encourage you to go for Permanente.
At least that was my case. It would depend on your income of course. They do determine what you are eligible for based on your income evidence and you choose to accept or not.  What they said to me is your income qualifies you to have temporal or permanente. ' if you want to live here we suggest you choose permanente.

Hi to all, I have been looking at different Mexican consulate site, more and more are adding the new long term visa for visitors (10 years) like the consulate in Phoenix under the visa without the permission to work
https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/phoenix/in … 1-05/visashttps://www.gob.mx/tramites/ficha/visa- … ion/SRE311
or adding specifics in regards to your stay in the case of Utah the quote that you will be "You are moving to Mexico to be there indefinitely" to get the permanent visa   https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/saltlakeci … isas?id=57

So maybe the Mexican authorities want to make sure that foreigners with a Permanent resident status will live fulltime in Mexico or with the Temporary residency status up to 4 years in both case not being only snowbirds.

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC.

mexicogc wrote:

Hi to all, I have been looking at different Mexican consulate site, more and more are adding the new long term visa for visitors (10 years) like the consulate in Phoenix under the visa without the permission to work
https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/phoenix/in … 1-05/visashttps://www.gob.mx/tramites/ficha/visa- … ion/SRE311
or adding specifics in regards to your stay in the case of Utah the quote that you will be "You are moving to Mexico to be there indefinitely" to get the permanent visa   https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/saltlakeci … isas?id=57

So maybe the Mexican authorities want to make sure that foreigners with a Permanent resident status will live fulltime in Mexico or with the Temporary residency status up to 4 years in both case not being only snowbirds.

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC.

To my knowledge, there has never been anything that stated you can be a snowbird and have a residente Permanente visa.  Of course, if you go way back, visas and passports were not required at all, you could pretty much come and go as you pleased and Mexicans and others crossed freely.

As I understand it they monitor how long you are out of the country if you have a permanent visa. Now they are looking more closely and are computerized for this task. 6 years ago the agent who represented my house said she could only be out of the country for 3-month blocks and remain permanent. I have not challenged that by leaving for extended periods of time.  They seem to be leaning away from temporary visas. Looking at people who clearly have the funds to stay long term I suspect.

I picked the residente/permanente because I wanted to become a citizen but didn't want to go through more paperwork. When I first moved to Mexico in 2004, we had to go through 2 visas (each for several years) and then apply for the next level. Now I hear it's much easier.

The only thing not allowed with the residente visa is the power to vote, so I chose it, since I don't care about being a part of Mexican elections. Also I don't know if I can be a part of a political demonstration but I don't care about that either, at least in Mexico.

I chose the permanente route - they didn't choose it for me.

so what loops did u need to go through to become a permanente? i am marrying a mexican citizen this month and want to become a citizen as well

travellight wrote:

As I understand it they monitor how long you are out of the country if you have a permanent visa. Now they are looking more closely and are computerized for this task. 6 years ago the agent who represented my house said she could only be out of the country for 3-month blocks and remain permanent. I have not challenged that by leaving for extended periods of time.

I believe this requirement has been dropped with the more immigration policy changes -- at least this is what I read on another forum.  From what I read, INM no longer monitors or cares how long you are out of the country if you have a permanent resident visa.  I can't quote a specific document, though.  Maybe someone who is more familiar with this can comment?

I tried to check it out on the government site today and they said modifications were being made, so the information was not available currently. So I guess we cannot say what the current policy is today.

travellight wrote:

I tried to check it out on the government site today and they said modifications were being made, so the information was not available currently. So I guess we cannot say what the current policy is today.

http://www.diputados.gob.mx/LeyesBiblio … 091117.pdf
MIGRATION LAW
CHAMBER OF DEPUTIES OF THE H. CONGRESS OF THE UNION
General Secretary
Secretariat of Parliamentary Services
Last Reform DOF 09-11-2017

