Moving to England

Hello there,

I am a master student in Italy. will graduate this summer. I have been to England for a number of times and applied for UK visitor visa two times got successful in it. I would like to move to England after studies but I do not know how really! getting a job there is tough, requires the applicant to have 20k pounds a year at least. I want to go there and work. do you know any route?

Thank you

Hi,

As an Iraqi citizen, you have no right to work or live anywhere in the EU without first getting the appropriate visa.  For non-EU citizens, the UK is currently using a quota system, so anything that I put below may be subject to quota and any application you make be declined.

To get a work visa for the UK specifically, you have a couple of options:

First - apply for one of the Tier work visas; they are all listed on the UK Gov website and you can access them from this link.

Second - you will need to find a job that is featured on the UK Gov Shortage Occupation list; you can access the list from this link.  Assuming you qualify for one of these jobs, you then have to find a job from an employer who will sponsor your visa and has to pay you above any limit described in the Shortage Occupation list.

You should note that all work visas are temporary by nature and you may have to return to your own country at the end of your visa; there is no guarantee that you'll get the right to stay in the UK.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Dear Cynic,

Thank you for your reply.

indeed I currently reside in Italy and can work after getting a work permit here. so no problem here in Europe, but I want to get one in the UK and it seems quite tough. Thank you for the links. it appears disappointing to immigrate to the United kingdom unfortunately.

Best regards,

Ramiar

Ramiar Jamal wrote:

Dear Cynic,

Thank you for your reply.

indeed I currently reside in Italy and can work after getting a work permit here. so no problem here in Europe, but I want to get one in the UK and it seems quite tough. Thank you for the links. it appears disappointing to immigrate to the United kingdom unfortunately.

Best regards,

Ramiar

I think you are spot-on; the UK is being very restrictive with regards who it lets into the country; mainly because historically, they were too soft and many took advantage of the situation, to the detriment of everybody else living there.

I wish you the best of luck in your journey wherever you end up.  Italy is also a nice country.