Help! Booked to wrong airport and need ground transportation

I don't know what to do.  I booked to PUJ airport and have to get to the Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa.
I saw that it costs about $375/each way and a flight might also be cost prohibited.
Do you know if Mega Bus or Caribe Tours or some other service that won't be too expensive?
Or how much those costs?
I don't think we should rent a car, I've heard it can be a little scary.
The distance is far, help.  We are going in about 2.5 weeks.
Help please.

Welcome to the forums. Honey you are not the first to make this mistake.

So,  here is what you do.

Taxi to the  Bavaro express from the airport - not sure of cost.

Bavaro express bus to Santo Domingo. Get out at the last stop.(Parque Enriquillo)

Taxi to Caribe Tours,  cost  250 RD or about  6 bucks.

Caribe Tours to  Puerto Plata -  about 400RD  each person,  8 bucks.

Taxi from  Puerto Plata to Cofresi  probably about  350 RD another 7 bucks.

Wow, that's a great solution Planner.  Not trying to be sarcastic but do you really think a new person to the country has 1/2 a chance at following these directions successfully when their destination is over 6 hours by car one way?  I would first look at cancelling either the flight or the destination and pair up whats left.   2 days of wasted vacation travel time is worth a lot more than a few hundred dollars of savings in my opinion...

And that will be his decision not mine. I simply offered the solution as requested -  bus!   His call not mine and not yours.

6500rs1

First question : what time would you arrive at Punta Cana Airport ?

Agreed Planner, however, I wouldn't want to offer a solution that seems hard to resist to an unsuspecting tourist without advising them of the associated risks.  I work with travelers frequently and although some are quite experienced, others get lost just looking for the exit from the airport.  I'm just saying, let's be prudent.

I prefer to let adults decide. I am done with this conversation.  I answered the question.

Thank you very much.
I appreciate it, it's what I was thinking of doing.

Just for the heck of it, I tried Planner's solution using Google maps and online information.
Yes, it's a pain, but I could do it without too much hassle as long as I had my phone available.
As Planner said, an adult asked the question so it's an adult's choice to decide what they want to do.
If alone or a couple, I would contact my airline first in the hope they could change the flight, if not I'd go with Planner's solution.
If I was with kids, that would likely change.

Thank you.  I would like to know the risks.  I speak Spanish and I understand some of them, but not most / all.

It is 2 groups of folks:
a couple (I think fine to use bus)
a young mother and her 2 year old (probably I will pay for her to go in cab)

It will be thousands to change the flight.

IF two  groups then both go in cab.  Get a van that will sit  8 people easily!

Couple at 12:10 pm.
Single young lady 3:50 pm.
Young lady with baby 2:10 pm.

Thank you.  I have been to the Dominican before.  I really hope my husband will go for it.  It's thousands to change the flight and we already paid for everything else.  So bummed.  I was looking for these answer - super helpful.  (I'm a moderately good traveler)

The last bus leaves Bávaro at 4:00pm. You will not be able to take it. If you want to travel by bus, you 'll be obliged to spend a night in Bávaro.

Here the Expreso Bávaro timetable :

7 AM     1 PM
9 AM     3 PM
11 AM     4 PM

400 pesos

The Bus sets off from the place called Friusa (Bávaro). Taxi from  Punta Cana Airport +/- 25 min. prices -/+ 35 US$. You must be at the bus station 1 hour in advance as there is no booking available. Be aware the number of places is limited, the bus could be full. In your case, you'd better to arrive 90 min in advance to avoid any other inconvenience in your trip. It lasts about 3 hours. Parque Enriquillo is the penultimate stop, It is not a super safe place for "moderately good travelers".The terminal is at  calle Juan Sánchez Ramírez (esquina con Av/ Máximo Gómez). There are a few FastFood ( Domino Pizza etc ...) a few steps from there in Avenida Máximo Gómez, go into it, it is a safe place from where you will call a taxi.

I do not recommend to travel at night. ( Sunset +/- 7:00pm )

Caribe tours : leave on the hour from 6:00 am, online booking available. Confirm you booking 30 min before or it will be cancelled. Caribe Tours Website

Good info. I forgot that last stop!

You all arrive close enough to all go in one van from punta cana to cofresi.

A HUMBLE SUGGESTION: Although driving may be “scary” it may be the easiest and potentially most economical option. I recommend getting GPS and studying the route well beforehand, perhaps even printing maps as a backup. It's mostly highway driving with a few tolls. Please bring small Dominican bills (100's or 500's) to pay them.

If you're flying United call it the 800 number and they are trying to work with all passengers so they may help you read book your ticket otherwise if you're flying another airline called them up and ask them if they could help you out

Is it possible to just book a whole new flight and use the one you already have as a credit for a future trip?

You will have to check with the airline first they may give you a credit they may charge you call the airline first