A new Expat in Delhi

Hi to everybody,

Im a International Chef that just will relocate within next week in Delhi, so for me will be my first experience in India, i would like to know if the location south Delhi, is suitable for expats foreigners like me, exactly near hauz khaz village.

i hope dont get so impressive about indian culture shock,eheheh, even i worked abroad for so many years around the globe, especially in south east asia.

maybe if im lucky i will know some nice person too, on this board and share our experience's life.

Regards

Giotto

Welcome on Expat.com Giotto ;)

Do not hesitate to log back to share your expat experience when you will land to Delhi next week ;) I guess it will be a challenging experience to be in a new land for the first time ;)

Regards

Ciao Giotto! Come stai? :)

South Delhi, especially Hauz Khas is a wonderful place to live. You will really like it there. A very beautiful and quiet area.
I stayed in Delhi for over 5 years and South Delhi is definitely the best place to live in Delhi. It's been over a year now since I moved to Bombay and sometimes I miss Delhi for it's wide open roads and such a variety of food! Now they also have a very well connected metro line so commuting within the city is not a problem either!

I might be there for the shoot of my film next month and cannot wait to experience the city all over again! :)

Ciao!
Vikas

Thanks to Yud and Soyvikas for the warm welcome :)

I just hope to have great time in Delhi, my new company provide me already with suitable indipendent house, car with privat driver, and others amenities, so this is a good start to begin this new challenge there.

Of course if by side i will be focus on my job to achieve the goal of what my company is looking for, i would like too, meet new good peoples to share our experience's.

i wanna ask, how they are seen foreigners from indian women ? its depend by status ? background ? i ask this cause i know in India, peoples judge by social status, is right ?

I hope to meet also some serious woman,ehehehheh.

Thanks again and God Bless you.

Giotto

hey.hauz khas is a cool place...near to my home...and best of luck for ya visit...:)

The kind of women you will meet will depend on your attitude. Women in Delhi are like anywhere else in the world- some are shallow(judging people by their statuses), while others are intelligent and sensible and couldn't care less what you do for a living as long you are an intelligent and a genuine guy. The kind of women you will attract will depend on your expectations so it's good that you are interested in serious women and not the frivolous ones! :)

Find some women who love music and try serenading them with Italian songs and poems and you should be fine.. But make sure you sing in tune otherwise it may backfire! hehehe
And ya, my name is Vikas. Soyvikas is 'I am Vikas' in Spanish- a language that I absolutely love apart from Italian!

Cheers!

ciao Giotto!!!
come va? dove stai allora? io tutto bene! :)
I am expat too! working with Chefs actually :) and South Delhi is a great place to live for sure!
You will enjoy very nice restaurants (Multi food)! and if you miss your Italian food (I do understand_even if I am not sure- that you are italian?!) you will also find good places to hang out! good bars/clubs...places to visit...lot of things to do actually!

if you need some advices: let me know! i ve been there since 2 months already! and i know the location!

ps: if you are a bit Tamarro with women...should be ok! (joking of course ;) )

keanu wrote:

hey.hauz khas is a cool place...near to my home...and best of luck for ya visit...:)

Thanks Keanu, and best of things you too :-)

soyvikas wrote:

The kind of women you will meet will depend on your attitude. Women in Delhi are like anywhere else in the world- some are shallow(judging people by their statuses), while others are intelligent and sensible and couldn't care less what you do for a living as long you are an intelligent and a genuine guy. The kind of women you will attract will depend on your expectations so it's good that you are interested in serious women and not the frivolous ones! :)

Find some women who love music and try serenading them with Italian songs and poems and you should be fine.. But make sure you sing in tune otherwise it may backfire! hehehe
And ya, my name is Vikas. Soyvikas is 'I am Vikas' in Spanish- a language that I absolutely love apart from Italian!

Cheers!

Hi Vikas, thanks for your precious  advice, i will keep good in my mind,ehehehhe.

yes i wanna connect only with serious peoples, i dont like waste so much my time in frivolous things.

Cheers :-)

CelineF wrote:

ciao Giotto!!!
come va? dove stai allora? io tutto bene! :)
I am expat too! working with Chefs actually :) and South Delhi is a great place to live for sure!
You will enjoy very nice restaurants (Multi food)! and if you miss your Italian food (I do understand_even if I am not sure- that you are italian?!) you will also find good places to hang out! good bars/clubs...places to visit...lot of things to do actually!

if you need some advices: let me know! i ve been there since 2 months already! and i know the location!

ps: if you are a bit Tamarro with women...should be ok! (joking of course ;) )

Céline Bonsoir, je vois que tu parles italien assez bien, eheheheh.

