Pro's & Con's of where to live in Thailand?

Hi everyone,
My wife & I are seriously thinking of living in Thailand for a year or so to get the feel of the place.
When we looked on the Aust. Gov website it read like a terror hell hole.
We are not sure which part of the country to live in. We hear the big cities are more expensive and very busy. The ocean areas and island are nice but expensive and Chang Mai is a good all round place to live.
We would love to hear your thoughts.

There are those who use Chiang Mai as a base point to live. They learn the in's and out's of Thai living, to whatever degree. And then there are those who use CM as their base point and explore many places, both in and out of country. In Thailand the further out of the city the more help you could use with learning the Thai language.
Last count I heard was that CM has 30,000 expats living in the city, from a variety of  countries (generally; US, England, Australia, Canada, and many more). During the winter there are many more internationals arriving for a short or extended vacation. So, in the core city English is the international language which also gives one the opportunity to try food other then Thai.

First thing to check is your elligibility for certain visas. Its not easy to stay long term in Thailand . Thai authorities make it difficult for reasons which are unclear. They only want wealthy investors, wealthy retirees , backpackers and long term tourists arent welcome long term .

Take a look at the news and you might get an idea why Thai authorities are trying to close some of the visa loopholes to keep the riffraff out.  There was a good example here in Chiang Rai recently, with one of our local expats headlining the news for being up to no good.

As for the Pro's and Con's, they vary from individual to individual.  I lived 30 years in Bangkok and enjoyed what it had to offer and now I have lived in Chiang Rai for the last 11years and enjoy what it has to offer as well.

(Then and Than are not interchangeable)

Depends what your long time goal is.

I lived for 7 months in Thailand. Visas can be a hassle depending on your situation.

I am coming up for 12 months in Vung Tau Vietnam. Once again depending on your situation this could be your best option.. You can get 2 years here like steam. Yell out if you need a hand.

Hi!
Thanks for the info on Vung Tau.
How do do you like it?
How about Nha Trang?
We live near Hua Hin. Am interested in what your city may have to offer.
Ric

I have many houses in Surin Province. If someone want to have a new wonderful life in Thailand , this city is cheaper cost of living and has many interesting place around here. As my UK husband said , he's living here almost  15 years. We can arrange for visa , accommodation and car for you.
cheers,
Tip

So funny you mention Nha Trang. Basically, it was the toss of a coin VT or NT. I visited NT on the way back from the Philippines. Man, did I back a winner? VT is a little nugget. NT is basically a Russian tourist destination. Planes from Moscow every day. Make this your base you will not go wrong. Guaranteed. I have been all over. You can fly to Hanoi for under $100 come back by Train to Da Nang Get off to go to Hoi Ann. Get on and off all the way down to Saigon. Cheap trip.