Belgium visa : joint application in India

Hi,

I am currently residing currently in the USA for the past two years, and will be applying for a Belgium long stay visa (type D) to do research at KU Leuven. Considering the apostille requirements, I need to go back to India and apply for the Belgium visa there, along with my wife.

I am not sure about the following documents for my wife's application, as we will be applying together.

1. Resident permit in Belgium - Hope we can apply together for the visa, rather me going there first, getting a resident permit and then bringing my wife?

2. Proof of health insurance in Belgium - Do I need to arrange any separate document to cover my wife's insurance from the university?

3. Proof of accommodation in Belgium - Do I need to book some hotels during the first week's/month's stay in Belgium, and show that as a proof?

I am clear about all the other necessary documents, but couldn't find information about the above documents for a joint visa application. Your comments on this would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Fahd

1. RP is needed only when one is already here and the other one of the partners apply for s reunion. When you apply together, this is not relevant.

2. Yes. A letter from your employer (in this case the university) that your spouse will be covered in a Belgian mutuality. For the travel and initial settling down period (to bridge the time taken for initial registration here and subscription to insurance/mutuality), you may buy a travel medical insurance for a month or so.

3. Yes. Hotel booking for initial stay and additionally a letter from your employer stating you will find a long term accommodation here after your initial hotel stay etc. (Or mention in the cover letter)

Good luck !

Thank you very much Aneesh. This is very helpful.