Google Translation:
"18 of 51
CHAPTER II
OF THE STAY OF FOREIGNERS IN THE NATIONAL TERRITORY
Article 52. Foreigners may remain in the national territory under the conditions of
stay of visitor, temporary resident and permanent resident, provided that they meet the requirements
established in this Law, its Regulations and other applicable legal provisions, in accordance with
the next:
The visa accredits requirements for a stay condition and authorizes the foreigner to appear in
any place destined to the international transit of people and request their entrance to the country in said
stay condition, notwithstanding that later obtain a residence card.
IX. PERMANENT RESIDENT. Authorizes the foreigner to remain in the national territory of
indefinitely, with permission to work in exchange for remuneration in the country.
Article 53. Visitors, with the exception of those for humanitarian reasons and those who have
Mexican or foreigner with regular residence in Mexico can not change their condition
stay and will have to leave the country at the end of the period of authorized stay.
Article 54. The status of permanent resident will be granted to the foreigner who is located in
any of the following assumptions:
I. For reasons of political asylum, recognition of refugee status and protection
complementary or by the determination of stateless person, previous fulfillment of the requirements established in
this Law, its Regulations and other applicable legal provisions;
II. For the right to the preservation of the family unit in the cases of article 55 of this Law;
III. That they are retired or pensioned that they receive of a foreign government or of organisms
international companies or private companies for services provided abroad, an income that
allow to live in the country;
III. That they are retired or pensioned that they receive of a foreign government or of organisms
international companies or private companies for services provided abroad, an income that
allow to live in the country;
IV. By decision of the Institute, according to the system of points established for that purpose, in terms
of article 57 of this Law;
V. Because four years have passed since the foreigner has a permit from
temporary residence;
Vl. For having children of Mexican nationality by birth, and
VII. Being an ascendant or descendant in a straight line up to the second degree of a Mexican
birth.
Foreigners who are granted permanent residence status will have
the possibility of obtaining a work permit in exchange for remuneration in the country subject to a
offer of employment, and with the right to enter and leave the national territory as many times as they wish.

Also, permanent residents may buy and sell their personal real estate property, in the form and terms
determined by the applicable legislation."

There is no máximum time out of the country law or rule for Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente visa/card holders since the 2011 INM law was enacted on Nov. 9th. 2012.  Residente Temporal visas/cards expire. Residente Permanente visas/cards don´t expire. The maximum time out of the country limit is/was a rumor.

Google Translation:

"MIGRATION LAW
CHAMBER OF DEPUTIES OF THE H. CONGRESS OF THE UNION
General Secretary
Secretariat of Parliamentary Services
Last Reform DOF 09-11-2017

CHAPTER II
THE STAY OF FOREIGNERS IN THE NATIONAL TERRITORY

Temporary Resident:
"The persons referred to in the preceding paragraphs will be authorized to reside regularly in national territory under the condition of a temporary resident, with the possibility of obtaining a permission to work in exchange for remuneration in the country subject to an offer of employment, and with right to enter and leave the national territory as many times as they wish.
In the event that the temporary resident has an offer of employment, permission will be granted to work in exchange for remuneration in the country, in the activity related to said offer of job.
Foreigners who are granted temporary resident status may
buy and sell your personal real estate property, in the form and terms determined by the applicable legislation."

Thanks for clarifying that, alleycat!  Good to know...   :)

CaribeGal wrote:

Thanks for clarifying that, alleycat!  Good to know...   :)

You are welcome.

for anyone who requires the" letter" that is part of the residency requirements I've attached a template of the one I submitted and was accepted.

Consulado General de Mexico                                            Day  de Month de Year
   San Diego,California,EEUU.

Por medio de la presente solicito Estado de Residencia (Type of visa Temporal or Permanente).
Cumplo con todos los requisitos y tengo ingresos mayor a lo requerido.

El suscrito (Your Name here), de nacionalidad Estadounidense ( EEUU)
Con Domicilio: (Your US address here)
numero de telefono (Your US telephone # here)

Domicilio Mexicana: (Your Mexico address here)
   , con el numero telefono (Your mexico phone # here)

Manifiesto  ser pensionado, y  no voy a dedicarme a ninguna actividad remunerada.

Atentamente
(Your full name here)
(Your signature here)

Unfortunately, this link does not work.  Do you have an updated one?

http://www.diputados.gob.mx/LeyesBiblio … 091117.pdf

Thanks!

It is a PDF and will open on a laptop not on a Smart phone.

My wife and I just received our visas last week (June 28th 2018) at the Mexico Consulate offices in Washington D.C.  I ended up getting a Permanent Resident Visa and my wife only got a Temporary Resident Visa. We both applied for Permanent Resident Visas and were pretty sure we would both get them, considering our financial situation, and the fact that we already own a home in San Miguel de Allende. But as a result of our separate interviews, it was my current income and proof of (near) future pension income that got me across the line for a Permanent Visa, whereas my wife (who is a housewife) provided our savings and investments as evidence of our qualification for Permanent Visas. However because our savings and investments are in joint names, only 50% was allocated to her (which I understand) and that wasn't enough to qualify over each of the 12 months of savings they reviewed. So to sum up we applied for Permanent Visas, but only one of us got it. It was the Consular officer who told us what we were qualified for, and we did not have to reapply. We were informed that this isn't a major issue as we intend to be in Mexico long enough for the "automatic" transfer of my wife's Temporary visa to Permanent visa status in 4 years anyway.

