Temporary Internet Data on arrival as Expat

Hello

Could you help please with the below based on your own experiences and any other ideas you have.

I'd like a sense-check on my plans to get internet data when I arrive in Malaysia as an expat. I'm assuming that I won't be able to get a mobile contract or internet for my apartment until I have a bank account therefore there will be a lag (I think 3 weeks) during which time I will need internet access.

Both my mobile phone and my partner's are locked to a particular mobile provider in the UK. Therefore I think that buying a local SIM card for a short duration isn't really an option.

Therefore, what we are planning to do is:
- Buy a portable wifi device as we can both connect to this when we are together
- Purchase a month's data for this device
- Get our Malaysia mobile contracts during that month
- Purchase some UK roaming data by the day (2-3 days) until we can get the portable wifi device and data

We've looked into renting phones or portable wifi from the airport but this seems as expensive as our plan, without the benefit of keeping the portable wifi device.

But we'd be very interested in your thoughts. What did you do when you arrived as an expat in Malaysia? Do you have any alternative ideas for our situation?

Rhinola

** There are PREPAID internet data options with a local phone SIM.

**Once you have an address and EP/MM2H in passport, you can instal internet in the property and pay online via website anyway you want or at the post office. (Need EP/MM2H and into letter to open a bank account)

** Use data pack on phone to create a hotspot to connect to say computer, tablet, etc.

**Buying a local SIM is not sufficient. The phone needs unlocking to use in Malaysia.

**PREPAID is available at the airport on arrival (can then get post paid later using same number when you have address and EP/MM2H). Buy a data pack using the credit you have purchased for the phone to get internet access. Its all done on the phone by choosing options and keying in choice.

**With Maxis PREPAID there is prefix of *123* for cheap international calls.

** Until you have your work permit or MM2H and address can't do so much about POSTPAID phone/data and internet

** Plenty on wifi available everywhere.

Some info about POSTPAID is available at www.imoney.my under Broadband.

Note that although companies advertise 2 year contracts, 1 year contracts are available by paying a small upfront fee. There is a fee for breaking contracts in Malaysia. A contract is an agreement to pay the monthly charge otherwise. Contracts don't stop say after 2 years so its important to actually cancel them if they are not required.

TIME is usually the best internet if available at a particular address (check coverage).

This link explains the various PREPAID internet packages or connections on offer

https://ringgitplus.com/en/internet/mob … d/prepaid/

There's also Malaysia Telcom that offers a packages of Hi-Speed Internet, TV, and a home phone.

https://unifi.com.my/unifi-en/index.page