Moving to Taicang

Hello everyone!

We're looking to move to China (mostly likely Taicang) in the near future. I've heard that customs regulations there can be quite different than in the West regarding shipping our personal items there. How much would we be able to ship duty-free? Are there any unusual restrictions that one should be aware of? Can we arrange this easily ourselves? Or would we be better off enlisting the help of a relocation agent?

Thanks a lot!

Packing list is required and you should honestly enlist everything. It's suggested to avoid electronics and anything expensive.
d
The difference between relocation co. and DIY is the fact you will be dealing with several people and your personal items/furniture may arrive damaged or infected with mold.
Apartments here are usually furnished. Electronics and home appliances are affordable if you prefer new used items. IKEA for example  can deliver to anywhere in China.
When I moved here i had 75kg baggage allowance, so I took mainly clothes, shoes, wines and my ps2. It was more than enough to get started.
Don't waste too much energy on house hunting online, it's mostly not accurate and turn over is very high. All you nned to do is book a hotel or two hotels at two different locations for a week or two and take your time looking around til you find that sweet spot.
Good luck!

Thanks a lot! Will do what you recommended. :-)