Êtes-vous français? oui je suis 100% italienne, ehehehhe. Je ne parle un peu français, j'ai étudié seulement à l'école.

Thanks for your warm greeting, and hope to have good time as do you have too. Yes my company relocate me in south delhi, very near to haus khaz village, so its not so crowd , as they told me, i will be there in the next 3 days, cause im finish to package everything. I will stay there for so long, as my contract is done for two years. Im not tamarro,ahahahhaha, im very gentleman and polite too,eheheheh.

Very nice you are a Chef too, at least we can share our experience and also about our professional skill :-)

Namaste' ;-)

heheheh !! sorry i didn t see you reply
yes parlare un po' mio italianoo

actually; i am not a Chef; even if i love cooking! i am just working among with some chefs because my company is dealing with gourmet products!

i hope you had settle down well in Delhi and we ll catch up later!!

and better to not be molto tamarro in India! :) hehehe

Im here in Delhi, and first impression is just a hot weather, fortunally, i live in quiet area, defense colony, just 10 meter from sky train, shoppingmall, and parkgreen.

my job is in haus khaz, a artist cool area, full of art gallery shop, and ancient archeological site.

for further feedback and impression i will post in next days, but i just say that i like here :)

CelineF wrote:

and better to not be molto tamarro in India! :) hehehe

sorry im not a tamarro, im a professional businessman, that just relocate here for work,eheheheh. hope u no had bad experience with others italian, cause often u keep "tamarro" word in your phrases :rolleyes:

ahahahh no i didn t have!! my best friend is Italian! :) in the opposite way, i love Italian people! :) no issues with that! i hope you will have a great time here, quite different from Italy but you still have nice restaurant to remember your food from home!!

Hey Man...  I arrived in New Delhi, just over two months ago and know a bit how you will going through.  I work for a multi national company and will be here for the next couple of years.

If you need someone to talk too or just to hangout, please do not hesitate to contact me...

I am in Gurgaon close to South Delhi, about an between 30 minutes, to an 1 hour away from Delhi depending on traffic of course.

Hope you enjoy your time in Incredible India...
Eugenio

Hey Giotto, Celine and Eothello

So I'm coming to Delhi tomorrow for a short film shoot and will be there until I complete it. It's been almost a year and a half since I've been away from Delhi and almost everyone tells me that the city has changed a lot. Whether it's for better or for worse, I'll get to know tomorrow morning. :)

If any of you guys want to meet up and hang out, let me know. I'll be staying at a friend's place bang opposite Select Citywalk in Saket. I'm waiting to experience Delhi all over again with fresh eyes and you guys could give me some much needed objectivity! :-)

Adios, au revoir et ciao! :-)
Vikas
mailvikask(at)gmail(dot)com

CelineF wrote:

ahahahh no i didn t have!! my best friend is Italian! :) in the opposite way, i love Italian people! :) no issues with that! i hope you will have a great time here, quite different from Italy but you still have nice restaurant to remember your food from home!!

Hi Celine, hope u have a good time too, at moment i cant say so much about here, coz im just arrived, and after finish work i back home, i dont know nobody here,ehehhe, only just my collegues but they have own privat life.

the place where i live is pretty nice, is called defense colony, quiet and clean.

I love indian food too, especially many things vegetarian are so tastefully.

ps: the pic you have in your profile is about you ?

EOthello wrote:

Hey Man...  I arrived in New Delhi, just over two months ago and know a bit how you will going through.  I work for a multi national company and will be here for the next couple of years.

If you need someone to talk too or just to hangout, please do not hesitate to contact me...

I am in Gurgaon close to South Delhi, about an between 30 minutes, to an 1 hour away from Delhi depending on traffic of course.

Hope you enjoy your time in Incredible India...
Eugenio

Hi Eugenio, nice to meet u here, so will we stay here pretty long. Yes it will be great meet you, at least i have a new friend in Delhi, and share our experience, but im able do that on suday coz, all week i come at home littlebite late.

