Advice on renting a flat

Hello all!

We (me, my girlfriend and our cat) are planning on moving to Rotterdam this year. My plan was to save up some money (enough for 3 month rent + something extra), find some job and move (sounds easy).
Unfortunately it seems almost impossible as I started researching. Most of offers require a gross income of 4x rent price (our current salaries are barely enough for 1x, not 4x). Also I am not sure how many of them would allow a pet (although she is calm and there are no problems with her). And I don't know about accommodation from recruitment agencies (I've contacted a few about the topic, but got no answer), but I guess we would have to live with other people, which we wouldn't like to.

If somebody has any useful advice/idea, please let me know. Thank you in case of reply.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

You've just about summed up how difficult it is to move to Holland nowadays.  My daughter was lucky enough to qualify for social housing when she first moved back; nowadays she (and you) wouldn't qualify.

You could be forgiven for thinking that some countries just want tourists.

Thanks for the answer. What if I saved up more money? Let's say I saved 6x rent price (for half year). Do you think the agencies would be willing to "forgive" the fact that I am not earning the required salary? Still the pet problem remains. This is a nightmare.

They will want to see your work contract; how much you have in your pocket doesn't work, you could blow it all the next day.

Sorry, I wasn't exact. I meant actually paying the 6x rent at once. But it's probably not very realistic anyway. Nevermind, I guess I will have to find some other way.