Traveling to Syria

Hi.  I don't know if anyone can help me on this subject but, I am desperate.  I am an American citizen and my husband is Syrian.  Obviously with things the way they are right now in the world, my husband can not be with me here and if he can it is going to take a very long time to achieve. So, if he cant come here then I will go to him.  My question is, I'm having a very hard time finding a way to get there.  Is there any countries that offer flights into Syria?  Can someone point me in the right direction on how I can travel there to be with him.

Flight wise, I think only Syrian air flies there nowadays from the Middle East; Dubai/Doha/Bahrain etc.  They have a few more routes to Iran and even Russia. But I think it is maybe one flight in a week or something.  You need to check it.   The alternative that some friends have done is fly into Beirut and do a road trip. 

Having said it; be very aware if you are an American citizen (and Caucasian), Syria is not the place to be right now.  Secondly, you will be flagged by your own government and will face hassles in the future.

I have to completely disagree with XTang on his/her last paragraph. The fact that you're asking about visiting Syria has probably raised flags with your local intelligence agency. The fact that your husband is a Syrian, and that you are his wife may have already put you on a list of sorts.

As long as you do not visit terrorist-held areas, (in which case I have no desire to help you, and by that I mean any areas controlled by the Syrian government or their allies, which is the only place I can guarantee you protection under international laws, and the only places I know how to get visas for) and do not return radicalised in a niqab or hijab, you should have no problems with visiting, living in and becoming a citizen of Syria.

American or not, you will be treated with great hospitality (if you remain in safe areas, and those are held under the government of the Syrian president - Bashar Al Assad). If not the terrorists themselves, then bombs aimed at them may injure, maim or kill you if you wander too far away (which is a task in and of itself).

You will need to fly to Lebanon (Beirut, reachable by most international flight carriers) and then get a visa from the Syrian embassy in Lebanon. From there, you can take a taxi,

BigShaq wrote:

I have to completely disagree with XTang on his/her last paragraph. The fact that you're asking about visiting Syria has probably raised flags with your local intelligence agency. The fact that your husband is a Syrian, and that you are his wife may have already put you on a list of sorts.

Not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing :)  as you pretty much said the same thing.

The disagreement is that there will be no hassles, in terms of: if you're suspected of terrorism, they'll turn your life upside down without letting you know and then raid you at the last minute. Otherwise, they'll evaluate who you are and what you stand for, and will already have "notes" saying that you're good and not in need of scrutiny.

There is no need to go all the way to Russia or Iran (which in itself raises more flags, lole) - one can go to Beirut and take the taxi. That way, short of your passport being scrutinised page-by-page (which has never happened to me in the west), there will be no way of them knowing that you visited Syria.

Closed