Expat Hospital Health Insurance

Howdy guys. Anyone had any dealings with Cignaglobal or WRLife Insurance companies?   I'd like to hear comments both good and bad. Considering going with one of them but can only seem to trace down reviews on their own sites. Maybe they could be a bit biased but not sure. Any help sorting out the good from the bad to the terrible would be appreciated. Cheers and stay safe. Kiwi Kid

I know many international clients choosing Cignaglobal and Aetna, quite same level of service, both of them are leading global Insurers, high-class service, good benefits. Request for all quotations, do a comparison and choose what you prefer.

P/s: I think I have to do some researches about WRLife :v

WRLife. Hummmm. Cancelled my policy in April ..... still waiting for my 6K refund!  So glad I'm a millionaire.... not!! Not happy Jan!! 😖😖😖😖

My brother (David) has been with WRLife since the beginning of the year.  In that short time they have deducted his quarterly installments six times (you work out the math).   Due to their questionable behaviour he cancelled his subscription and demanded a refund.  They refused.  He subsequently advised that he would spread the word relating to their poor ethics if they did not accept their responsibility and comply with an immediate refund.  What do you know?  They have now threatened him with Legal Action.   I suggest this ploy is certainly on the wrong-foot, and that they should shut-up and pay-up while they are ahead.    Goodness, I would suggest that this isn't an English company at all, and I have visions of many people crowded into a small Nigerian tenement - but that would be an insult to Nigerians.    And thank you WRLife for giving me the opportunity to have fun with you and smear your name.    And that sounds like the least you deserve.   
Dr Colin (David's littel bruvver).

There are more posts on the Expat sites about WRLife. One post lists some of their financials. Sounds like a ripoff.

My wife can help you with health insurance. She works with CHUBB and recently signed up an expat customer out in D9. If you're interested contact me via private chat.

However, she just rushed her 80 year old father into emergency with a blood infection last night and may be up in the hospital with him for a week, so please hold tight and be patient.

drutter wrote:

However, she just rushed her 80 year old father into emergency with a blood infection last night and may be up in the hospital with him for a week, so please hold tight and be patient.

Speaking of which, Mrs Rutter asked me to relay a message to expats everywhere and in Saigon especially.

Based on her experience of being turned away from 5 hospitals in Saigon, she said our chance to be admitted even for very serious reason is slim to none.  If it's not Covid, the answer would more than likely be "no", she said.  Therefore, she warned us all to be vigilant with our health at all time.

My best wishes to the Rutters, especially Mrs Rutter's father.

Thank you, Ciambella.

Ciambella wrote:
drutter wrote:

Speaking of which, Mrs Rutter asked me to relay a message to expats everywhere and in Saigon especially.

Based on her experience of being turned away from 5 hospitals in Saigon, she said our chance to be admitted even for very serious reason is slim to none.  If it's not Covid, the answer would more than likely be "no", she said.  Therefore, she warned us all to be vigilant with our health at all time.

Most hospitals in Saigon area are undermanned due to the lockdown. I have two very dear friends who are doctors and neither one can resume normal work. One is the Head of Internal Medicine but can't go to the hospital. The other has a private practice and can only deal with local patients. Both are volunteering by working at local clinics within their lockdown areas.
Praying for Mrs. Rutter's father. This is a terrible time to be ill in Vietnam.

Ciambella wrote:
drutter wrote:

It might be less worrisome if you could be more specific as this is potentially very serious situation & concern for some expats. Are the 5 hospitals quoted private or state?

My wife just said 5 hospitals but I'm 99% sure they were all public.

drutter wrote:

My wife just said 5 hospitals but I'm 99% sure they were all public.

Since this post was made I have sent off 2 e mails to my contacts at FV & Care Plus asking for clarification on the situations at their hospitals. I will post their replies & hopefully clarify & possibly put some peoples minds at rest.

colbrown64 wrote:

My brother (David) has been with WRLife since the beginning of the year.  In that short time they have deducted his quarterly installments six times (you work out the math).   Due to their questionable behaviour he cancelled his subscription and demanded a refund.  They refused.  He subsequently advised that he would spread the word relating to their poor ethics if they did not accept their responsibility and comply with an immediate refund.  What do you know?  They have now threatened him with Legal Action.   I suggest this ploy is certainly on the wrong-foot, and that they should shut-up and pay-up while they are ahead.    Goodness, I would suggest that this isn't an English company at all, and I have visions of many people crowded into a small Nigerian tenement - but that would be an insult to Nigerians.    And thank you WRLife for giving me the opportunity to have fun with you and smear your name.    And that sounds like the least you deserve.   
Dr Colin (David's littel bruvver).

