Helping a friend relocate from Venezuela to the UK

Hi guys,

I have a friend from Caracas, Venezuela, who is seeking to move out due to the political and economical situation in the country. As you may know, each day the country is getting worse and the situation is worsening and becoming even more unstable than it ever was before.

I am a citizen of the UK, born and bred British, and I know how strict the laws are on emigrating to the UK from outside of the EU. I was wondering if any of the people on this site could help to give me an insight as to how they moved from Venezuela to the UK, and what the process consisted of. My friend is only 18 years old and she has some family in NY, USA. She has almost completed school and is looking to move as soon as possible. I was wondering if it would be any easier to first go to the USA and then try to relocate to the UK? Or if anyone has any other suggestions, that would be highly appreciated. Also, I'm not sure how difficult this would be but would it be possible for her to gain status in the modelling industry and be brought over to work in the UK as an international sponsored model?

Thanks for your time! Muchas gracias y espero su respuesta.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't have given your friend much chance of getting into the UK, then I read the "modelling" comment; perhaps she may qualify for a Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa.  The details are described on the UK Gov website; this link will take you there.  If you read through it, you will see that there is a category for "the arts"; this is how the actors, artists etc of the world get around and I suppose that models must fall into the same category.

Other than that, the reality is that she has no chance of getting into the UK.  If she is being threatened, then perhaps she should consider seeking asylum in a neighbouring safe country, unfortunately, the UK wouldn't qualify, but it would get her out of danger.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team