Do u like here ? where do you come from ?

have good time :-)

soyvikas wrote:

Hey Giotto, Celine and Eothello

So I'm coming to Delhi tomorrow for a short film shoot and will be there until I complete it. It's been almost a year and a half since I've been away from Delhi and almost everyone tells me that the city has changed a lot. Whether it's for better or for worse, I'll get to know tomorrow morning. :)

If any of you guys want to meet up and hang out, let me know. I'll be staying at a friend's place bang opposite Select Citywalk in Saket. I'm waiting to experience Delhi all over again with fresh eyes and you guys could give me some much needed objectivity! :-)

Adios, au revoir et ciao! :-)
Vikas
mailvikask(at)gmail(dot)com

Hi Vikas, welcomeback to Delhi,eheheheh, i have a chance to make a short part in your movie ? ehehehehhe, joking.... :-)

so for how long u will stay here ? i dont know if in one year u see things changed here, maybe some new building, or some new road, but you know much better than us for sure, im a newbie here,ehehehhe.

as told to Eugenio im able to meet all of you only on sunday time, so for me its ok, wish you good time, and take good care of you.

Bye4now

hey regazzo!!!

yes it is my picture! i don t put fake pictures! ahhaha :)

defense colony! go to Moet bar : you ll like it for sure!! and the restaurant "ca va " is ok let s say :)
and don t worry, you are in a very expat and nice area! :)
if you want to meet people, be aware of some parties on thursday (Urban pind for instance!) for foreigners!

Hi Celine are you doing ? hope fine,

about your suggestion I been already in market defence colony, and i saw the places that you mentioneted, and I can say, in my opinion nothing so special, just normal place for me.

About where i live , i agree with you, its very very nice area comparated with others,ehehheh, opposite my home i have a nice park, where i can do jogging, i have very close also a skytrain, but i didnt use it, coz my company provifde me a privat driver with car for my transfer around the city and my job, and what can say more, aahhhhh , it damn hot here !!

wish you good time too here and God bless you always !

:) hey fine and u?!! bit tired but awesome! just came back from the NGO where i am giving some time for kids! :) apart from work! it is really nice ! :)

yes it s hot...don t worry..just the start! :)

I arrived here yesterday and I'm looking at everything with wide open eyes! lol Some things have surely changed since I left and the way cities work is also different, so I'm trying to remember how one needs to behave in Delhi so as to blend in with everyone! hahaha
Well, I'd surely write a role for an Italian some day and then I'll contact you! haha But this film is about a 12-14 year old kid and what happens to him on a Sunday morning when he's sent on a simple errand by his mother. This simple task becomes quite an adventure for him! :)  Everyone I narrated the story to liked it, so I'm hoping the film turns out well!
Right now, I'm trying to find out good locations for the film and also the main character. It'll be a challenge to find the perfect kid and we are planning to go to some NGOs for the same. Let's see!

Yeah, we can definitely plan something on a Sunday. As I said, I'm staying near the Select citywalk in Saket which could be a nice place to meet. Let me know.
Hope to meet some interesting people during my stay here! :)

Ciao!

@ Celine- I'm sure Giotto is a thorough gentleman and not a tamarro! hehehe
Right, Giotto? ;)

i was joking!!! Vikas!!! :) citywalk is very nice to hang out and you get also nice places for dinner and all :) enjoy!!

I know you were joking! I was also joking with Giotto!! hahaha :D
You are right, citywalk is really a nice place. I haven't had a lot of time to roam around but plan to do that in the coming days.
Care to join? :)

soyvikas wrote:

I arrived here yesterday and I'm looking at everything with wide open eyes! lol Some things have surely changed since I left and the way cities work is also different, so I'm trying to remember how one needs to behave in Delhi so as to blend in with everyone! hahaha
Well, I'd surely write a role for an Italian some day and then I'll contact you! haha But this film is about a 12-14 year old kid and what happens to him on a Sunday morning when he's sent on a simple errand by his mother. This simple task becomes quite an adventure for him! :)  Everyone I narrated the story to liked it, so I'm hoping the film turns out well!
Right now, I'm trying to find out good locations for the film and also the main character. It'll be a challenge to find the perfect kid and we are planning to go to some NGOs for the same. Let's see!

Yeah, we can definitely plan something on a Sunday. As I said, I'm staying near the Select citywalk in Saket which could be a nice place to meet. Let me know.
Hope to meet some interesting people during my stay here! :)

Ciao!