Not saying this is the case with your brother but as with everything in life (well as far as my experience goes) you pay for what you get.
I have had 2 private health insurances over my working life one with BUPA a company insurance & it was absolutely first class. I had a major illness just a week into retirement (my company covered me for 1 year into retirement) & BUPA covered everything from hotel bills in BKK when in out patient, to meds, to out patient, to single room inpatient at Bumrungrad Hospital BKK to the tune of in excess of 250,000usd & never once questioned the treatment & their help desk & access to a doctor for second opinions on my treatment. Luckily I am in remission for Rheumatoid Arthritis after their treatment & have been for 3 years now.

After that BUPA cover finished I did extensive on line research regarding cover & cover I could afford & eventually went with Regency for Expats & have been with them for 4 plus years. In that time I have had 3 claims paid within 3 days of claim going in & this year they actually reduced my yearly payment by 9%. I have also written confirmation that I am fully covered for any treatment relating to Covid 19.

As far as med insurance goes my advice is.........research the company on the internet & check reviews. Check if anyone you know has cover with them & ask for recommendation. Check like for like cover & costs in at least 3 different companies & make your decision.

Good luck, its a minefield out there

goodolboy wrote:

It might be less worrisome if you could be more specific as this is potentially very serious situation & concern for some expats. Are the 5 hospitals quoted private or state?

I just had a conversation with Mrs Rutter an hour ago.  Her answer to your question: they're both private and public hospitals. 

She gave me the names of all the hospitals but asked me not to mention them specifically, just that two are hospitals for high-ranking military and government officials (I know of both; they're excellent hospitals), two are private and small (one of the two was closed for some reason), and one is the largest hospital in the country (we all know its name.)  Her father was finally admitted to Bệnh Viện Đại học Y Dược, the most trusted medical university hospital in Saigon, went through a surgery, and now seems to be in stable condition although she has yet to have further contact with the doctors.

The first obstacle she faced was transportation.  Ambulance wasn't available; a Grab driver drove both her and her father on his bike, then at one checkpoint, a Công An volunteered to help and his uniform made things easier when they ran around town from one hospital to another.

The second difficulty was that all hospitals are isolation units, so she has to stay for the duration of her father's stay because if she goes home for any reason, she'll not be allowed to return. 

Her messages to expats:

- Establish a local network so you'll have someone to help if you must go to hospital.  That someone should have good transportation.
- Ask for help from every authority figure you come across.
- If you have a companion who is willing to be in the hospital with you ("be in the hospital" actually mean "sitting and sleeping in the waiting room"), then such companion must come prepared -- change of clothing, convenient food, personal medication, book or electronic device with charging cable.

Cannot stress the transport bit highly enough. I was unfortunate enough to be at the scene of an accident in D2 recently, lorry driver playing on his phone physically run over a girl and her mother in their scooter.. scooter was completely under the rear wheels.

Luckily someone flagged down an ambulance coming the other way.

Mother just bruised but the girl had blood coming from ahead wound. I tried to explain removed the helmet is not recommended until she arrive at the hospital . But they did anyway, fortunately no missing bits of skull.

Shocked to see the ambulance interior.. full of building materials and trash.. they driver managed to wedge her in somehow and away they went.

I have no idea of the outcome.. but that amublance isn't exactly what I would call clean or sanitary..

Jlgarbutt wrote:

Cannot stress the transport bit highly enough. I was unfortunate enough to be at the scene of an accident in D2 recently, lorry driver playing on his phone physically run over a girl and her mother in their scooter.. scooter was completely under the rear wheels.

Mother just bruised but the girl had blood coming from ahead wound. I tried to explain removed the helmet is not recommended until she arrive at the hospital . But they did anyway, fortunately no missing bits of skull.

Shocked to see the ambulance interior.. full of building materials and trash.. they driver managed to wedge her in somehow and away they went.

I have no idea of the outcome.. but that amublance isn't exactly what I would call clean or sanitary..

Just hire your own ambulance like this guy.

Ambulance for hire

colinoscapee wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

Ambulance for hire

Why doesn't that surprise me?

Jlgarbutt wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

Ambulance for hire

Why doesn't that surprise me?

Im sure the hospital official who hired has no sense of wrongdoing.

when the issue was raised probably responded with "it's okay..."

@Leigh Packanen

I have WRLife no issues any details needed message or email me. :)

Best Regards

Robert Tyrrell/ Retired American 🇺🇸 Expat living in Thailand :)

@Klingon

Please check date of post before replying, his post was back in 2018

@Klingon63 You state no issues. therefore you must have already claimed from WrLife and received a refund.  If not, define 'no issues'.