Received an job offer to relocate to Bangkok and now I'm freaking out

Hello everybody,

My name is Danilo, and I've just received a job offer to relocate to Bangkok.
The salary offered is around USD6k.

I would be moving with my wife and a 7yr old daughter.

I'm not a reach person here and even not willing to get reach in Bangkok, but rather having at least the same good life that we have right now.

I see in a lot of forums diverging informations regarding salary, school, housing, life style, etc.

Can someone give me some light? Should I take it? Will I be able to offer a confortable life for my family? Good education for daughter? Have some money for leisure?

Please HELP!!!

(sorry, but I'm really freaking out)

Thanks...

Hello,
Don't you worry Bangkok is one of the best cities and Thailand one of the best countries I know. I don't know where you are from, but Bangkok is a safer city for security than most European and certainly American cities. You can put your daughter in an English school she will have good education. Living costs are relatively cheap compared to Europe. Thai people are very polite and courteous and if you have a young daughter children are very highly considered in Thailand.
More likely that after you won't want to go back to your home country!
Best of luck!
Tony

Profile says he is from Brazil.

If you're from Brazil people are basically the same although cultures are very different Brazil christian and Thailand Buddhist, The language barrier might be a problem because Thai people are very reserved but have the good intention towards others, which is what I experienced in Brazil.
The big difference is security! You don't have to be afraid to go out at night, or someone rob you at knife point!
For a Brazilian Thailand should be like a picnic!!

Thanks a lot Tony for your reply.
Yes I'm from Brazil.

My concern is not being able to provide at least the benefits that I currently provide for my family with the salary offered. The USD 6K is before tax... So this is why I'm so worried.

Any comments on this?

Thank you again.

Regards,

Danilo P.

Tell me what US 6k is in numbers.
Simply if your salary is paid by US or European company it will be largely enough to live on.
If it is a Thai company and thai level of salary, this will be less income.
1$ US is about 32 baht. The biggest expense will be renting an apartment, this depends on where you are working and where you want to live, because prices vary a lot according to location.
However there is an amazing public transport system, the sky train which runs at 4th story level above ground and an underground metro also.
The greater Bangkok area is really vast so really depends on where you are working, if it is far out you will have to use buses or a car.
All the best,
Tony

villagefarang wrote:

Frankly, I don't believe a single word of that OP statement. Just a gut feeling. :cool:

If you are not going to help... don't bother!

jana611 wrote:
villagefarang wrote:

Frankly, I don't believe a single word of that OP statement. Just a gut feeling. :cool:

Why would you believe i'm not being true?

Why would I lose my time into participating on a forum? For fun?

Put on a bet, and you will see!

Hi Danilinho,

Congratulations on your move.

Firstly, if the salary is better than your current position. It is one positive

Income tax here is a little high. For your bracket it should be around 25-30%

Your highest expenditures would likely be your apartment and private education for your daughter. To cut some costs and save time, I would recommend either staying near your work area or near your daughter's school - then you would have little reliance on having a car.

From my estimate, I think you will have a very decent expat life. If you are keen on the occasional travel, then maybe you will have little savings.

Come and visit the country first to see what it is like. Good luck

Thanks for the valuable response. I have already an spreadsheet open and I can see those costs with education and housing as the bad guys.

Thanks again.

JWNYsg wrote:

Hi Danilinho,

Congratulations on your move.

Firstly, if the salary is better than your current position. It is one positive

Income tax here is a little high. For your bracket it should be around 25-30%

Your highest expenditures would likely be your apartment and private education for your daughter. To cut some costs and save time, I would recommend either staying near your work area or near your daughter's school - then you would have little reliance on having a car.

From my estimate, I think you will have a very decent expat life. If you are keen on the occasional travel, then maybe you will have little savings.

Come and visit the country first to see what it is like. Good luck

no worries, small issue - help what we can

I am not sure originally where you are from, but i used to website to compare prices from Brazil capital (Rio) and Thailand (Bangkok)

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/c … Comparison

This gives you a rough idea of costs.

Also i am not sure of your position in the company but USD6K is quite decent for an expat for middle type management and certain experience in your industry. If you are a CEO - then of course this is low (apples to apples).

Luxuries will be expensive in Bangkok, but for everyday living it will be very decent with your salary.

Danilinho wrote:

If you are not going to help... don't bother!

Hello sir! This is an "opinion" posting platform. Intuitively, I suspect a degree of contextual insincerity in your OP statement. :cool:

Thus, I have the responsibility to share my considered opinion with other (sincerely helpful) members on the forum, despite their obvious naivete, in this regard. Afterwards, If they choose to pursue wasting their effort/time, then so be it.

Meanwhile, back-at-the-ranch ~ the HR department of the company that made the (ahem) lucrative $6K/mo. job offer, can also provide you with all the relocation data, and guidance required, to get both you, and your family comfortably  settled in Thailand.

Just the real world facts of the matter. Period! Best regards, and obrigado! :cheers:

Danilinho, a typical expat package will usually include accommodation or at least a housing subsidy, child education assistance and family health insurance; and if you're working for a good company probably a car plus annual return trips back home too. IF you're on an expat package! What you're being offered doesn't sound like that to me (I came here as an expat CEO from NY on a full expat package 22 years ago, and I admit that much has changed since then so I could be wrong).

At 7yo your daughter's schooling at an international school will probably cost around 30,000 baht/term, but by the time she's in secondary school costs by then could easily be above 200,000 baht/term including all the extras, as it was for my daughter who graduated last year.

$6,000 is not a big salary when you have 30% tax taken out. I'd be panicking too. Bangkok is not at all cheap unless you are living with a backpacker attitude and eating at street stalls which is not what you want for your family. Transport is still cheap, but food and particularly power isn't. Outside Bangkok in the country you can live like a king on a salary like that with everything being much cheaper, so a lot will depend on where your work is located.

And finally I'd note that health insurance is critical to have here now. Hospitals were once cheap, but now a decent private hospital is unaffordable without insurance, and a Government hospital isn't something you want to have to deal with. I say that from experience, dealing with cancer when I least expected it and spending over 1.4 million baht ($43,800) just for an operation, plus around 40,000 baht/month ($1,250 every month) on doctors and medication for the past few years. Fortunately my international health insurance covers it, but I'd be on the street if I'd had to pay it myself. It can all go bad for you in the blink of an eye, so it's best to have top health cover when you can't fall back on any public health services you might have access to back home. Don't take the posting without it!

And don't forget that the company should pay for ALL expenses moving here, including the deposit (possibly up to 3 months rent) you will have to pay for your apartment/house.

Other than that, Thailand is a great place to live and I wouldn't dream of spending the rest of my life anywhere else :). Come on over.

Thanks a lot Colin. In fact I've already accepted the job offer and I'll be moving next week.

You are right about the full expat package... Sadly I'm not getting a CEO position but a Senior Manager.
In this case, I see I'm very far from the full package... They will cover 100% of my moving and my first month accommodation. Schooling isn't in package as well. I regards to health insurance, at least I'm getting a good one.... Let's see what life has reserved for me.

Thanks again for the reply.

Good luck but I would say without education costs it isnt a great package. 200,000 baht is ok. its the min I would accept as a qualified teacher - paid by best 3 international schools in Bangkok - not management salary that would be significantly higher -  plus free schooling, full relocation expenses, annual flights home and extensive medical for all the family. Schooling costs in asia are rising at 16% pa so I read recently. 50,000 usd fees per year are normal now at the best schools! So you will have to compromise on the school.

Yeah... I know! Let's see what I'll be able to do. Rooting for the best.