Hi Vykas, welcome here in Delhi,eheheh, hope u get a nice trip and u found what are you looking for, also i wish you a good success in your short movie. yes you are right im not tamarro,eheheheh i hate too those kind of peoples.

i dont know where is citywalk and honsetly i dont know nothing about here, just went only to some restaurant, one is called "olive", another one is "tonino", another one is "circa" this is for my job , plus i visit all colony market area, but after awhile i get bored coz is the same stuff.

Have a good time and keep in touch :-)

Namaste'!

CelineF wrote:

:) hey fine and u?!! bit tired but awesome! just came back from the NGO where i am giving some time for kids! :) apart from work! it is really nice ! :)

yes it s hot...don t worry..just the start! :)

Yes i know im just starting here, but hope the things will change better,eheheheh.

is very good you help the childrens, and u use your precious time for this kind of generosity, that mean you have really a good heart :-)

I been a couples day before in office immigration to register my permanent residence, i got crazy, wait so many hours, so crowd of peoples, and so damned hot hot.

Here now about Delhi what i can say ? first impression is nice, the peoples here are very friendly, but i need to know much better this city, and sure there will be something that i missed,ehehehhe.

Take good care of you and have always a good time.

Hi Giotto and other guys,
sorry for posting here. I am going to be in Delhi (Gurgaon) for quite a while and looking to hookup with some expats for a quick crash course into the country/city.
Hope to find some friendly contact here ... :)
THX
CIAO
CIPO

Hey man,

Today Giotto and I where in old Delhi and had a great time just walking about!

I am still in Gurgaon, DLF II...

We need to make plans and get together.

Eugenio

Hi, will be in PhaseV (I guess) but coming in 3 weeks time :) will PM you. thx
ciao
cipo

(moderated: off topic + please stop copy paste the same msg in all the forums. thank you)

hey you have a good number of friends. This is good thing of India. People well come wholeheartedly. I am an India I would love to meet foreigners I would like to meet you also tell me how may I get in touch with you? I live very near to hauz Khas. I live in J.N.U a central university of India. This university is itself a nice place to visit. I hope you will give me a chance to see you here.

Cipo wrote:

Hi Giotto and other guys,
sorry for posting here. I am going to be in Delhi (Gurgaon) for quite a while and looking to hookup with some expats for a quick crash course into the country/city.
Hope to find some friendly contact here ... :)
THX
CIAO
CIPO

Hi Cipo, nice to meet you here,ehehehhe, we are glad to meet you, as we know is always positive to meet others foreigners and expat abroad, especially here in Delhi.

just keep in touch by pm and we can discuss when we could see, obviously from my side am free only in the weekend cause on week days i work.

have good time.

Giotto

Hi...I've been doing some research because I may be moving there...I've seen alot of ads from a Grandeur Relocation Services that helps expats find serviced apartments...check out Craigslist India Delhi for the ads....hope that helps.

Heather

Its almost 20 days im here, and what can say ? with Eugenio alias Eothello we went to Old DElhi, its been a very funny time, really culture shock, the city , slowly slowly i start to know, more and more.

indian peoples also are very friendly and nice too, and give you help if you treat them with respect.

im just ask to the local indian or even expats from Delhi one help, im looking for the best of the best chocolaterie shop of the city , someone can give me a good address ? and also im looking for a Pastry chef too with professional background, someone could be interested please send me a pm.

Kindly Regards

Giotto

Hi Giotto,

There is this shop in Hauz khaz, called chocolics, and i know of a kiosk in select city walk... some amazing handmade chocolates they sell.

Let me know if you need some more info or help while in the city. I stay in GK-I, and its very close to Def colony. I stayed there too for some time. I think there is a chocolaterie there as well.

I put my first ads, on delhi classified, if someone is interested please check it out, i have some offer job for those are looking for in Hospitality Industry, only people with professional skill, no scammers, thanks.

For more details please send me pm.

Giotto

Yesterday we got a good time along Cipo and Eothello aka Eugenio. We went at morning time, take a coffe in KAMHAL market, then we spent half day in a old delhi district, was crowd, but was good also the weather, not so bad.

We back home at early evening and we had a dinner in my flat terrace, with a good view , chilli air fresh air, nd good food too.

Thanks guys , for a very good time we spent togheter.

Giotto

Especially the excellent italian food ;) I was longing for it after 2 weeks of local stuff :)
Time to plan the barbecue party in your terrace ;)

CIPO