Friendship ...companionship

I'm a single senior...are Thai people friendly and open..would it be to forward to approach people just to say high? I'm thinking about retirement and buying a condo .  I'm a extrovert... love talking to people.

It would be best for you to make a few exploratory trips to see what you think. Many fall in love at first site. Others after awhile are not as flexible and have difficulty learning or understanding the "The Thai Way". For example, time has a different concept in Thailand then it would in the US. Metropolitan areas have pockets of "Farangs" (foreigners) which make it very helpful. Staying within those area's you can stick to English. The further you go out the more need for Thai language. It can be heaven or hell, it depends upon your personality. If you insist on having things your way then your are forgetting the concept that while in Thailand you are a guest of the Kingdom of Thailand.

Good point...I guess a person tends to over see that you are a visitor first...

It is a broad stroke of the brush to question if Thai people are friendly and open. You will find all kinds of personalities in the hood and not all people living in Thailand are Thai. Keep that in mind and pay a visit to form your own perspective. It also depends on how you exercise respect for your company . . . same same as where you are now. Extrovert is a bonus. Being outgoing, caring, wise, curious to learn, and steady as a rock are also virtues that contribute to survival. I believe most people are good people. But keep your head up and the souls of your feet down and remain alert. There have been many dark alleys that I would not venture down in my travels around this Earth. Thailand is no different. So to answer your question, yes Thai people are friendly. Are they open? I'm not so sure about that. Up to you.   dcb

I think that Thai people are very friendly and open mind people.

Every where i come or live, Thai have invite me in, To join them in they live.

Still remember when i move in the first house i rent here in Thailand, On the day i move in, A nice older Thai man come and say hello !!

And ask if i want to join him later, He have some friends and family coming to eat, And he want me to join them, And from that evening i got some friends i still talk to and see now and then.

I never live in area with many foreigners, But never have problem with living in "Thai area".

Thai are going to let you know if they want to talk to you, Or try to talk to you.

I get to talking to Thai where i live, Be it on the Street i live, In the condo tower.
Thai come and talk to me in Bus, trains, Sky Train, In shopping center, Even when i was out eating in restaurant.
People have stop me when i was out bicycle to talk, And from that got invite for food later on.

And of cause from my Thai wife family and her friends.
Special when family & Friends first see me, They invite me and my wife to come and eat.
Then the family (of my wife family & Friends) that was there, Like me, And therefor invite us to come to see them, And then again other people there see me, And invite, Simple because they like me.

Well that the way it have being for me, Hope you find a lot of good Thai friends.

Kindly.

Hi Steven,
I have just returned from my second visit to this beautiful country. I like you love having a chat, I speak very little Thai. I got along with google translate. If you treat the people with respect you will be treated the same. I am from Australia and I have just started the process with both governments on what paperwork I need to do so as I can retire in Chiang Mia.