Successes in your career in Spain

Hello,

Becoming an expat means starting over in a new country, and a lot of times that also means starting over in your career as well.

How have your skills and experiences evolved since moving to Spain?

What does being successful in your career mean to you?

Can you share some tips about what to do and what to avoid in order to advance in your professional career in Spain?

Can you share an inspirational career story with us?

Did you have to change careers or adapt your career to fit the job demands in Spain?

How do you balance a successful career with your personal and social life?

What are the benefits of having work experience in different countries?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

I am not willing to answer this on the grounds of privacy.
The question goes that bit too far for me.

Hi RibeiraSacra,

No problem, We respect your choice.

:cheers:
Bhavna

I should have added to may first post I do like the idea of encouraging engagement with the forum.  :)

Hi,
For me it's different, I don't need to look for work as we are retired. My working life was in Sweden/Australia.
We love it here & enjoy our life to the fullest.
Missing family is no longer a problem as you have Skype, messenger to keep in touch. It works well for us.
I have studied Spanish for 6 months and it's mainly learning grammatically.
I would like to have a conversation course, that would suit me better as I would like to talk with the locals.
Appreciate any information about this as I have not find anything here in Sabinillas.
Cheers

Ringtrom.     When I started learning Spanish i joined the public library and took books from the  junior section building up to simple books in the adult section. 

I always stuck to the more or less  english authors who had been translated into Spanish. Such as HG Wells, Agatha Christie, jules Verne, etc. and avoided those who wrote with complex storylines

I found CP James in Spanish particularly helpful as she repeats everything over and over Thus making it simple to understand.

I was single at the time and found a Spanish g f who could not speak english and I started a voluntary  translator service with the national police.  That meant I had to jump in.  It helped a lot

Thanks for your information, much appreciated

I'm disappointed. I do not know whether in peninsular Spain is the same, but here in Tenerife and the Canary Islands, employers do not appreciate human resources.
You can have the best skills or the best experience, you will not get more to a waiter or a car driver job.
I have seen many European managers, university graduates, with top skils and a lot experience, working as waiters or car drivers.
If Europe is a hunt for the best employees, here skills or experience does not matter.
If you can work for free as a robot, it's ok. They can frequently change the human resource with Colombians, Venezuelans, Moroccans or other nations who accept to work for nothing.
In essence, the quality of servants is the reflection of the quality of the human resource.
:(

I am semi-retired and when at our house in Spain I can do the work for the English company I work for remotely online as long as our wifii is up and running.   So nothing I can add to the forum other than like many people today, I can work anywhere there is wifii access. 

Terrylee

Thanks so much for this post, we're moving to Spain next month (valencia) .

My partner is a fire and security engineer and has some work in Madrid, although quite far from where we will be living, so we are looking for other options. Our Spanish is not great at the moment, which will be our issue but I'm  willing to do anything to make our new life a success!

I'm currently looking at franchises and for the time being will be setting up In vending machines until we can get our heads around a better plan, so I would love to hear others ideas.