Getting married in Serbia - U.S. & Serbian citizen

Hello everyone  :)

I am getting married to my Serbian fiance in the near future and need some advice regarding one document (my apostilled birth certificate) needed for the process (the other documents I am familiar with).

I have a sealed/ apostilled version of my birth certificate from 2015 when I first moved to Belgrade. The certificate was certified by the town then apostilled / sealed by the secretary of state in Massachusetts.

1. Does anyone know if the Serbian authorities will need a newer / more recent version?
2. Also does anyone know of an "official translator" here in Belgrade who will be able to then translate both the certificate and the apostille?

Any and all help is appreciated!
:heart:

You normally can get all that information from your nearest Embassy.

SimCityAt

I have corresponded with my embassy but they replied that they were unsure as to how updated the birth certificate had to be. Unfortunately they always tend to be limited in regards to information that is not in their jurisdiction, i.e. when it comes to the Serbian legal documentation side.  :unsure

Did you see the US Embassy website?

https://rs.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se … /marriage/

Thanks SimCityAt. Yes I have looked at the documents and emailed the embassy. I know the required documentation but simply want to know if they will accept an apostilled version from 2015. Most likely I will just order a new one by mail from USA just to be sure since most formal documents here require no older than 6 months.

I was just curious if anyone has experienced the process first hand  :)

Most countries require documents to be not older than 6 months. So to be sure I would request a new one.

Congratulations by the way :)

thank you  :gloria  and thanks for the advice!

Austria, France, UK, Spain, to name a few require 6 months or less. So a safe bet Serbia can be added to the list.

I was married in Serbia. I had to get apostle seal thru same service as does passports (sec of state i think). I paid a company to do it for me. It does take about 90 days to get though. And that was expedited by a firm i hired.

I did everything at the Secretary of State office in Chicago as far as apostolates are concerned. I acquired my birth certificate from the county clerks office first, then got the apostilled seal at the Sec of State office while still in the states. I believe every document had to be within 6 months.