Renovation costs

Hello everyone,
I'm Wenn from Singapore and married to a Mauritian. We are looking to retire in Mauritius maybe in another 10 years. Currently looking at getting our own place. Would like to know how much it would cost to renovate a house of about 170 sqm?

Regards,
Wenn

Hello,

Renovation most of the times is a series of complex tasks and as such, hard to give you a figure without knowing the characteristics of the house and the way you intend to renovate it.

Only a contractor after an inspection will be able to provide you with a quotation.

It really depends what work you want done, and who you get to do it.

What i will say is be careful with renovations, sometimes they end up being more expensive than just pulling the structure down and building from scratch.

Hi Winston and Islander,
Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it! :)

I guess I'm jumping ahead of things. Am looking at the budget we have and comparing it with getting a place and the amount of work to be done. Some places are old and require some renovations while some are turnkey or in grey state etc. At this point, we are not looking to build from scratch.

Here's the problem Wennvee, contractors in Mauritius are notoriously unreliable, i speak from experience and i'm sure many people will tell you the same here.

So unless you get a really, really good deal on a fixer-upper, a property that's already in good shape and needs minimal home improvements is a better bet.

Noted.
Even in Singapore, we do have errant contractors or those contractors who went bust. I had a worker who poured cement water down our toilet bowl during renovations!

Yeah but also, even if they are capable of doing a good job, the problem is the lack of a proper work ethic.

They won't come consistently, they won't come on time, they won't complete the job as required.

Unless you can get a reputable company to do it, but i don't even know if that exists. And if it does, expect very high prices.

One thing which is going on presently is a construction boom, and so there are a lot of developments being built, especially in the North.

Hi,
Are you still looking for a reliable contractor for your renovation works?

Hi,
Yes, still looking. At the same time saving up for the renovations. Maybe you can drop me a private message with your contacts.

Moderated by Christine 5 years ago
Reason : promoting freely your services is not allowed on the forum. Please register your agency in the business directory. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct