Visa leniency with Grad Students spouses?

Hello Takk, Welcome on board :)

So, you are traveling on visit visa while your husband is on Student visa! Am I right?

May be you can opt for the temporary resident visa if you wish to stay with your husband during the course of his study in Iceland.

Regards

I'm not sure what you mean by visa leniency. If you're here and plan to stay longer than 3 months, you need a visa, regardless of why you're here.

is your husband here for a doctorate program? If so, I think you'd qualify for the family reunification category.

otherwise, the student visa might be the best option.

one thing to consider though, is that all these types of visas expect that you are applying from OUTSIDE the country. It's clearly stated on all the visa information pages.

family reunification:
http://utl.is/index.php?option=com_cont … 52&lang=en

study:
http://utl.is/index.php?option=com_cont … 27&lang=en

I have known of several stories involving people living here who weren't on an appropriate visa, and they did run into problems (one foreigner engaged to an Icelander who got stuck in England because he'd overstayed the "free" 3 months by a few days, for example). Personally, I wouldn't gamble with the visa situation and hope for leniency if you intend to stay here.

I would also add that coming here from the US (anywhere outside the EEA really) involves a few extra hurdles. Primarily, you need a Kennitala (Icelandic social security number) in order to do much of anything, including fill out the residence and/or work permit applications, and it can take a couple of months just for that step.

There's this bizarre catch-22 where you need a Kennitala to get a residence permit so you can live here, and you have to live here to get a Kennitala. In my case, the workaround was to let the health insurance company apply for a Kennitala on my behalf, and since you have to purchase private insurance for your first six months here anyway, that seemed to be a fairly common way to do it. Maybe there's a faster way to do it -- my employer hadn't gone through the process before and didn't really know all the steps involved. But it took me about two months to get the Kennitala and another 1.5 or so to get my permits approved, so it's worth making sure you have all that lined up as quickly as possible.

I'm not sure what category Yud is talking to, since all the temporary residence permits still require some kind of reason to be here. The reason is based on family connections, study, or work.

but the school is probably more familiar with situations like yours and can hopefully help you better.

hi
i am from india.i am indian citizen.curretly im stdying in NZ.please tel me the option to get PR??

naveenx- You do realize you posted on the Iceland forum, right? All your other posts are in south american countries, and your profile lists Paraguay as your destination of interest.

hi
thanks for reply..I am also luking for iceland...pls telme th option  to get PR

to achieve permanent residency in Iceland you need to be on the same type of temporary residence permit for 4 years, have paid your taxes, be employed, and be able to pass a test on the Icelandic language (written, spoken, and comprehension). There are additional requirements, listed here:

http://utl.is/index.php?option=com_cont … 90&lang=en