Germany visa

Hello everyone!!iam facing a problem in booking slots for Germany visa in mumbai but i got a ver nice college in Germany and it starts from September last week...i have called them to book the slot but whenever i called either slots didn't open or slots arent available..i have been trying since 3 days.. please help me with this...what should i do?

There are several discussions on this forum about the difficulty of getting appointments in the German embassy and consulates in India.
You may want to read those, but I am afraid it won't help you solve the issue.
Maybe you can travel to another country with a less busy German embassy?

beppi wrote:

There are several discussions on this forum about the difficulty of getting appointments in the German embassy and consulates in India.

Yeah, one hears about these problems in India pretty often. Not to sound culturally insensative but I have traveled a couple of times in India and know the system of baksheesh. One should not try to bribe someone into doing something that is against the law but to facilite appointments and/or getting things done that should get done anyway might take a payoff of some sort. Its sad but that is how things work in much of the world. And even in the west, one would be suprised how much having the right connections, lawyers or cash helps. Of course they don't call it bribery here, oh NO! It's called making donations or lobbying...

Tom: I do not think the German embassies and consulates take part in such illegal behaviour. They are simply overwhelmed by too many applicants!

It true that bribery is a wide spread issue in Indian system. But I don't think either that you need to bribe embassy staff. Try to walk-in and seek information.

So is there any solution for this?

Madhuri_g wrote:

So is there any solution for this?

Yes, I mentioned a potential solution in my post above.
Another one is to have less Indians wanting to apply.
A third is to have more embassy staff, but I don't think that will happen unless your country pays dor it.

Get an appointment and go there to get information. Normally they don't even provide visa information over phone.
Second option would be to apply in a different in a embassy in a separate State. A less busy state.Try Delhi f.a.e

beppi wrote:

Tom: I do not think the German embassies and consulates take part in such illegal behaviour. They are simply overwhelmed by too many applicants!

The problem is that them being overworked gives people a chance to demand money to facilitate things. In the Indian culture it is the way things are done, they don't see it as illegal, they are providing a service. This happens in banks, government offices, everywhere. And other than the ambassador or consulate, most workers at such places are locals. An official in India expecting baksheesh is no more unusual than a German eating a pretzel on their morning work break. I'm not trying to be judgmental here, just to say how it can be. Expecting the same way of looking at such things there as it is here is simply naïve.

I disagree: A bribery scandal in a German embassy (anywhere) would make such big waves that I am sure they do anything to prevent it.
It might happen in a few isolated cases, but not as systematic as this shortage of appointment slots seems to be.
For a discussion of how widespread corruption is or isn't in India, please refer to the India forum, not here.

In my opinion, it could cause even more problems and get the person requesting an appointment into a heap of trouble if the wrong person is asked.

I have no concrete proof and I am not trying to make specific accusations. I am proposing something for people to consider when things don't work the way they are supposed to.  Sounds like speculating why a car engine doesn't work but refusing to check if there is any fuel left in the tank. Such problems seem to be reported on this site for multiple places in India – and to my knowledge virtually nowhere else. A coincident? Maybe, maybe not. I think many in the west have slanted perceptions of how things work in much of the world. Expecting that things work completely different in a consulate than in the rest of the country sounds like a naïve rationalization. Maybe you guys are trying to project your cultural expectations?

Even for Europeans, the custom of tipping service personnel in restaurants in the USA often seems strange.  Would an American worker give up these tips, which are actually the majority the money they earn, because others don't have this custom? No way. Are they ripping off their customers? No, these are expected and are part of the wages rather than just something extra for good service.  But what is the difference of tipping for service after the fact in such a situation - or before the fact, like getting something done in India? They would not even understand the objection; it would not be perceived as corruption. Another example would be that some public museums in the States have free admission. People used to this might be surprised when they encounter museums elsewhere that charge a sizable entrance fee. Corruption, extortion? No, just another way things are financed. But argue all you want, without paying the admission, one doesn't get let in.

Maybe such German facilities in India manage to suppress the practice there but suggesting that the cultural norms might be in play is not unfounded. Rationalizing that such things could not exist doesn't fly. I would welcome some comments here from Indians that have actually lived the situation.