Hi, when my wife and I applied, we had transfered investments under my wife's name so she would comply for the permanent resident visa based on a combination of her pensions and investments.

While that for my part, my pension revenues alone were sufficient for the permanent resident visa.

We started the transfer process about 6 to 9 months before the interview .

Having the permanent resident visa is costing less and no need to go back at INM on a yearly base.

Adios y buen dia a todos. GyC.

alleycat1 wrote:

I am on a laptop.  It does not open for me.  I get a 404 Not found response for this link:
(http://www.diputados.gob.mx/LeyesBiblio … 091117.pdf):

"Not Found
The requested URL /LeyesBiblio/pdf/LMigra_091117.pdf was not found on this server."

I'm not sure what is wrong, but I do not have a problem opening other pdf files from links.

You pick one and be prepared to bring the documentation required to validate that. If you do not qualify; you can apply for temporary by re-filling out the form and re-applying. We saw people doing that on same day at Phoenix Mexican consulate. We cannot speak for the other consulates.

CaribeGal wrote:
alleycat1 wrote:

I am on a laptop.  It does not open for me.  I get a 404 Not found response for this link:
(http://www.diputados.gob.mx/LeyesBiblio … 091117.pdf):

"Not Found
The requested URL /LeyesBiblio/pdf/LMigra_091117.pdf was not found on this server."

I'm not sure what is wrong, but I do not have a problem opening other pdf files from links.

Try this one.
http://www.diputados.gob.mx/LeyesBiblio … 250618.pdf

Seems they updated the INM laws on this website on "Última reforma publicada 25-06-2018" last week.

Can some one clarify if 1830 usd a month for a young couple will a lot for either visa.

What does your consulate office require? To my understanding each consulate office has different requirements.

It is based on a certain percentage of the avg wages in Mexico.  Not sure what it is this year.  The consulate can make a difference.  Checkout the Ex Pat  blog 2 expats mexico or something like that-he has great easy to understand blogs you can look at about all sorts of stuff

As I have lived in Morelos for almost 6yrs.  I knew I wanted a permanent Visa.  6 years ago if you had a temporary visa you needed to reregister I believe annually at the boarder.  Having a perminent visa makes your life so much easier. You can travel, and be out of the country without limits to duration.  Only,  if you are seeking to be a Mexican Citizen, you can only be out of Mexico no longer that 180 days consecutively.

As for housing and utilities  it's so reasonable.  I have found that Gas is the most expensive item.  May I suggest to look at small communities as well. Curenavaca is a large city. If your looking for authentic culture try the out skirts.  You'll be delighted that you did.
Converting dollars to pesos.  Have a CitiBank account in the states and open a Banamex account here in Mexico.  (CitiBanamex) transfer transactions are at no additional charge.  Transfer dollars to pesos. Use the ATM to get pesos.
Once you do get your visa in your passport, you need to get your "green card" once you have setttled down (a week or two after you have arrived) . Speak to the counslet when you get your visa.

GageTN wrote:

Can some one clarify if 1830 usd a month for a young couple will a lot for either visa.

that is enough for 1 person.

That's partially correct $1,800 is enough to live, however, not enough to get a permanent Visa,I don't think. You really need to go to the Mexican consulate to try to get the perminant Visa.  You both will need to show a reserve income or savings.  Also depends where you live and what your needs are.  Rx, medical, dentist are reasonable.

Chilangolite wrote:
GageTN wrote:

It's enough to get 1 person a temporary visa that can result in a permanent visa in 4 years.
However it must be verifiable to the individual.

Go to the Mexican consulate office in your area for an answer in detail to your quesion.

Chilangolite wrote:
Chilangolite wrote:
GageTN wrote:

It's enough to get 1 person a temporary visa that can result in a permanent visa in 4 years.
However it must be verifiable to the individual.

There are other ways to get a temporary visa if you don't qualify financially. If you live in a border area and work in the USA you can quality for a temporary visa that eventually could become a permanent visa.

Chilangolite wrote:

Chilangolite
it's entirely up to the policies of the  Mx.counsel in your country. They look at your income and other paperwork then tell you what you are qualified for. Check with them and they will go through the paperwork and process you need to follow.

I would suggest for you to see if the MX consualte office in your area has a web site. Our consulate office in Portland had a web site and they listed all the requirements, as well as, contact information in scheduling an appointment.