Documents for confirming citizenship

Hello,

I would like to get Polish citizenship.

My grandfather (deceased) was born in Germany and had Polish citizenship.

His father was born in Poland and also had Polish citizenship. As did his father.

In the past year I've been on a documents search (by myself and with a lawyer). It failed so far.

I have documents from my country (Israel) from when my grandfather immigrated here that he states that he has Polish citizenship and that he left his Polish passport in the consulate before immigrating.

My lawyer strongly suggests not searching for the passport in the Polish archive (where it should be) because he says there may be factors that would then be discovered and disqualify me even if the passport is found there.

So I am trying to find other documents that can prove citizenship.

I have contacted the archives in my grandfathers city in Germany but other then his address, there's nothing there about a Polish citizenship.

I've also searched in geni.com, myheritage.com and all of those.. Just gravestone pictures of my great-grandfather stating his birth city in Poland (which now is part of Ukraine)..

Any creative ideas would be welcomed...

The question is whether he renounced his polish citizenship. In normal situation he would have to write a letter to the Polish President  declaring that he gives up his citizenship. I really doubt that he did that. In 1968 large number of Jews were expelled without passports. They were given temporary travel documents. Up to 1989 passports were given out at the government discretion. The passport you were looking for probably did not even exist. What year he immigrated to Israel? I do not understand why a lawyer would advise you to not to look for a passport. You absolutely have nothing to fear. You have a right to Polish citizenship regardless of what happened in the past. You need to establish that  your grandfather was in fact Polish citizen and it could be any type of a document like military booklet, birth certificate. If you know where he lived, you may have to search local archives. I strongly suggest contacting Polish consulate as they might be able to provide some guidance.