New, Anyone have advice on Michoacan?

Hello! I signed up on this site long ago and never used it. I am very seriously considering relocation in the next couple of years to Mexico. I am wondering if anyone has any experiences in Michoacan that they can share, as far as forigner friendly and safer areas. I like the country and have seen listings for property by Patzcuaro but I question its safety. Also Urupan seems interesting. I have been all over Jalisco, Sinaloa, and Durango and loved those states too. But theere are clearly places one can live and places to avoid. My next trip will be to Michoacan and I'd love some pointers. I'm American, but speak basic Spanish too.

I have lived in Michoacán for three years,in Morelia.Great weather beautiful city and very safe.Patzcuaro is fine also although I would stay away from Uroapan.There are very few English speakers so a basic grasp of Spanish would help.

Thank you. I can use Spanish if I must but really am not comfortable with the language yet.

StarrQuirt wrote:

Thank you. I can use Spanish if I must but really am not comfortable with the language yet.

Duolingo every day without fail will help with that, then just get out there and use it mistakes and all. It's not just the language it's the sound of the language.